Solved ---- Replaced Blower Motor and now different issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
SOLVED: The previous shop didn't use the OEM replacement blower unit (used cheap Autozone Continental aftermarket).
Cleanup the old Lexus blower connector, and now it's working as good as new.
If you experience with sudden non-working blower, please check & clean your connectors before attempt to spend your hard earned money.

14 LX w/ 170K current milage.

Issue:
My battery died a few days ago after hooking up dual battery system (Redarc w/ AGM battery).
Fully recharged at home w/ AC charger, then went to AutoZone to check my main battery -- battery is healthy and only one year old (Dulalast Gold).
Not sure it's a coincidence but upon recharging my battery, HVAC blower motor quit working.
No code found on Bluedrive onboard reader.

Attempted to Repair:
Took it to a local Indi shop who serviced my LX before.
No power to the blower motor - replaced the blower motor w/ OEM and now it's spinning at low speed and WOULD NOT turn off no matter what you press.
The interior fan constantly running at low speed and I have no control to turn it off and change the speed.
No blown fuse found.

Any idea? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Would seem like whatever is causing this also flattened your battery.

I'm not super familiar with how the Redarc BCDC works but does it require any sort of voltage trigger to start / stop charging? If so, what modifications were made for that?

Is there any chance that you've had any water intrusion from a clogged sunroof drain? I've seen reports of all kinds of weird stuff like horn wont stop blowing etc - and it was due to water.

Yes, I think as soon as my alternator kicks in and voltage rise, the Redarch kicks in and start charging my secondary battery.
I have only one Trigger 4 connected to the 2nd battery.

Yes, you're spot on!
I had a previous water intrusion issue to the fresh vent area of Cowl.
The blower motor sits right by the fresh vent from the cowl and I saw water around that blower as well.
Ever since I replaced the cowl with a new one, I didn't have any water issue.
I disconnected the connectors and didn't see any corrosion or other damage.
That was during the summer and no issue since.... until last week. :(

The other reason for the fan to run nonstop is a disconnected temperature sensor. Maybe one got unplugged when you had the right dash apart to swap the blower?

The other reason for the fan to run nonstop is a disconnected temperature sensor. Maybe one got unplugged when you had the right dash apart to swap the blower?
I will check with that! thanks....
It's strange because the fan wasn't working at all.
After my shop replaced it, the new blower will not turning off and I couldn't control the speed either... it's now always running at low speed.

Running full time is likely a water issue as noted

I will check with that! thanks....
It's strange because the fan wasn't working at all.
After my shop replaced it, the new blower will not turning off and I couldn't control the speed either... it's now always running at low speed.
I experienced a similar issue with my 100 (LX470) - while unlikely your situ (very different trucks, BUT one never knows..) my fan was ONLY running at low speed. I replaced, seemingly, every ECUish in the center stack, to no avail. I "gave up" and took it to the dealer (the #1 platinum dealer in the US, incredible skills)....they had it for almost 2 weeks...escalated to the top at Toyota.

Turns out there was an "issue" with the factory analog mobile phone (this was the built in, controller on the steering wheel, etc - I had long since removed it). Anyway, something "changed" and the truck now "thought" it was on a call....what does that functionality also do? Yup, it drops the fan speed to low.

I experienced a similar issue with my 100 (LX470) - while unlikely your situ (very different trucks, BUT one never knows..) my fan was ONLY running at low speed. I replaced, seemingly, every ECUish in the center stack, to no avail. I "gave up" and took it to the dealer (the #1 platinum dealer in the US, incredible skills)....they had it for almost 2 weeks...escalated to the top at Toyota.

Turns out there was an "issue" with the factory analog mobile phone (this was the built in, controller on the steering wheel, etc - I had long since removed it). Anyway, something "changed" and the truck now "thought" it was on a call....what does that functionality also do? Yup, it drops the fan speed to low.
Very intriguing solution!
I will definitely investigate further.
Wish I know what connector to disconnect or disable phone integration feature.
Thanks for sharing!

So what was the eventual fix?

Thanks everyone for helping me on my recent dead blower issue.
The lesson learned on this incident:

1. Verify your replacement part even your shop told you that they used the OEM part (used cheap Chinese Autozone Continental branded blower in this case).
2. Clean up your electrical connectors before attempt to spend your hard-earned money.

Clean up the connectors and putting back my old OEM blower solved the issue immediately.

1. Verify your replacement part even your shop told you that they used the OEM part (used cheap Chinese Autozone Continental branded blower in this case).
Because you specified OEM I didn't bring up the recent post about an aftermarket blower having a different pin out..

Glad you got it sorted.

Because you specified OEM I didn't bring up the recent post about an aftermarket blower having a different pin out..

Glad you got it sorted.
Yes, I specifically told them to use OEM only , and they replaced it with a crappy aftermarket anyway.
I just found out that after talking with a tech.
It’s working great as of today.

Last edited:
So what was the eventual fix?
Sorry......tryptophan :)

Lexus/Toyota just physically "removed/disconnected" the analog phone circuit (everything "behind" the molex connector going to the moto handset). They suspect the "short" was somewhere in the phones steering wheel control - wasn't worth going any deeper into the repair once the fan came back to life as no longer using the analog phone anyway.

Sorry......tryptophan :)

Lexus/Toyota just physically "removed/disconnected" the analog phone circuit (everything "behind" the molex connector going to the moto handset). They suspect the "short" was somewhere in the phones steering wheel control - wasn't worth going any deeper into the repair once the fan came back to life as no longer using the analog phone anyway.
Glad it worked out... how much they charged you for the diagnostic and keep the vehicle that long?

Glad it worked out... how much they charged you for the diagnostic and keep the vehicle that long?
The case was escalated to Toyota corps senior US folks...it was so bizarre and required so much "wait, the vehicle is doing what?" research we were not charged. Our family also have been very long time Toyota folks (going back to '50's when you were weird if you drove one :) )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom