aussie install help, shes stuck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
well im stuck and frankly so is the center pin...
so i have a 89 auto. ive done a couple of these before but this one is giving me a fit..

i tried to assemble with the thrust washers that were in the truck which are (4136160030thickness=1.90) and I couldnt get the pin in at all..
did some math and figured the smallest 4136160010 thickness =1.60 would get me within spec.. nope.. cant get a .002 feeler in there let alone .006.

It was my understanding these were the thrust washers avail.. but im already on the thinnest

4136160010 FJ62 T=1.60
4136160020 FJ62 T=1.75
4136160030 FJ62 T=1.90
4136160040 FJ62 T=2.05

ideas?

Off the cuff, is something dirty? Some grit on shims that thin would cause a discrepancy. So would a bend in any of the shims.

Other thought, do you have a set of calipers to verify shim thicknesses?

Maybe pull the spiders out to give everything a good clean then reinstall and try again? Iirc there are perforated washers behind the spiders in the later diffs.

I've only done one or two, but never had this issue.

Off the cuff, is something dirty? Some grit on shims that thin would cause a discrepancy. So would a bend in any of the shims.

Other thought, do you have a set of calipers to verify shim thicknesses?

Maybe pull the spiders out to give everything a good clean then reinstall and try again? Iirc there are perforated washers behind the spiders in the later diffs.

I've only done one or two, but never had this issue.
well i tried that a bit ago, cleaned it all and tried to install dry. only slightly better still far out of spec..

i checked my thrust washer thickness and its what i ordered 1.60 and the ones i removed from the oe setup were 1.90.

one thing i did notice is this. (attached) the valley on the spacer that holds the nub of the axle shaft behind the clip is .101" deep and that isnt deep enough to encase the axle and c-clip, the axle nub is aprox .155" thick and thats too much for the spacer to seat firmly on the axle gear? so i removed the c-clip and tried to test there and i was able to get .008 on the clearance..

ideas?

do i have a wrong part?
do i need to mill down the washers?

IMG-7989.jpg

IMG-7991.jpg

measures .101 deep in the lowest setcion.jpg

measures .155 on the end.jpg

Interesting. I'd be inclined to mill out the pocket on the spacer to allow the axle nub to fit in all the way, but it shouldn't interfere. Perhaps contact aussie locker?

I would not modify the c-clip or axle to make this fit. I've never heard of this problem before but maybe aussie locker is having supply chain quality problems like everyone else these days.

Interesting. I'd be inclined to mill out the pocket on the spacer to allow the axle nub to fit in all the way, but it shouldn't interfere. Perhaps contact aussie locker?

I would not modify the c-clip or axle to make this fit. I've never heard of this problem before but maybe aussie locker is having supply chain quality problems like everyone else these days.
I did shoot an email over to Cora. She’s like the main contact at Aussie locker. Not sure if they celebrate Thanksgiving over there or not to be honest with you lol

I also thought about shaving down the thrust washers but I’m worried if I go super thin there that may create a problem.

Secondly, I was going to re-run the sea clips that I had in maybe I should get a new ones maybe they’re a little bit different

I think Aussie Lockers are made in USA. I'm not sure if there's anything "Aussie" about them, including Thanksgiving.

I think Aussie Lockers are made in USA. I'm not sure if there's anything "Aussie" about them, including Thanksgiving.
the company contact is based there i believe even though they are made in the USA.. the phone number is a call service center thats third party.

the company contact is based there i believe even though they are made in the USA.. the phone number is a call service center thats third party.
Cora is American and the owner. They're based out of NY.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom