Best phone mount? (13 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RAM mount for me. This may look like overkill, but it's perfect for me. Maximum flexibility. I have the Wits End Useless cubby mount and have the ScanGaugeII on one, the portable radio on a second and the phone off the windshield. All RAM Mount. I can switch whichever I want to wherever I want and nothing rattles or leaves a mark. FYI - I have another Wits End mount on the a-pillar for my second phone or a camera. If I have a passenger who has another phone, we can accommodate that by switching something out.

Still no cupholder, but it may be in the future. As well as a RAM projection light.

20220227_135129.jpg
20220227_135116.jpg

Nice job.
More info on the aux fuel gauge please,
especially on its connections.
Awe man! Thats a lot to ask :nailbiting:. I installed that stuff like 13-years ago, when I was younger and more ambitious... and had a better memory! ...I do remember I bought the OEM sub tank from Man-A-Fre in 2009. I can't recall if they sent me the fuel level sending unit, or if I had to source my own. IIRC the sending unit was out of an old Corolla. 3-wires as I recall: power, ground, and signal. It wasn't hard to wire up. I think I spliced into the "meters and gauges" power circiut, and dash lighting circuit. I picked up the VDO gauge from somewhere online... The hardest thing as I recall was having the guts to hole saw the center console... never fun.

If you are serious about doing this, and you don't have someone in your life that can read a wiring diagram, PM me, and I'd be more than happy to try and help you out.

Been a while since I have posted here. We had a few guys a while back ask for a double RAM ball set up which we made. We never actually posted that info or pics here. Recently I have been getting those requests again for RAM ball mounts for the 95-97 dash bezel. Our single RAM ball design still has another slot for one more accessory. It's not quite as strong as our double RAM ball design. That one is much more robust to be able to handle a lot more weight. Here's the link and pics.
PXL_20221104_185034916.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20221104_184204728.jpg

PXL_20221104_185041779.PORTRAIT.jpg

Also, here are a couple pics of our newer phone mount set up. We switched the mount to the MPOW brand after fantastic results from testing. It was the brand that stood out the most above all over brands we tested.
PXL_20221104_192308086.jpg
PXL_20221104_192342590.jpg

Does anyone know if taking off a phone mount that is adhered with the 3M automotive tape to your center console top (right next to the 2nd, pwr buttons) will discolor the oak interior plastic? I can't tell if its painted to integrally colored. I think it's the latter, but want to confirm before I try to peel it off that the finish won't come with it.

I've been pretty happy with these. it's a modular system that leverages ram-mount ball adapters

I have the phone case, but they have a "universal" mount for other devices and tablets

Does anyone know if taking off a phone mount that is adhered with the 3M automotive tape to your center console top (right next to the 2nd, pwr buttons) will discolor the oak interior plastic? I can't tell if its painted to integrally colored. I think it's the latter, but want to confirm before I try to peel it off that the finish won't come with it.
The Tan "Oak" color is not painted on the OEM console. The console itself is tan plastic. You should not have any discoloration but you may have some residue that needs to be cleaned off.

I am running a RAM mount with a MagSafe RAM mount for the phone, and off of a T I have a 3D printed mount for my HAM handheld.

1668269128734.jpeg

The Tan "Oak" color is not painted on the OEM console. The console itself is tan plastic. You should not have any discoloration but you may have some residue that needs to be cleaned off.
So I 100% took some of the finish off when I pulled off the 3M tape. Maybe mines been painted? But I don't think so.

So I 100% took some of the finish off when I pulled off the 3M tape. Maybe mines been painted? But I don't think so.
It's injection molded plastic. There is no finish or top coat/paint coat of any kind on any of the tan parts. Got a pic of the exact area that had the issue? It's possible the console had been swapped out with a gray one and someone sprayed it tan. Was the color under the "finish" gray or dark brown?

Last edited:
I use the Ram mount "X" mount and love it so far. It is mount using the Absolute Wits End "Oh s***" a pillar mount. Then I sourced the proper ball, arm and "X" mount from Ram Mount. The only downside is the small blind spot it produces but the pro is it in line of sight and easily readable when driving especially when I use a GPS app to see how fast/slow I am going.

View attachment 3173955
It’s hard to tell from this picture - but see the darker square? Then look at the little mark up above it. I think the whole console has been refinished.
Did it actually remove material or is that just adhesive residue? If it removed material, I'm wondering if it was coated with something that got removed. The plastic finish seems a bit more shinny than the usual matte OEM Oak finish. If you look up high on the pic and compare the matte tan "Oak" of your dash to the semi-gloss finish of your tranny shifter bezel/console, it seems like someone has sprayed some finish over the OEM console as a "restoration" project. SEM makes a tan color that is pretty close to the Oak color but a bit lighter and it has a shine exactly like that.

Last edited:
Did it actually remove material or is that just adhesive residue? If it removed material, I'm wondering if it was coated with something that got removed. The plastic finish seems a bit more shinny than the usual matte OEM Oak finish. If you look up high on the pic and compare the matte tan "Oak" of your dash to the semi-gloss finish of your tranny shifter bezel/console, it seems like someone has sprayed some finish over the OEM console as a "restoration" project. SEM makes a tan color that is pretty close to the Oak color but a bit lighter and it has a shine exactly like that.
It 100% removed some of the topcoat off the console. I think someone sprayed it previously.

I ordered a new one - it's barely noticeable but it will inevitably bother me haha

It 100% removed some of the topcoat off the console. I think someone sprayed it previously.

I ordered a new one - it's barely noticeable but it will inevitably bother me haha
Then it's definitely been sprayed. There is no "top coat" on the OEM console or on any of the plastic parts. If you decide to fix yourself, use the Rustoleum Textured Bronze paint. It has a bit of texture and a more matte finish. It's also a much closer color match to the OEM Oak color. You can see about 2" further up your console towards the dash on the tranny bezel where a tiny section of the top coat came up exposing the slightly darker true Oak color underneath. Same thing in the spot where the adhesive was removed. You can see the slightly darker OEM color in that location as well.

Then it's definitely been sprayed. There is no "top coat" on the OEM console or on any of the plastic parts. If you decide to fix yourself, use the Rustoleum Textured Bronze paint. It has a bit of texture and a more matte finish. It's also a much closer color match to the OEM Oak color. You can see about 2" further up your console towards the dash on the tranny bezel where a tiny section of the top coat came up exposing the slightly darker true Oak color underneath. Same thing in the spot where the adhesive was removed. You can see the slightly darker OEM color in that location as well.
Is this the stuff?

Amazon product ASIN B000LNQS2K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom