What did you work on tonight? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very cool! What are you using for the drivetrain, or just point me to the build thread and I will check it out there. Interesting project.

Very cool! What are you using for the drivetrain, or just point me to the build thread and I will check it out there. Interesting project.

2uz/a750/80 series axles suspension

One of the most fun jobs on one of my favorite vehicles to work on.
PXL_20221102_210651399.MP.jpg

One of the most fun jobs on one of my favorite vehicles to work on.
is that sarcasm? I thought these were a nightmare

Yup all sarcasm. It's not any fun at all and I hate working on the GX, but it wasn't awful. I got it done in right at 4 hours.

Last edited:
I LOATHE this job. I wanted to bitch slap the Toyota engineers for how they want us to service the rack after the vehicle rolls out of the auto plant. :bang:

What did the rack cost you Virgil?

I LOATHE this job. I wanted to bitch slap the Toyota engineers for how they want us to service the rack after the vehicle rolls out of the auto plant. :bang:

I can't understand why they install the driver's side inner tie rod and the boot. Both have to come off to install the rack and the clamps on the boot aren't reusable.

Yup all sarcasm. It's not any fun at all and I hate working on the GX, but it wasn't awful. I got it done in right at 4 hours.

So for those that have no clue ... what makes this so hard?

So for those that have no clue ... what makes this so hard?

This is the pic I took when I removed mine. The red circle with arrow is where the rack lives and the tie rod end comes through this hole and connects at the wheel. You have to remove the tie rod end, then fiddle with the rack until it comes out the way the pic shows. The second pic shows a rebuilt rack next to the one I just pulled out. You can see the tie rod end on the right is disconnected from the rack. I bought new ones from Toyota.

1667492116486.png

1667492250460.png

I have been collecting all the parts needed to swap an 80 series axle, suspension and steering under the front of my Tundra when the rack goes. I really don’t have time or look forward to doing though, so it may never happen. It sure would simplify things but I feel the ride quality would drop a little.

I can't understand why they install the driver's side inner tie rod and the boot. Both have to come off to install the rack and the clamps on the boot aren't reusable.
The other option is to drop the 3rd member and snake it out of the frame. That’s what I did on the 5th gen 4R. I figured I was do for gear oil so I might as well go that route. No matter what that job is terrible.

The 3rd Gen 4R was a breeze as you just unbolt and drain…

This is the pic I took when I removed mine. The red circle with arrow is where the rack lives and the tie rod end comes through this hole and connects at the wheel. You have to remove the tie rod end, then fiddle with the rack until it comes out the way the pic shows. The second pic shows a rebuilt rack next to the one I just pulled out. You can see the tie rod end on the right is disconnected from the rack. I bought new ones from Toyota.

Reminds me of pulling the 15" upper control arm bolts through the front grill.

Been chasing gremlins. Many years ago I had injectors in the truck that didn't hold pressure over night. They flooded the manifold. I pulled those out and sent them off to get cleaned (and stashed), and installed a second set I had rebuilt. Chasing this gremlin I decided to install the first set. Problem got worse, and I had the same hard, smoky start I had the first time. So, fed up, I bought new aftermarket injectors. Those were installed today.

Runner #1 was flooded with fuel. There was a lake in the bottom. Runner #2 had a little fuel in it. Runners #3 and #4 were bone dry. Number 1 is on the right in the pic.

Leaking Injectors 202211-sm.jpg

Started the rear bumper modification. Rear tire/gas/propane rack is off. One spindle semi-placed. Plan is to have a dual pivot ... tire on one side, propane and gas can on the other. There was way too much weight with the single swing out. I'm using a kit from 4x4Labs.

20221202_145648-sm.jpg

Started the rear bumper modification. Rear tire/gas/propane rack is off. One spindle semi-placed. Plan is to have a dual pivot ... tire on one side, propane and gas can on the other. There was way too much weight with the single swing out. I'm using a kit from 4x4Labs.

View attachment 3183898
Tuned in to see how you manage the latch. Are you cutting up the old rack to do this? If not I'm interested in the salvage

Tuned in to see how you manage the latch. Are you cutting up the old rack to do this? If not I'm interested in the salvage
The kit I bought from Luke has everything except the latch, which I'm going to try and reuse. You are welcome to the spoils.

I am working on these as a gift for our 5th wedding anniversary coming up on the 22nd, the "wood and silverware" anniversary. I'm doing this with hand tools except for the sanding. I almost bought a bamboo cutting board in the shape of New Mexico but decided that just wasn't going to cut it. I'm tired of crap falling apart after a few years of use. These items will be staples in our new home in Albuquerque next year and will hopefully last for generations.

2" edge grain cutting board from maple, cherry, and walnut. I'm going to put chamfers on the sides and feet on the bottom. I might get out my wood burner and mark it somewhere, then finish it with mineral oil and beeswax. About 13.5" x 15"

8" Gyuto knife blank from Katsura Cutlery. It's not the absolute best, but it is Japanese high carbon AUS-10 steel. This is a big ass knife. I'm making the handle out of walnut to match the block. If they don't turn out very well I have some redwood coming to try out instead.

Wish me luck, I've never done finished wood before.

20221203_011440.jpg

20221203_150126.jpg

20221203_145711.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom