FJ62 auto into a HDJ80?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruisedeisel

Toyota's for life
Threads
Does anyone know if the FJ62 automatic transmission will bolt into a Import HDJ80 with the 4.2l diesel? Bell housing and imput shafts must be the same. I believe the FJ60 has an A440F transmission and the HDJ80 has a A442F

@GTSSportCoupe seems to know that stuff like the back of his hand... Where is he?...
Haha, this I don't know. I can say for sure the bell housings are different as they are different motor series. I'm not sure about the input shaft. If it was me, I'd look them up on megazip epc drawings and compare part numbers. I think I have the Toyota FSM for both transmissions too, and can give them to you to compare if you want.

Also forgot to mention the fj62 has a split t-case where most 80 series have a centre diff t-case. I think this means slightly shorter drive shafts on 80, but again you're have to look into it. Could put hubs in as I think part time 4wd is better anyhow.

I am quoting what a 80 series guru said on the main forum

"Petrol A440F trans will mate to 2H/12H-T diesel variations.

It will not mate with a 1990+ 1Hx diesel variation."

So this will not work as my brothers truck is a 1HD-T.

Are the 80 series gas and diesel versions mainly the same? car-parts.com list a couple options in Richmond. From lx450 trucks.

I am quoting what a 80 series guru said on the main forum

"Petrol A440F trans will mate to 2H/12H-T diesel variations.

It will not mate with a 1990+ 1Hx diesel variation."

So this will not work as my brothers truck is a 1HD-T.

Are the 80 series gas and diesel versions mainly the same? car-parts.com list a couple options in Richmond. From lx450 trucks.

I was reading about this last night.

Some guys with FJ80 (3fe) have done swaps to 1HDT and re-used their A440f transmissions. 3fe is in the FJ62 also? so how different could they be beside the t-case? I think people doing the swap still needed a different bell housing, flex plate and torque converter tho.

Gets to the point where all he extra bits and pieces can really add up of course. At that point it's better just to buy the right thing, or go manual at least.

Ya the manual thing would be better. Initially the cost would be a bit more shocking but I bet the auto would nickel and dime if it wasn’t a direct fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom