What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (35 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined in with a local club outing for my first ever time driving 4x4 (other than snow/ice).

rquTGo7.jpg

Joined in with a local club outing for my first ever time driving 4x4 (other than snow/ice).

rquTGo7.jpg

Nice truck and beautiful dog @Sumguy … question, what do you have for a headliner? Can you post more pictures?

Nice truck and beautiful dog @Sumguy … question, what do you have for a headliner? Can you post more pictures?

Thanks. Headliner basics are a DIY install of some southwest style fabric (wool/polly blend) the wife found on Etsy to replace the crumbly original. Details are in my build thread (that I haven't touched since posting the headliner, I'm REALLY bad about that):

If you want more photos/info than what I've posted already, just send me a direct message.

Booo but it could be worse!! Also whatcha sellin? Cause I may be buyin 🤣
I bought an entire clutch kit (clutch, flywheel, bearings), the forum member made new battery/alternator wire kit with all the options and some other odds and ends I probably won't end up needing whenever I get around to this motor swap.

Took the cruiser up to Skyland resort and temps hit the teens on the top of the mountain. Motor was not a fan of those temps and I noticed I was leaking some coolant for some reason. Hasn't leaked coolant before or since we got back. It leaks many other fluids but coolant is not one of them.

Drove to Central WA to pick up an old Smittybilt front bumper that I'll fix and repaint to replace my dented and beat up OEM front.

Need to figure out a good method for straightening out a crunch on the end of one of the tubes so it can be straight again and I can put new caps on, but overall not in bad shape at all. Only cost me the price of gas for 6.5hrs of drive time.

I bought an entire clutch kit (clutch, flywheel, bearings), the forum member made new battery/alternator wire kit with all the options and some other odds and ends I probably won't end up needing whenever I get around to this motor swap.

Took the cruiser up to Skyland resort and temps hit the teens on the top of the mountain. Motor was not a fan of those temps and I noticed I was leaking some coolant for some reason. Hasn't leaked coolant before or since we got back. It leaks many other fluids but coolant is not one of them.
Coolant leak + cold temps = check your hose clamps.

About 1/2 through with a tranny and t-case swap. Over the hump with removing the old transmission and t-case. I used a floor jack under the passenger tire to raise that corner of the 60 high enough to roll out the old units. Approaching the high point with the jack the left rear tire shifted slightly so I anchored the 60 to a tractor with chains and a More Power Puller. Next up is assemble the new parts, reinstall the bell housing, which was removed to patch an oil leak, and put the remaining pieces of the puzzle back together.

IMG_9237.jpg

You are doing what I would have done given the circumstances. Good luck.👍👍👍

I know some of you guys are running 285/75 17 tires in here, Are yall just running them on the normal OME and the like type 2.5 inch lift springs?

I picked up a set with some 4.30 BS wheels. Will have to run spacers to get them to the 3.5 ish backspace area on the fj60 axles. The backspacing is correct for the 80 series axles incoming.

Just trying to see if anyone had to do anything else to fit the 285/75/17 (34 inch tall) tires spring under. Longer shackles or cutting or anything?

I know some of you guys are running 285/75 17 tires in here, Are yall just running them on the normal OME and the like type 2.5 inch lift springs?

I picked up a set with some 4.30 BS wheels. Will have to run spacers to get them to the 3.5 ish backspace area on the fj60 axles. The backspacing is correct for the 80 series axles incoming.

Just trying to see if anyone had to do anything else to fit the 285/75/17 (34 inch tall) tires spring under. Longer shackles or cutting or anything?
Not exactly what you asked for but I run 255/80/17 which equals 33.1" tall and 10" width with zero rubbing or problems. I did use spacers and I have the OME 2" lift medium springs. Your asking for 285/75/17 which equals 33.8" tall and 11.2" width tire. So 0.7" taller and a lot wider. I am assuming you will need spacers at the very least?

Not exactly what you asked for but I run 255/80/17 which equals 33.1" tall and 10" width with zero rubbing or problems. I did use spacers and I have the OME 2" lift medium springs. Your asking for 285/75/17 which equals 33.8" tall and 11.2" width tire. So 0.7" taller and a lot wider. I am assuming you will need spacers at the very least?
Thats kind of what im wondering, on the wheel thread it seems people arent having wheel clearance issues with the 17 inch wheels like they do with the 15s. I got some 1.25 inch spacers just in case, im just wondering if anyone is having tire clearance issues running the 34 inch tall tire, im on 33x12.5r15 now, but irl its more like 31.8x12.5 hah

Thats kind of what im wondering, on the wheel thread it seems people arent having wheel clearance issues with the 17 inch wheels like they do with the 15s. I got some 1.25 inch spacers just in case, im just wondering if anyone is having tire clearance issues running the 34 inch tall tire, im on 33x12.5r15 now, but irl its more like 31.8x12.5 hah
As another data point: I am running tundra mod, fjc steelies (4.75 BS I think) with 285/70 17, on OME (CS005F). No rubbing either now or before I did the front brake upgrade.

38BD1EBC-D320-4A51-8140-25DEC29286B7_1_102_o.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom