Rear axle leaking passenger side. No need for inner axle seal? FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
cannabisforcolorado.com
I want to make sure I understand this right.
@Tools R Us said that no need for the inner axle seal.

So am I able to just use the wheel seal? Part number 90311-62002?

Do I need to do both sides at the same time? Or can I let the none leaky side be for now?

That part number IS the seal that keeps gear oil out of the wheel bearings, and is the seal he mentions skipping. So you would NOT use that seal in following his recommendation. Yes you can let the non leaky side be for now.

However, if you are fixing a leak, I think it worth asking where the leak is coming from and if REMOVING a seal will fix that? I had one side I recently replaced start leaking gear oil. I opened it up, put a new 90311-62002 in and the leak stopped. So for you to use the gear oil as lube, you'll need to find where the gear oil is coming out of the hub and fix that. Unless I'm missing something. Replacing this seal is a very quick job, btw.

That part number IS the seal that keeps gear oil out of the wheel bearings, and is the seal he mentions skipping. So you would NOT use that seal in following his recommendation. Yes you can let the non leaky side be for now.

However, if you are fixing a leak, I think it worth asking where the leak is coming from and if REMOVING a seal will fix that? I had one side I recently replaced start leaking gear oil. I opened it up, put a new 90311-62002 in and the leak stopped. So for you to use the gear oil as lube, you'll need to find where the gear oil is coming out of the hub and fix that. Unless I'm missing something. Replacing this seal is a very quick job, btw.

Good deal thanks.
I replaced the inner and outer before and it started leaking a week after. so I am not sure where it is leaking from. Ill find out Saturday.

The 62002 is the wheel seal, you need to run it no matter what. The 35001 is the inner axle seal. It fits in the end of the spindle and seals against the surface just adjacent to the axle flange. If one wanted to run wet bearings sharing axle lube, this would be the seal to eliminate.

A rear full-float has two leak points at the axle ends, either via the 62002 wheel seal or from the flange of the axle shaft itself which is much easier to spot and is most often associated with loose/damaged studs/dowels and a blown out gasket.

The 62002 is the wheel seal, you need to run it no matter what. The 35001 is the inner axle seal. It fits in the end of the spindle and seals against the surface just adjacent to the axle flange. If one wanted to run wet bearings sharing axle lube, this would be the seal to eliminate.

A rear full-float has two leak points at the axle ends, either via the 62002 wheel seal or from the flange of the axle shaft itself which is much easier to spot and is most often associated with loose/damaged studs/dowels and a blown out gasket.

Great info just what I am looking for! Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom