Too Good to Be True? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Idaho Savage

GOLD Star
Threads
I've been looking to get back into the FJ80 game and came across this rig and a few like it on Ebay. It's exactly what I want, down to the color, but man, seems unlikely to me.

Now I've never been to Upstate NY but I can't fathom how a rig from there could have so little rust. It definitely makes me suspect.

Anyone have any input or experience with this seller (they have a handful of nice 80's)?

Thanks!

only an in person inspection would ease your mind i reckon.

the underneath pic's, looks like its been cleaned and sprayed with matt black
heater tap looks like its on the way out - nice shade of brown :(

Please take a look at the links in this thread before you bid.

Having lived in upstate NY and still having family there I can tell you unless that car was never driven in the winter it's too good to be true. My familys cars rust out after about 5-6 years from the road salt used there.

Personally I'd pass. There are plenty of clean cruisers on our side of the country that are affordable and you can easily inspect in person. Seattle and Portland have a ton of them and most are relatively rust free. If you're patient one that you want will come up.

Please take a look at the links in this thread before you bid.
This is exactly why I love this place. Thank you.

Trust in your instincts @Idaho Savage

tenor.gif

* What's with the black airbox latches and thumbscrew? Those should be cadmium/yellow zinc. Someone's gone to town with a can of Trim Black.
* Where is the heat shield for the exhaust headers? Probably rusted off.
* Red silicone hoses. Ew. Silicone hoses constantly ooze coolant, it's gross and I regret doing it on a motorcycle of mine.
* Some kind of aftermarket horns with garbage Autozone crimp connectors on them.
* Uh, what's going on above the brake booster? I'm guessing that's an alarm siren pointing down, but what's with the hose looped around it?! Looks like it ties into the air conditioning line.
* Is there a random red wire to the left of the heater control valve going under the wipers?! Seems to proceed to the left, under the wiper motor.
* That frame and undercarriage is painted af. I don't know about other 80s, but the underside of *mine* is body color (emerald green)
* Scuffs on the front edge of the rear lower control arms. So it got offroaded *after* the undercarriage paint job...
* Doesn't even have a battery tie-down of any kind. Hello, car fire.
* Missing the rubber grommets around the holes in the battery surround. Great way to destroy the insulation.
* Where are the fusible links? And that bit of yellow on the positive terminal screams "crappy Autozone crimp connectors" again.
* The engine compartment fusebox cover doesn't even look latched.
* The pictures aren't very high resolution and I'm zooming in, but where is the black trim between the body and the fender flares? Maybe it's lost to compression, or maybe it's a Maaco paintjob where they just painted over everything. I can make out the trim on the passenger side, but not the driver's side.
* Call me crazy, but that front-end shop looks Photoshopped to me. The bumper looks like someone used a smudge tool on it.
* LOL the only undercarriage photos are both facing the front of the vehicle! Rust first shows up behind the rear axle, usually at the bottom of the body hidden behind the rear bumper. The backside of the front axle is like the *least* likely spot to rust, and they still sprayed the hell out of the thing with Trim Black.

* What's with the black airbox latches and thumbscrew? Those should be cadmium/yellow zinc. Someone's gone to town with a can of Trim Black.
* Where is the heat shield for the exhaust headers? Probably rusted off.
* Red silicone hoses. Ew. Silicone hoses constantly ooze coolant, it's gross and I regret doing it on a motorcycle of mine.
* Some kind of aftermarket horns with garbage Autozone crimp connectors on them.
* Uh, what's going on above the brake booster? I'm guessing that's an alarm siren pointing down, but what's with the hose looped around it?! Looks like it ties into the air conditioning line.
* Is there a random red wire to the left of the heater control valve going under the wipers?! Seems to proceed to the left, under the wiper motor.
* That frame and undercarriage is painted af. I don't know about other 80s, but the underside of *mine* is body color (emerald green)
* Scuffs on the front edge of the rear lower control arms. So it got offroaded *after* the undercarriage paint job...
* Doesn't even have a battery tie-down of any kind. Hello, car fire.
* Missing the rubber grommets around the holes in the battery surround. Great way to destroy the insulation.
* Where are the fusible links? And that bit of yellow on the positive terminal screams "crappy Autozone crimp connectors" again.
* The engine compartment fusebox cover doesn't even look latched.
* The pictures aren't very high resolution and I'm zooming in, but where is the black trim between the body and the fender flares? Maybe it's lost to compression, or maybe it's a Maaco paintjob where they just painted over everything. I can make out the trim on the passenger side, but not the driver's side.
* Call me crazy, but that front-end shop looks Photoshopped to me. The bumper looks like someone used a smudge tool on it.
* LOL the only undercarriage photos are both facing the front of the vehicle! Rust first shows up behind the rear axle, usually at the bottom of the body hidden behind the rear bumper. The backside of the front axle is like the *least* likely spot to rust, and they still sprayed the hell out of the thing with Trim Black.
You forgot the missing cat.

30 grand with 180+K miles? Doesn't sound so great to me, especially after reading Gummycarbs' post.

Anybody that does this kind of thing gets an absolute no from me, regardless of anything else.

Some are purchased from clean title auctions.

I was about to buy what was the ideal cruiser for me from them and luckily googled the VIN and saw pictures of it before the "Reconditioning." Very clean looking Night shadow pearl, gray interior, 100K miles, diff locks for 28K so I was ready to buy. I asked for undercarriage pictures and that's what made me cancel. Pretty much a flat black rattle can job to make it seem better which really looked terrible.

View attachment 1933593

View attachment 1933594

good lord... I have a rust free 97 LX with some stuff on it id sell it for that... Man, the prices on these cars.... crazy town.

This is exactly why I love this place. Thank you.

My shop is here in Boise, my employee (Chris) has an LX he is going to sell. It is not red but it is here in town, rust free and built up a bit as well as baselined. He is going to sell it.

We can also do PPI for you on anything local you may be interested in.

Cheers

Another odd thing in the engine bay, it appears there's an extra ?? high pressure hose (?? AC line) running from the right side starting near the AC pipes on the firewall to in front of the heat control valve and then dives forward on the left side of the engine bay??

Yeah, lots of quick/incorrect fixes to get it running, definitely dolled up for a quick flip.

Hard pass.

I got a pretty rust free 97 collectors edition with under 150,000 miles thats already baselined and built for $17,000.00......

My shop is here in Boise, my employee (Chris) has an LX he is going to sell. It is not red but it is here in town, rust free and built up a bit as well as baselined. He is going to sell it.

We can also do PPI for you on anything local you may be interested in.

Cheers
PM sent

I got a pretty rust free 97 collectors edition with under 150,000 miles thats already baselined and built for $17,000.00......
This listed anywhere?

This listed anywhere?
Nope, it's a super solid rig ready to go but it is also monstalined and has some body damage.

PM me if your interested

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom