Good multimeter? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
I'm looking for a new multimeter for general use, including troubleshooting on the 200.

I'm not into building electronics or computers or anything like that.

I mostly use it for dc voltage, checking continuity and measuring resistance. Occasionally, I'll use it for measuring AC current, but rarely. I suspect thats a pretty low bar as far as multimeter requirements.

Do you have or recommend one that you enjoy using?

This will be an upgrade from the craftsman one I picked up ~30 years ago. I imagine that one will have a new life permanently in the cargo drawers of the 200.

A typical multimeter doesn’t read AC amps high enough to be useful. You’ll want a clamp on type meter for AC amps. For your truck tool bag, Fluke or Klein in a hard case will be fine. I keep a Klein meter in each of my garage, both vehicles, cabin, and camper. For me, they are like tape measures: it’s not possible to have too many.

Amazon product ASIN B018EXZO8M

I have an old Fluke too. My go to tool for checking 12 volt continuity is my test light. It's simple and fast.

Older Flukes are fantastic. Newer ones less obviously so.
I was astonished just a few days ago when I compared an old 179 to a lab-quality ammeter and it was within 1 mA over the entire DC range. I was also surprised at how good the clamp measurements were with a 325.
So, to me a second-hand older Fluke in good condition would be a no-brainer for somebody on a budget who wants a good tool.
Having said that, for OP's stated uses aside from AC current (dangerous in any case if it's mains), I suspect that even a freebie HF multimeter would do the job. Voltage is very easy to measure accurately.

The multimeter market seems ripe for disruption. I haven’t come across a stand-out unit for general use at a good price. The cheaper ones will have bad off-axis displays, lack auto-off power down, restrictively short and stiff wires on the leads.

I’ve been using the 101. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HE6MIJY?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

The real dark horse for usability for automotive applications might be the magnetic hanger, though. Flat and level surfaces might be rare, but there’s almost always something metal to hang the meter on.

TestHelper KCH10 Magnetic and Hanger Strap Use for Multimeter Meter Hanging Hang Kit https://a.co/3JHh64Z

Still using the old Fluke 8024B that I bought second-hand here on Mud; it has never let me down.

yes, having a DC clamp is great for automotive work. Be aware though of the max range and the reduced accuracy at low currents. Probably not the best idea to have a 400A meter to do 1A work most of the time unless you calibrated it at that level. And it's not because it says it has a "4/40/400A" range that it is accurate at low currents. Accuracy is not the same as resolution, of course.
Having said that, often with automotive work, just knowing that some current is flowing or not, is already very useful and accuracy does not matter for that, naturally.
Perhaps surprisingly given the Physics involved, some Hall effect (clamp) meters are really quite accurate in the range they are built for.

A lot of cheaper multimeters are capable of DC amperage up to 10A (internally fused). This works fairly well for tracking small parasitic loads and testing low draw circuits in automotive applications. Anything over that and an amp clamp is really nice.

For basic, DC voltage testing there are simple test lamps with an LCD voltage readout, like this: Amazon product ASIN B082F9F5TJIn a lot of applications a test light is quicker, easier to use and easier to carry than a multimeter.

^ Don't forget that the clamp allows you to do a non-intrusive measurement. That is a big deal. With the usual in series amp measurements with a multimeter, you need to open the circuit somehow, of course, that can be problematic if you deal with harnesses, ECUs etc.
Also, a simple test lamp may tell you that you have voltage someplace, it does not tell you that you have current going through wires after that.

Thanks everyone! This got moved to a different forum and I didn't know where it went. I appreciate all the guidance.

Last edited:
I will admit that I have a problem with collecting too many multimeters. I think I'm up to six or seven now.

My favorite to use for general stuff is a Fluke 179. Not fancy, but it just works really well. I got it as a gift, not sure I'd spend that much on one now.

I have a couple Klein's and they are great. I have a CL800 that goes with me anytime I do electrical work, and the temp probe is handy.

Then there's this one. I inherited this from my dad, it's older than me but still works. As long as you have time to wait for the tubes to warm up...
PXL_20221126_150002957.jpg

Whatever you choose, I recommend storing it with the batteries removed, or have a regimen where you replace the battery annually. I lost a really nice Beckman meter years ago when the batteries leaked and ruined the guts.

Thanks! And also for the tip on batteries- I never thought about that, but it makes so much sense. I'm going to go out and remove the battery from my multimeter right now.

Update, it is a Radio Shack, not a Craftsman. At least 25 years old, maybe 30.

For now I ordered an inexpensive Fluke off Amazon, and will keep my eye out for a deal on a nicer used Fluke. I'm sure the new Fluke is probably inexpensive crap but it is also probably still better than my ancient Radio Shack.

image.jpg

Good call!! Corrosion!
image.jpg

Last edited:
Fluke 87 here. I have 2, and have had them for many years. Remove and replace batteries is important. These things can sit for long periods in the heat and cold. Forgotten, until you need to use them.
Slight aside: one of the displays on my 87's is acting up. Any recommendations on how/where to get the display fixed? DIY?

Thanks! And also for the tip on batteries- I never thought about that, but it makes so much sense. I'm going to go out and remove the battery from my multimeter right now.

Update, it is a Radio Shack, not a Craftsman. At least 25 years old, maybe 30.

For now I ordered an inexpensive Fluke off Amazon, and will keep my eye out for a deal on a nicer used Fluke. I'm sure the new Fluke is probably inexpensive crap but it is also probably still better than my ancient Radio Shack.

View attachment 3178220
Good call!! Corrosion!
View attachment 3178221
I've got that same meter except labeled Micronta. Actually a pretty good meter and worth trying to clean up the contacts and hopefully get a more life out of it. Mine did that too years ago after sitting unused but was able to get it back working again. Agree w/ others on Fluke if you're looking to replace. I've got several I've picked up for good prices at pawn shops and on ebay.

Fluke 87 here. I have 2, and have had them for many years. Remove and replace batteries is important. These things can sit for long periods in the heat and cold. Forgotten, until you need to use them.
Slight aside: one of the displays on my 87's is acting up. Any recommendations on how/where to get the display fixed? DIY?
you can have these serviced directly through fluke.
i noticed while searching there are a handful of other businesses that also service fluke meters.

you can have these serviced directly through fluke.
i noticed while searching there are a handful of other businesses that also service fluke meters.
Thanks gnob. I'm on it ! Hopefully, I'll get another 20 years out of the Fluke. It will outlast me :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom