The Fishing Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What I was fishing with in the 70's
s-l1600.jpg

@JohnVee Thanks for the info. I ordered some short zebco combo's for the kiddos. Thanks for the hand holding regarding terminology, if my nomenclature is off it is due to me being removed from fishing for approximately 30 years.

No fishing store near me. I may have to replace the line myself before the time comes to put them in action. I am assuming there are videos for this online too. We are looking forward to the experience.

so what do people use for bait with surf fishing? my objective is to not catch shark
I am debating shrimp that are alive, and ones that are not

so what do people use for bait with surf fishing? my objective is to not catch shark
I am debating shrimp that are alive, and ones that are not
Sandfleas are always tops if you can get them. Shrimp are great whole or in pieces. Everything eats those. Cut up bait fish in whatever sizes you need for a larger presentation. The best baits are always fresh. Have some frozen in reserve, just in case.

Use circle hooks, keep your line tight, and don’t set the hook when it takes off because the hook is designed to rotate into the corner of the mouth and dig in on its own. Just start reeling.

Sandfleas are always tops if you can get them. Shrimp are great whole or in pieces. Everything eats those. Cut up bait fish in whatever sizes you need for a larger presentation. The best baits are always fresh. Have some frozen in reserve, just in case.

Use circle hooks, keep your line tight, and don’t set the hook when it takes off because the hook is designed to rotate into the corner of the mouth and dig in on its own. Just start reeling.
Will these work?
1661195024380.png

1- Penn Senator Combo 3840RF4/0 6'6" 30-50 lbs with 113H reel $100.00
1- Penn Senator Combo 3860RF6/0 6'6" 40-50 lbs with 114H reel $100.00

Both have roller guides at tip and first guide away from reel

These are 15-20 years old, never used. PM me if interested

Carroll Co. castings.
AA4E8551-DC8F-4969-A9BE-C826258FA84D.jpeg
5F628CC2-6F6B-4903-B449-9698D086A2D6.jpeg

It came up in the Cape Lookout thread but I wanted to share here too. Caught a 27" Red Drum over the weekend, biggest fish I've ever caught. Slot size is 18" to 27" so it just made it. (we measured twice)

I had a drum rig on a 12' surf rod and a small 7' double hook rig in the surf. The little one with a piece of shrimp is what he took.

Honestly didn't know he was on there until I went to reel in. Then knew there was something there for sure.

It was fun and I'm ready to go fishing again.

96D90E38-4EC7-4050-814D-8F4BCA4A011E.jpeg

34023D80-9C9B-431A-A0C0-E04E41C1518F.jpeg

1C6D4177-DCFA-4893-9473-295B80B3759B.jpeg

Nice drum!

It came up in the Cape Lookout thread but I wanted to share here too. Caught a 27" Red Drum over the weekend, biggest fish I've ever caught. Slot size is 18" to 27" so it just made it. (we measured twice)

I had a drum rig on a 12' surf rod and a small 7' double hook rig in the surf. The little one with a piece of shrimp is what he took.

Honestly didn't know he was on there until I went to reel in. Then knew there was something there for sure.

It was fun and I'm ready to go fishing again.

View attachment 3108777

View attachment 3108779

View attachment 3108780
That is a good-looking fish. Wish I was there. Here is that video I was telling you about.

That is a good-looking fish. Wish I was there. Here is that video I was telling you about.

Nice, that looked like a good day of fishing.

Decided to try something new last night. Since carp have been showing up in my cove for a few weeks now (I seem to be really good at unexpectedy whacking them with bass lures!), I set out a light bass spinning rod with 8lb test baited with some corn on a hair rig (look it up - it's basically putting a couple pieces of corn on the long tag end of a snelled hook instead of directly on the hook). I dialed the drag back to almost nothing so a fish wouldn't feel any resistance until the hook set. Took 45 minutes for a strike, but I ended catching my first carp in 34 years, and the first one I ever specially targeted. 6lbs, approximately 18-20". It was a nice fight in the dark in perfect weather. And it made up for everybody getting skunked the night before!

My only other catch last night was a small flathead catfish on a strip of chicken skin. Their mouths are about twice the size of the blue cats I usually catch here. Pretty cool to catch one since they aren't as common and usually only eat live fish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom