The FJ40 that time forgot..... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Creative way to limit the glove box from coming down too far....

20211124_135107.jpeg

Found this on ebay.....had to buy.

20211123_144404.jpeg

@Downey probably remembers them
Yep, Downey remembers. Back story: I started the Downey Off Road Mfg business at Downey Toyota (car dealership) in 1970. In 1975 the off road business was too large to remain at the dealership, so owner of Downey Toyota bought the building at 8851 Lakewood Blvd., and moved us there. That's when/where this decal came from. In 1978 I then bought the business from the dealership, and Toyota Motor Sales Inc. was very happy since they didn't want one of their dealership in the parts manufacturing business- - -ended up ok by me!!!!!!

Yep, Downey remembers. Back story: I started the Downey Off Road Mfg business at Downey Toyota (car dealership) in 1970. In 1975 the off road business was too large to remain at the dealership, so owner of Downey Toyota bought the building at 8851 Lakewood Blvd., and moved us there. That's when/where this decal came from. In 1978 I then bought the business from the dealership, and Toyota Motor Sales Inc. was very happy since they didn't want one of their dealership in the parts manufacturing business- - -ended up ok by me!!!!!!
You guys must have had so many 40s come thru the doors in those days. So cool and such cool backstory/history. Thanks so much for adding to this thread.

Hopefully when I get to posting pics of the suspension stuff you can see if there are any Downey parts on it. I suspect the header and Holley came from Downey but who knows. We'll see what you think :)

One of the most interesting and appealing things on this truck, for me, were these event plaques that were on the dash. They really hooked me hard. So cool. Must be some kind of connection as I grew up so close to Indio at the time this truck was there.

I bet this was a pretty fun event with a 2 year old FJ40 :)

20211001_153142.jpeg
20211001_153149.jpeg

Cool article on the Sareea Al Jamel 4WD Club.....crazy history. Very very interesting.

I bet this was a fun event :)
1639796443003.jpeg
1639796494782.jpeg
1639796518621.jpeg
1639796544753.jpeg

4wd club or Jeep Club?

4wd club or Jeep Club?
I'm guessing it morphed from a Jeep club into a 4WD club. The article is from 1961 so not a ton of Toyotas around back then...probably all Jeeps. Must have been miserable :) The article mentions "Japanese Toyota vehicle that resembles a Jeep".

This was from Motortrend:

One of the country’s first organized 4x4 clubs was Sareea Al Jamel (Fast Camel), which sprung up in Indio, California, around 1946. They hosted the Fast Camel Cruise for decades until land closures prompted the club to disband in 1991. The oldest extant club we’re aware of is the Hemet Jeep Club, formed in 1948 as the Hemet Cavalcade. Early members included famous off-road legends Rod Hall and Larry Minor.

When our 4WD club went on the Sareea Al Jamel "Fast Camel" runs in the early 1970's, the back up at the first obstacle would cause about a 1 hour wait, after a couple 1 hour waits to get through a 1 minute obstacle, we'd take off on our own "made up" run the long way back to camp. I think we use to go just to get the dash plaque.

When our 4WD club went on the Sareea Al Jamel "Fast Camel" runs in the early 1970's, the back up at the first obstacle would cause about a 1 hour wait, after a couple 1 hour waits to get through a 1 minute obstacle, we'd take off on our own "made up" run the long way back to camp. I think we use to go just to get the dash plaque.
Sounds like a lot of fun....the making up your own way around, not the waiting for an hour at every challenge...were there a lot of 40s at that event?

Typical 4WD club back in the day had 1 Scout, 1 Bronco, possibly 2 Landcruisers, then 8-10 Jeeps, multiply that by 75-80 and you have an idea how big the "Fast Camel" runs were. Making up your own run is not all the fun and games it might sound like, there were times we'd almost have to drive off a cliff to get back to camp.

Pretty difficult trails or just rock strewn slow going trails?

Any idea if those trails still exist out there? Wonder if they are still in closed areas?

^^^^^Don't know, no rocks, just clay hills that fall apart with use. I don't know what areas may now be closed, but for many years the place was just a free for all with a zillion trails going everywhere.

Wow... all the way across the country... Ca. to Fla.
The Tru Tracs bring back memories... I ran a few sets on my CJ back in the early 80s. A great tire you could get at the Price Club ?? now CostCo... I think. $60ish.
I actually ran with the Fast Camels the last 10 yrs. they were an operating club, these were the guys who started "JEEPING" in the forties... the Chuckwallas... the Hemet club... the campfire talks are something I treasure... being 17/18 & listening to the places they went and what it took to get there in the old 4 cyl. no tire rigs.
I think the club started with all Jeeps then some FJ-40s and one guy had a Nissan Patrol... later there were a couple other species of 4WD rigs.
The Desert Protection Act in 1994 was the final blow pretty much for the club. not enough young blood and many of the members were 60+... all cool old dudes.
Most of the trails the club used were swallowed up by the DPA & Joshua Tree. A couple of us tried to assist the BLM in GPSing/cataloging the trails with BLM supplied units, but it didn't help they closed most of the trails the club used under the guise of 'wilderness" even though many acres didn't fall under the wilderness designation.
Most of said trails were decaying granite, some rocks (small compared to today), washes, climbs up on ridges & descents off... moderate by today's standards.
While the trails still exist and are seeing use they are technically closed, but the new SXS users are putting ALLOT of use on them...
The dash plates are AWESOME !!... they make me smile and remember the first weekend in April... the run on Sat. and Fun & Games on Sun.
Congrats. on the awesome find with your green 40...
While I'm a Jeep guy (just sold the only 40 I really wanted to own, also a tie to the Fast Camels) Toyotas are tough to beat...

Regards...
Curt

Freddy purchased the truck from Elmore Motors on 4/27/1974.......how do we know this? Because we have the purchase order :)

For sure this increased my want for this truck.......total nerd when it comes to paperwork on cars and trucks I buy. The hook had been set pretty hard by now. Ha.

View attachment 2818474
lol i was three days old

Wow... all the way across the country... Ca. to Fla.
The Tru Tracs bring back memories... I ran a few sets on my CJ back in the early 80s. A great tire you could get at the Price Club ?? now CostCo... I think. $60ish.
I actually ran with the Fast Camels the last 10 yrs. they were an operating club, these were the guys who started "JEEPING" in the forties... the Chuckwallas... the Hemet club... the campfire talks are something I treasure... being 17/18 & listening to the places they went and what it took to get there in the old 4 cyl. no tire rigs.
I think the club started with all Jeeps then some FJ-40s and one guy had a Nissan Patrol... later there were a couple other species of 4WD rigs.
The Desert Protection Act in 1994 was the final blow pretty much for the club. not enough young blood and many of the members were 60+... all cool old dudes.
Most of the trails the club used were swallowed up by the DPA & Joshua Tree. A couple of us tried to assist the BLM in GPSing/cataloging the trails with BLM supplied units, but it didn't help they closed most of the trails the club used under the guise of 'wilderness" even though many acres didn't fall under the wilderness designation.
Most of said trails were decaying granite, some rocks (small compared to today), washes, climbs up on ridges & descents off... moderate by today's standards.
While the trails still exist and are seeing use they are technically closed, but the new SXS users are putting ALLOT of use on them...
The dash plates are AWESOME !!... they make me smile and remember the first weekend in April... the run on Sat. and Fun & Games on Sun.
Congrats. on the awesome find with your green 40...
While I'm a Jeep guy (just sold the only 40 I really wanted to own, also a tie to the Fast Camels) Toyotas are tough to beat...

Regards...
Curt
Hey Curt....

Thanks so much for all that info. Great stuff. I can only imagine that there were some really cool people out there back then enjoying their trucks, the land and being with their buddies. Fun stuff.

Every time I walk by the truck(about 150x a day since it's right outside my office), I look at those plaques. They make me smile too thinking about the history of this truck. This truck has a very strong magnetic pull.....everyone seems to be drawn to it.....non-cruiser and cruiser people. Fun to see.

Haven't updated this in a bit....not a whole lot going on with the green 40. I keep threatening to get it on the schedule but for now she gets dusted off and admired daily :)

I did get some new tires on it after much debate. This was a tough one.....I went back and forth, back and forth. Unfortunately wide tires similar to what she had on it just don't exist. I looked high and low for a suitable tire....nada. Ended up with these:

20220104_070705.jpeg

Super Swamper 31x11.50x15 TSL. I feel like I could have done a 32, maybe even a 33....something 12.5" wide. These seem to skinny. I may paint the letters white....might make me feel better. Just not feeling them. I miss the Tru Trac tires :(

I will say they do look pretty vintage. Maybe a little too East Coast though :) Very very hard to find tires that don't look too 'bro' with flames or skulls or stupid side walls. My dream tires would be some vintage Mickey Thompson Bajas :)

20220201_170456.jpeg

2 green things in the shop this day :) Those AMGs are super rare Black Series models.....we've had a whole lot of neat cars in the shop over the last 20 years.....these cars are maybe the best of them all. Full blown race car with an interior :) Amazing.
20220325_140433 2.jpeg

I'd say the Armstrongs had seen better days
20220125_155219.jpeg

This picture is one of my favorites for a variety of reasons :)

20220126_101051.jpeg

Love this thread. What a cool find!

"Those AMGs are super rare Black Series models....."

Pretty sure Clarkson called that car an axe murderer. : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom