Post Suspension Install Bad Camber Issues Persist (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A few months ago I had the following OME suspension installed on my 2015.
  • 2701 Front Coil Springs
  • 91005 Front Shocks
  • 2721 Rear coils
  • 61029 Rear shocks
  • (kept stock control arms)
Almost immediately on pickup I noticed a positive camber on my driver side wheel. I regrettably was too excited about the suspension to dive into it, and decided this camber would be mitigated as the lift settled (the front was far higher than expected - I currently have zero rake after settling and any load in the rear creates noticeable sag). In time, the passenger side exhibited the same issue and became even worse. When I brought it into my shop (a very good Cruiser shop in Utah), they attempted to pull everything back into alignment, ensure everything was torqued properly, etc.. and seemed to fix the issue. The problem came back worse. Bump steer was incredible. I happened to get into a snow storm on the freeway and still can't fathom how I got down that road in one piece. It was like I was ice skating.

The theory was then that uneven tread from the initial camber issue may have forced out the wheels, so the next time I brought it in we move the front tired to back and back to front. The problem seemed fixed, but after 1000 miles, I can see the wheels pulling out again (though less noticeably so). I can hear a popping noise from the right side on tight turns each iteration when (I think) the wheels start to go out of alignment (this may be just me though). My shop is great and have honored their work by not charging me a dime for three additional trips to the shop, but they seem to be at a loss now to figure out what is happening and can't find anyone else who knows either. Everything is tight and should be ready to go. But the issue persists.

Would love any thoughts anyone may have.

Last edited:
Do you have any static weight on the front end? Noticed those 2701 springs are rated for a +100kg additional front weight. That would at least explain the front ride height. Before I got my alignment sorted with the SPC UCA's the front camber was super goofy with around 3.5 degree positive camber on one side. If there's nothing wrong in the suspension installation perhaps adjustable UCA's are not a bad idea.

Do you have any static weight on the front end? Noticed those 2701 springs are rated for a +100kg additional front weight. That would at least explain the front ride height. Before I got my alignment sorted with the SPC UCA's the front camber was super goofy with around 3.5 degree positive camber on one side. If there's nothing wrong in the suspension installation perhaps adjustable UCA's are not a bad idea.
I don't have any additional weight on front end yet (bumper coming eventually). The camber was significant. Cannot recall the angle off hand, but it turned quickly into something significant on both sides enough to cause some real wear issues in otherwise newish 275/70/18 Toyo AT3s. Shop doesn't think it's the UCAs, and are able to get the front end in alignment temporarily at least. But we're running out of options I guess.

Do you have the alignment specs/printout ? If so post the numbers/sheet. Curious to see exactly how far out the camber is to cause these issues. With my aftermarket UCAs (fixed with +3degrees) I am able to achieve mid 3 degrees of positive caster and still have slightly negative camber. I generally run between 2.8-3.5 degrees of caster and -.1 to -.3 degrees of camber and so far have perfect tire wear and no drivability issues. Alignment stays set other then the toe getting out of wach from wheeling in the rocks.

How high is the lift and do you have pre/post numbers? You might need UCAs, I recently installed a new Dobinsons IMS that was supposed to be 1.4”F/1”R and I got about 2.5” in the front and 2” in the rear. I installed OME UCAs with it because I had a feeling it would be higher. I also have 275/70/18s. If it’s over 2 inches you might consider it.

Do you have the alignment specs/printout ? If so post the numbers/sheet. Curious to see exactly how far out the camber is to cause these issues. With my aftermarket UCAs (fixed with +3degrees) I am able to achieve mid 3 degrees of positive caster and still have slightly negative camber. I generally run between 2.8-3.5 degrees of caster and -.1 to -.3 degrees of camber and so far have perfect tire wear and no drivability issues. Alignment stays set other then the toe getting out of wach from wheeling in the rocks.

How high is the lift and do you have pre/post numbers? You might need UCAs, I recently installed a new Dobinsons IMS that was supposed to be 1.4”F/1”R and I got about 2.5” in the front and 2” in the rear. I installed OME UCAs with it because I had a feeling it would be higher. I also have 275/70/18s. If it’s over 2 inches you might consider it.
It's almost nothing in the rear and about 1.5 in the front

You need UCA's that will compensate for the new lift and likely some caster. The factory geometry is compromised with the lift you installed.

It's the most likely next step for sure. it is surprising to me that the shop doesn't feel like it's the issue, however.

It's the most likely next step for sure. it is surprising to me that the shop doesn't feel like it's the issue, however.
I find it weird they’ve done everything, can’t get it to stay within spec and still think it’s not the UCAs.

I find it weird they’ve done everything, can’t get it to stay within spec and still think it’s not the UCAs.
Exactly.

What was your expected lift and what is your actual lift? You said the lift was way higher than you thought, so it's probably way beyond the adjustment range with the stock UCAs. Aftermarket UCAs exist for this very reason.

I am actually in a similar situation with my Ironman "2 inch" lift I installed over the weekend. With the heavy front springs I got 4.5" of lift, and even with the Ironman UCAs, the alignment shop couldn't get the camber below 1.5 degrees. I have a bumper to install, but even with that and some settling, I will still probably adjust the front strut height.

What was your end result? Seems like my new lift is giving me the same issue I have pretty much the same
set up. Except the front coils are 2705 1" lift

Got a pic of the rig? Alignment specs? These would help us to objectively understand where your issues lie.

As others have commented, you're very likely out of alignment range of the stock suspension for the amount of lift you have on the front end. Generally, anything over a 2" lift demands UCAs to allow alignment to be returned to good specs. Otherwise you're having to trade camber for caster, or vice versa. Both are important to handling.

Positive camber with front end lift and max eccentric settings, UCA fix every time. Pick the one you like, all of them have pros/cons. This is how you get back within the box. Simple geometry.

Cam tabs worn? Somewhat common Toyota issue.
Some good kits out there to solve this.

But also UCAs.

LC is supposed to have slight .13 pos camber unloaded. Likely you may have too strong of coils to load down flat.

$100 ish to solve if that’s the case. You should match mark the cam position as a test to save the money too.

I’ll be buying these at some point myself as im an alignment stickler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom