65 FJ45 lwb (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'll try my best here to document and explain the story of "Fallon".

November 8th 2022 a phone call came my way from someone saying that their brother in law had a Land Cruiser for sale. "Ya it's a Land Cruiser, it's a pickup Land Cruiser!"

I pause, take a deep breath and sip my coffee thinking in my head "what in the fu*k am I doing."

I kindly reply "Okay ya I'm interested give me a name and a number I'll give em a shout brother!"

Later in the evening is my first phone call to "Ed" the current owner. Ed explains the story of how his father bought it new in 1965 in Placerville, California. "Ya, it had a camper shell on it when Dad bought it new from the dealership. They put the headache rack and tailgate in the trucks bed."

The family use to reside in Colfax, California up until 1968. 1968 rolled around and it was time for a change for the family. They chose Fallon, Nevada.

"It came up and over Donner Summit carrying pipe to the top of the bed and a Catapillar 22 behind it! (A catapillar 22 weighs 6200 pounds according to wikipedia.) and I believe the man. He's not a bull sh*tter type after meeting him. It probably did 15MPH up highway 80.

So we chat some more Ed goes on about how it's original and so forth. I tell him to send me photos and that I am interested.
On the afternoon of the 11th I manage to receive about 10 photos of the Cruiser. (Daughter had to swing by to assist with iphone) and it's exactly what I thought.

A nearly rust free FJ45 that had been living it's life in a favorable microclimate. Now to tackle my thoughts racing in my head.. Work life family balance.... Current projects.... Lots of upcoming travels.... Looking at other job opportunities. ehh Fu*k it live once.

So I did what any Cruiser addict would have to do. I thought about what is next on projects and what I don't want around. I managed to sell this 77 off in a few days that was "waiting" next in line.

77 FJ40 for sale

it tentatively sold on the 14th was delivered the 16th to Long Beach and I was on my way to Fallon, Nevada that afternoon.

1250 miles in 48 hours. (time crunch with work schedule and when a 45 comes up you take it.)

I arrive to meet Ed the morning of the 17th at his property in Fallon, Nevada. Just on the outskirts of town with beautiful mountain ranges in the distance my car reads 20 degrees at 8:30am. It's brisk outside, air is dry, i'm wearing a north face down with a Costco Gerry jacket over it. Call me a chicken Sh*t but I'm cold.

Chat it up with Ed for a while look over the car to find very minimal rust, very complete car. SD40 intact and a massive tool roll under the drivers seat. I need to get moving..... But I am the talking type and Ed is too. I soak in the stories this car had like a sponge. I look over the camper now sitting in the field he once camped in as a young boy. There's a lot of emotions in this moment, memories made and memories cherished this car did a lot. It's pretty cool to experience the moment I really do enjoy the stories told.

I follow Ed to the local bank to count it out and we shake hands. It's definitely not the last time I will see him. (I still need to get that damn camper shell.)

Go on the road and made good time stopped to see @orangefj45 and the gang at Valley Hybrids. Made it home around 8:30 at night. Dark on the ranch I unloaded it and doubled up the car
covers.

Plans are leave it alone stock preserve it. Clean it and enjoy it, so lets see how that goes. Busy next few months but here's the intro.

Car # FJ45-20408 according to the list it looks like maybe number 2 in line now for long beds? @whitey45 can you confirm?

Photos below.

don't worry the other original wheels and acorn style caps are in the bed....

-Joe
Rawson Motorsports

IMG_9702.jpg

IMG_9713.jpg

IMG_9742.jpg

Congratulations! And thanks for the story of that 45 and how it became yours! We both recently bought 45s this past week and our stories are similar. Stumble upon a 45 lwb, what can I sell to buy it, sell that fast (and for me cheap), get that 45 asap.

Looking forward to following along on your journey.

Last edited:
what, no ammo? I usually find some type of ammo in rigs like this, usually 22 rounds or spent casings

Interesting that it is a non-heater model, and that it has the heater defrost guides in the windshield frame .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom