Engine Seized - LC 200 - 2016 - Maine- what to do..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I've been a long time reader (lurker :) of IH8MUD but first time posting. We have a 2016 LC 200, ~125K miles on it. My 16 year old son took it mudding last week (I know...I know), he called me from the middle of the woods here in So. Maine saying the check engine light had come on so he shut off the car and it won't restart. I came and tried to jump it, not an electrical problem, so we towed it with my pickup back to the house. I check the air intake (among other things) and the air filter was very wet. I then had it towed to my local mechanic to look at. He drained the oil and said there was both water and coolant in the pan. He drained engine, put oil back in, and can't get the pistons to move. I believe we are going to need to replace the engine. I know that at least one other on this form had to replace a 200 engine, I'm planning on a used Tundra/Sequoia engine with ~60K-100K miles. My questions to this illustrious establishment of LC knowledge:

1. Suggestions on where to source engine to get a "good one"
2. Suggested mechanics in So/Central Maine and Seacoast NH that have done an engine swap (I believe my guy is up to the job, but he's not a pure Toyota mechanic, and I'd really love to find a mechanic thats at least done an engine swap in a Tundra)
3. Any ideas as to what went wrong (see notes on build below, not that I believe any of these would cause engine failure but getting all the facts out)
Thanks for any input you may have.

Build:
-Ironman 4x4 2" lift
-Ironman front bumper (no-loops) and winch
-Prisnu rack
No snorkel

Sorry to hear. Sounds like the motor got hydro locked.

It's possible he went deep enough that none of this matters. A potential contributor may be the front bumper. They don't enclose the front fender the way the stock tupperware does, and that may channel water into the fender where the stock intake is.

3. Any ideas as to what went wrong

You let your 16 year take it out mudding.

If your mechanic hasn't pulled the plugs and tried to crank the engine should. Likely water in the cylinders hydrolocking the motor. Do this and see if the motor will then turn over, if so reinstall the plugs and try cranking it up.

I don't think there is anything magical about swapping a 5.7 into a land cruiser. I'm sure any decent mechanic can do it. I'm not even a half decent mechanic and I've done a half dozen engine swaps in my life that worked out well.

Mine was thought to be a simple issue until the spark plugs were pulled and confirmed the carnage inside. In my case it was a broken valve spring, but the same concept applies with hydro locking. Things want to move but can't (dropped valve or water) and the force applied causes more damage. In my case it took out the rod too. Water and coolant in the oil is a bad sign though.

Ouch.

I was going to suggest pulling the plugs but that’s been said. Still worth a shot and I’d be doing this asap. If that is actually coolant in the oil then that’s a very ominous sign. Water can cause rods to bend if you have the rip’ums high enough on the tach when the water sucking begins…

Keep us posted on what you find.

@Artie this kind of happen to me with an old 3rd gen 4runner. I think my mistake was trying to crank the car over so many times after hydro lock. The after towing it home, I pulled the plugs, cycled/ vacummed the water out, started it up, it kicked out smoke for a little bit( 5 min?) then was fine for a bout 1k miles before it threw a rod through the lower side of the engine. This was about 10 years ago. I think had I not tried to crank it over so many times that first day, it probably would have been ok... hopefully the OP gets it back up and running with minimmal to no damage done.

I'll admit when I was 17 I thought it would be cool to drive my XJ through a seasonal mud pit right after a week of rain. Right in the middle of the pit, my engine died and my buddy and I flat towed it home with a 6' strap which was quite interesting with no power steering or brakes. We pulled the plugs and cranked it and mud went flying out of the cylinders so hard it splattered all over the garage roof - I'll bet the stains are still there 20+ years later. The engine was toast and the only solution was a swap unfortunately. A very costly mistake, but it was invaluable learning experience. FYI because I was on a county road, insurance covered it under comprehensive coverage - I just had to come up with the deductible which was a massive relief.

Yeah — 16 year olds do some dumb things. I was driving my old Land Rover Series 2 station wagon along a steeply rolling dirt road when I was suddenly passed at high speed by my best friend. Driving his dad’s brand new F-100 pickup truck. So new it did not yet have a license plate. Well, at the top of the next hill he launched that beauty into the air, landed on the front bumper, and blasted the windshield and the rear window out of their frames. And the doors popped open and would not shut without being slammed. At least my buddy wasn’t hurt too badly, at least till he got home. That truck was never right again.

Last edited:
to the experts, would a Snorkel have kept this from happening?

to the experts, would a Snorkel have kept this from happening?
Snorkels on gas engines are all about looks, not function. Theoretically they help mitigate dust but how many of us in the Americas really drive hundreds of miles in a convoy sucking dust?

Snorkels theoretically would help an older diesel engine continue to run when submerged but that argument goes out the window for modern diesel and all their electronics.

My first thought was like others, hydrolock. Should go out and teach kids how to correctly drive through water/mud hazards. Just like one does for driving in snow. Here is how not to do it (Note the part number):

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom