What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (90 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Try to find a surface that was slippery enough that I could spin the rear tires in order to figure out if I have a limited slip differential in my ‘94 FZJ80. Called the dealer that originally sold it and they weren’t able to tell me based on the VIN. If any parts guros on the forum know how to look it up, I would love to hear from you.

For what? You seem to have a plethora of tanks under there......
😂

Rear washer. The diverter valve was ****ed and this was only $22 and my time.

Diverter valve was $75 here

Try to find a surface that was slippery enough that I could spin the rear tires in order to figure out if I have a limited slip differential in my ‘94 FZJ80. Called the dealer that originally sold it and they weren’t able to tell me based on the VIN. If any parts guros on the forum know how to look it up, I would love to hear from you.

There were no US spec LSD offered in the market. Check the build sticker on the driver side door. It most likely has a K292 code which is an open differential.

Replaced the power antenna in my '97....twice. :rolleyes:

I dropped my new mast in yesterday, but it struggled to fully retract, sometimes went down sometimes it didn't and I could hear some clicking that didn't sounds right. So today I followed the archived post from Mud in the wayback machine (link below) which provided incredible step by step directions to open up the retractor where sure enough I found old broken toothed cable from AT LEAST one other mast. Pulled out the old trash, re-greased and put it back together. Works like a charm now. Not difficult, but I definitely wasted some time until I found the step by step instructions. Personally I like have the OEM design and functional up and down buttons again!

20221119_135249.jpg
20221119_233517.jpg

IYKYK, but don't forget the design changed from the smooth cable to the toothed design sometime in 1996 (toothed cable & parts pictured above).

Last edited:

Replaced the power antenna in my '97....twice. :rolleyes:

I dropped my new mast in yesterday, but it struggled to fully retract, sometimes went down sometimes it didn't and I could hear some clicking that didn't sounds right. So today I followed the archived post from Mud in the wayback machine (link below) which provided incredible step by step directions to open up the retractor where sure enough I found old broken toothed cable from AT LEAST one other mast. Pulled out the old trash, re-greased and put it all back together. Works like a charm now. Not difficult, but I definitely wasted some time with trial and error until I found the step by step instructions. Personally I like have the OEM design and functional up and down buttons again!

View attachment 3173487View attachment 3173488

IYKYK, but don't forget the design changed from the smooth cable to the toothed design sometime in 1996 (toothed cable & parts pictured above).

Do you actually listen to radio or just wanted it to function?

Do you actually listen to radio or just wanted it to function?
Ha! Fair question. I do actually listen to the radio, especially on days it is a daily driver. It drove me a bit nuts when I would hit FM button and static would kick in at 300% of the volume of any of the other inputs...

Surprisingly the aftermarket radio a previous owner put in appears to be setup correctly so the Antenna goes up only when using the FM function. Should we just use a fixed mast? Probably -- but what about this hobby is supposed to make sense?

Last edited:
Ha! Fair question. I do actually listen to the radio, especially on days it is a daily driver. It drove me a bit nuts when I would hit FM button and static would kick in at 300% of the volume of any of the other inputs...

Surprisingly the aftermarket radio a previous owner put in appears to be setup correctly so the Antenna goes up only when using the FM function. Should we just use a fixed mast? Probably -- but what about this hobby is supposed to make sense?

I keep mine down all the time. But I also rarely use the radio. I tend to stream podcasts or Spotify with Android auto. I also don't use mine because it works and don't want it to stop lol.

Ran up to VA to run a new to me trail with some old and new friends alike. Chilly but great weekend in the woods

Turtled the 80 pretty well and discovered my winch no longer works :(
C1E33A5B-E90F-4DC7-9CBC-5C32426433E0.jpeg
2BA2F5CC-DC62-4F5B-B834-FF8D91C41CE3.jpeg

0E770A8A-50AB-4995-8499-6271B6359ACB.jpeg

6080DAA0-D752-4995-BEAA-86A0801EF08F.jpeg

Last edited:
Took the winch apart, seems there was water ingression as rust seized part that enabled the winch to be in free gear for pulling wire.

Lots of cleaning done, unfortunately seems the gasket is shot hence the water issue. Will need to get a silicon gasket.

20221120_160431.jpg

20221120_160424.jpg

20221120_160418.jpg

Played around with some LED lighting in the engine area.
A litttle tidier electric cables.

20221120_184558.jpg

20221120_184552.jpg

20221120_184548.jpg

A lot easier to see the head gasket leaking that way 😜😩😜...You know I am just joking. 😊
🤣🤣 well it does show the very poor workmenship on the previous headgasket change !!!

I'm going to rebuild the engine anyways. One thing i learned besides how awesome and durable the 80 series is, i will have to rebuild everything.
Really glad I got this rig, best purchase i ever made.
At least It's now getting the love it deserves ....

🤣🤣 well it does show the very poor workmenship on the previous headgasket change !!!

I'm going to rebuild the engine anyways. One thing i learned besides how awesome and durable the 80 series is, i will have to rebuild everything.
Really glad I got this rig, best purchase i ever made.
At least It's now getting the love it deserves ....
It will be a well sorted rig ready to give you thousands of km once your done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom