What did you do with your Tundra or Sequoia this weekend? (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

These pics were taken a week apart. Snow arrived last week.

69CE505D-EE6A-44D5-8AC6-D380CDC0ADC8.jpeg

6BD82168-9C4E-452A-9413-673FC75A06E2.jpeg

Swapped out the starter on my 2nd Gen (244,000 miles so it had a good run). What a PITA. I used the motor mount lift method vs the exhaust manifold method. My one other piece of advice would be to thoroughly soak the dipstick tube hold-down bolt before removing, mine sheared and is now hanging in there with zip ties until I figure out how to properly address it for tap out or maybe just JB Weld. It’s in a tricky spot for a drill, even if removing the air box.

Symptoms were spinning sound but bendix not engaging, every 4th start attempt or so. Also would get several codes that didn’t seem starter-related at first blush:

457FF86A-1288-431F-AF05-ADC41AAF9562.jpeg

Drove a ~1,500 mile round trip to put some birds in it. I had previously only driven it about 3k miles this year. Threw some new takeoff P-rated Michelins on before the trip. WOW, I forgot how smooth and quiet this rig could be. Also proved that a 1GR Tacoma (and a pretty new 5.3 Tahoe) only beat a 3UR Tundra by 1 MPG at sustained highway speeds that we'll simply leave at "exciting."
20221204_154612.jpg
20221202_092750.jpg

First week with my new Gen 1 SR5 Tree. Picked it up with 189,000 miles on the odometer and a bunch of little problems (was 2003 a bad year for latches and handles? for my rig it was!). Looking forward to getting her prettied up a bit and cleaned up. Pictures to come.

That’s actually a fairly cool setup. That’s a bit of money up there.

I have dirty deeds exhaust on my Sequoia and I have the same drone around the 1800-2000 rpm range. Typically it goes away when I shift up a gear but I've learned to live with it. Glad to know the sound proofing didn't help much so I don't go down that rabbit hole.
I have the 8” on my tundra same issue.

I have the 8” on my tundra same issue.
Did you get a helmholtz resonator ( i think its called) on it?
I know he used to do that on his more elaborate exhaust setups.

Did you get a helmholtz resonator ( i think its called) on it?
I know he used to do that on his more elaborate exhaust setups.
Yes, he sends them with the exhaust and you have to drill a hole in your tailpipe and clamp it on. I kept mine off. There is some drone at times on hills but it's not bad......the wife and kids haven't complained .....even on family road trips to Georgia and Florida.

I've replaced all the broken handles and latches (besides the rear latch, which just came in). It's been rainy so I haven't gotten much done besides replacing internal trim, putting a new battery on her, and running a couple tanks of gas through her. Dropped her off at the muffler shop this morning to have some pipe welded in (damn tweakers took my catalytic converters!). Pulled codes, and both were just O2 codes- does anyone know if the 2UZ-FE retards/dials back anything when it can't get a reading from an O2?

I've replaced all the broken handles and latches (besides the rear latch, which just came in). It's been rainy so I haven't gotten much done besides replacing internal trim, putting a new battery on her, and running a couple tanks of gas through her. Dropped her off at the muffler shop this morning to have some pipe welded in (damn tweakers took my catalytic converters!). Pulled codes, and both were just O2 codes- does anyone know if the 2UZ-FE retards/dials back anything when it can't get a reading from an O2?
Mine has had the upstream O2 codes since I got it 2 months ago. I can't get them out for replacement. It runs great. I don't think it matters with what I have experienced.

Last edited:
Mine has had the upstream O2 codes since I got it 2 months ago. I can't get them out for replacement. It runs great. I don't think it matters that I have experienced.
My experience with my 3rd gen 4Runner was that the O2 sensor change resulted in better mpg. When they are not functioning properly it tended to run overly rich I think and resulted in maybe 2mpg worse fuel economy. Otherwise I could not tell any difference. So it may be worth fixing for that reason. But I don't know what the ECU does with that info on other engines.

My experience with my 3rd gen 4Runner was that the O2 sensor change resulted in better mpg. When they are not functioning properly it tended to run overly rich I think and resulted in maybe 2mpg worse fuel economy. Otherwise I could not tell any difference. So it may be worth fixing for that reason. But I don't know what the ECU does with that info on other engines.
I wondered the same. Right now I get 15-16 when I hand calc it and the lie meter says 15.5-16 usually. Seems normal for these? I am not sure what others might say. If I could get those darn things out, I'd change them. I bought all 4 sensors and was only able to change the 2 downstream.

Last edited:
A bunch of needed maintenance. Changed original plugs to Denso Iridium TT, new valve cover gaskets, major cleaning, and installed fog lights. Got to mark a bunch of Stuff of the punch list.

PXL_20230101_154434958.jpg
PXL_20230101_174026834.jpg
PXL_20230101_174058457.jpg
PXL_20230101_192945394.jpg
PXL_20230101_231050637.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom