parasitic draw/vehicle test prep? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Mudpros, I have the dreaded parasitic electrical draw :bang: Battery load tested fine.

Question: How to I prep the vehicle so I can use my multimeter in series to check amperage/fuse status. I do know that the vehicle has to be put to "sleep" (lights off/computer in sleep mode/etc)?

Thanks in advance!

Hood latch has an alarm trigger - those sometimes cause a drain.

The tops of the fuses have two metal posts- check for voltage across every fuse.

If you have any add-on wired devices or accessories: lights, chargers, fridge etc- check for back feeding current from any of those devices that might be energizing ecu modules- poorly grounded devices can cause some headaches. USB phone charge cords should be pulled from socket when not in use.

If you have the DVD entertainment system- pull the fuse , and also remove the player from PS cargo area.

Abuck99...most excellent.

W/r prep, dummy locking doors is obvious. As is disconnecting the items you mentioned.

What is the PS cargo area/player you referece (dealer installed dvd player in passenger area (second seat row on ceiling))?

Any other factory gizmos to disconnect (factory security system, etc)?

yeah port installed DVD player - that in some years the dvd player lives behind 2second row on passenger side. That gets power continuously-

What kind of meter are you using?

- I typically like to put the meter in series between the negative post and negative clamp.

- Be careful to start on a higher amperage range so you don't blow your meter fuse. Ask me how I know haha

- Close the hood latch sensor and arm the alarm. It usually takes a few minutes for everything to 'go to sleep'

- I'm not sure if there is a 100 series spec but you usually want to see 25-75 mA

@tipI typically like to put the meter in series between the negative post and negative clamp.”

Good suggestion^^ as that can help tell you how much amperage you might be drawing through the entire system-

Up to 50mA is acceptable

Reactions: tip
Multimeter: feel your pain as first attempted to us an analogue devise from like mid '70's. when hooked up in series, blew fuse. Realizing my error (after waaaaay too much time scratching my head), immediately bought a digital with 20a fuse...thank you Amazon.

Sleep: that was what I was after. My YouTube "of choice (ford tech)" recommends 1hr for all the electrons to find there place.

That's not my story and I'm not sticking to it:))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom