Wits End Turbo Owners (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
All it’d need is a simple sheet metal bracket. I might mock one up then cut it on my plasma table.
You would be the first I’ve seen have the issue related to the turbo. That being said I’ve replaced about five of the MAF plugs and terminals on non-turbo trucks here so I’d assume the new routing doesn’t make it better. I’ll look into a potential solution.

Last edited:
You would be the first I’ve seen have the issue related to the turbo. That being said I’ve replaced about five of the MAF plugs and terminals on non-turbo trucks here so I’d assume the new routing doesn’t make it better. I’ll look into a potential solution.
Mine has always been very tight fit. Haven't had any problems yet but rerouting or maybe extending the pigtail might get it away from the turbo heat

Today was the first day that I was able to put a few miles on the Cruiser after the turbo installation since I had to drive it to the muffler shop. I put about 30 miles on it.

I need some troubleshooting help with my Boost sensor/gauge. I sent JRP an email, but while I was waiting for Dave to respond I thought I'd check here as well.

The Boost sensor that comes with the JRP kit has a barbed fitting on it, so I had to install a barbed adapter into the Wits' End vacuum tree along with a short run of vacuum tubing into the JRP Boost sensor.

All that seemed fine, however, my Boost gauge doesn't change from -14.5psi at any speed all the way up to 65-70. Is there a setting that I missed? Does that need to be calibrated?

The attached picture shows my setup. The red arrows show the 2 connection points.

View attachment 3155525
Just to close the loop on this issue - turns out I had a bad control unit. Dave from JRP sent me out a new one right away and all is well now. Great service, thanks again Dave.

I made the mistake of reading this thread and watching his vids and now I'm having dirty thoughts about doing an e85 conversion.

Kit he used: Auto Products - eFlexFuel Technology - https://eflexfuel.com/us/auto-products

Has this topic been discussed in this thread before?

I made the mistake of reading this thread and watching his vids and now I'm having dirty thoughts about doing an e85 conversion.

Kit he used: Auto Products - eFlexFuel Technology - https://eflexfuel.com/us/auto-products

Has this topic been discussed in this thread before?
palpatine-star-wars.gif

Depending on your level of power you choose to be at the auto trans might not be very happy.

I didnt read that thread but e85 is going to open a can of worms. Not sure how an old 80 series would fare. You need way more fuel because of energy density so the fuel pressure has to go way up, oil gets contaminated so more frequent oil changes, no lubricant in e85 so injectors fail, plus failure from excessive pressure and it is a solvent so any accumulated gunk in the system is going to be released and pushed through.

Agree — with @bwakeling. E85 swap is possible, but it’s not a simple plug-and-play…and it’s not readily accessible anywhere near me, whereas 91 octane is.

This is great info, thx. It's nice to have inputs from others.

Ethanol is a solvent so it's going to clean everything in its path. I can see the fuel filter getting replaced frequently during the beginning stages of running e85. I was reading an article this am about how bad e85 is for gasoline engines and the guy mostly talked about the seal and rubber components being impacted. So for the 80s, we're talking about rubber fuel return lines but not sure what other non metal fuel system componenets would be impacted. Fuel injector O rings - are they touching fuel? Yeah, probably to some extent so they oughta be replaced. Anything inside the injectors getting impacted by e85? Should one swap the injectors over to e85 compatible injectors?

eflexfuel.com states that e85 is 100 octane so that sounds great in regards to engine knocking.. Which means you *could* advance your timing w/o an intercooler but you may not want to just in case you can't get e85 on your travels. Their kit has a sensor that detects the amount of e85 in your fuel and it does its thing automatically and the kit is plug n play. Check out the video and you can see how easy it is to install, well, at least to some of us anyway 🤔

I'm sure there are other negatives to this conversion and I'm curious to hear what they are for our engines, specifically. I wonder if anyone has done it and can speak from experience!

some random crap from the 'net i found. Check out the alternative fuel comparison table blow, it's interesting.

People also ask
Does E85 Make more power vs 91?
Faster Burning. E85 fuel has a faster ignition time and flame propagation when compared to gasoline. This leads to higher cylinder pressure, as well as increased engine torque and power, gaining up to 20%.

Is E85 better than 91 octane?
E85 has higher octane than regular gasoline. This means that E85 is a lot better for your car's engine than regular gasoline. It is also a cleaner fuel with lesser harmful emissions. On the downside, E85 burns faster and produces lesser energy than gasoline.

E85 CON'S
  • It's potentially damaging. E85 is not corrosive in nature, but does attract moisture; and water is bad news for engines. ...
  • It can be costly to retrofit. Vehicles produced before 1987 are not E85 compatible. ...
  • Not quite environmentally friendly. ...
  • Not as efficient. ...
  • Bad in cold weather
Do you get worse MPG with E85?
MPG. Due to ethanol's lower energy content, FFVs operating on E85 get roughly 15% to 27% fewer miles per gallon than when operating on regular gasoline, depending on the ethanol content.

1670527810781.png

1670527750825.png

Attachments

• fuel_comparison_chart.pdf
    740.8 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
also keep in mind e85 on its own isnt going to do much. You need to tune for it to get any benefit. If you are going standalone ecu for fueling you could probably do it. My experience (or reading) is on the BMW forums where guys are making monstrous power on e85. Even on modern engines there is a lot of component failure because it pushes the design parameter so hard. If you are going standalone its probably easier to just tune for 91/93 and more boost. If you are pushing up[ the power level expect your fuel economy to drop dramatically.

Meth injection would be easier given you have a port already installed on the intake piping.

Last edited:
The most practical way to do E85 would be a haltech or other aftermarket ECU and flex-fuel setup.

Good info, thank you gents.

The most practical way to do E85 would be a haltech or other aftermarket ECU and flex-fuel setup.

The FlexFuel setup is linked on my post above and that part looks easy. That company also has a "pro" package with a tune or something that I didn't read too hard. It's all the other stuff that pushes the cost up rather high. It's interesting that their customer service wants to know about all of your mods before ordering!

The eFlexPro is a patented E85 flex fuel conversion kit designed for technical auto enthusiasts and professional drivers who want more power and precision from their engine. Adding horsepower is expensive. With eFlexPro, you can offset some of those costs and get the power you want with fully customizable fuel maps.
  • Fully automatic system with no tuning or changing maps required: Drive on E85, gasoline, or a combination of the two
  • Complete system specific to your vehicle with everything included for DIY installation
  • Piggy-back technology that doesn’t interfere with the OEM engine systems
  • Connect to two OEM or external engine sensors: MAF, MAP, TPS or WBO. Create your own E85 tunes with eFlexTuner PC software’s fully adjustable fuel maps.
  • We verify the compatibility of your fuel system and possible engine modifications for E85: fuel injectors, fuel pump, fuel lines
If maximum power is what you’re after, choose eFlexPro. Drive on with E85 or gasoline and optimize your vehicle for the way you like to drive.
$999

I give this a 5% chance of working on a '96-97 USDM 80 series.

The FlexFuel setup is linked on my post above and that part looks easy. That company also has a "pro" package with a tune or something that I didn't read too hard. It's all the other stuff that pushes the cost up rather high. It's interesting that their customer service wants to know about all of your mods before ordering!

The eFlexPro is a patented E85 flex fuel conversion kit designed for technical auto enthusiasts and professional drivers who want more power and precision from their engine. Adding horsepower is expensive. With eFlexPro, you can offset some of those costs and get the power you want with fully customizable fuel maps.
  • Fully automatic system with no tuning or changing maps required: Drive on E85, gasoline, or a combination of the two
  • Complete system specific to your vehicle with everything included for DIY installation
  • Piggy-back technology that doesn’t interfere with the OEM engine systems
  • Connect to two OEM or external engine sensors: MAF, MAP, TPS or WBO. Create your own E85 tunes with eFlexTuner PC software’s fully adjustable fuel maps.
  • We verify the compatibility of your fuel system and possible engine modifications for E85: fuel injectors, fuel pump, fuel lines
If maximum power is what you’re after, choose eFlexPro. Drive on with E85 or gasoline and optimize your vehicle for the way you like to drive.
$9

Took apart the intake after 5k turbo miles to check out how much oil blow by had accumulated and was shocked to find this much. Already planned on a dual catch can, so expediting that now. Any thoughts on this?
00FB22D1-A6CC-46A1-932E-D6C32998923A.jpeg

EC232F0E-71F0-404D-8ADC-0CA3B90309A2.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: CJK
Yes, I had the same exact issue.

If you go back and search this thread with my username, you can see I discuss this issue and also see two el cheapo air/water separators. I'll post up a pic of my setup for a quick discussion.

The left unit (near the turbo inlet), is situated such that the arrow on the air/oil separator is pointing to the left. Meaning, the air is moving from the valve cover to the turbo inlet. The right air/oil separator has the arrow going to the right, meaning the air is moving from the valve cover to the throttle body. Both units are capturing a large amount of blow by.

1670958022007.png

If you go back and search this thread with my username, you can see I discuss this issue and also see two el cheapo air/water separators. I'll post up a pic of my setup for a quick discussion.

The left unit (near the turbo inlet), is situated such that the arrow on the air/oil separator is pointing to the left. Meaning, the air is moving from the valve cover to the turbo inlet. The right air/oil separator has the arrow going to the right, meaning the air is moving from the valve cover to the throttle body. Both units are capturing a large amount of blow by.

View attachment 3192755

Ahh yes I had seen your posts, guess I was more wondering about the cause of the excessive blow by and if you had chased that at all. That earlier convo turned into a catch can discussion pretty quickly and didn’t see anything about whether or not the cause of the blow by was worth investigating or this is just the nature of a boosted setup.

Do you think the blow by is a result of boost alone, or in conjunction with high mileage?
I don't know the mileage or condition of your engine, so it's just an observation more than anything else.
I'm still waiting on my box of boost to show up from Joey, but I'm starting the build with a completely fresh engine rebuilt and will be playing close attention to any blow by.
I think a catch can or two might be a good add as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom