Ci Troa Soft top and bows (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think KingAir above already had bows and just ordered a top so I'm assuming the TROA bows would work with other tops but, idk. TROA quoted $3k for the bows (already powder coated black), top and extra top material for soft top doors. I'm going to check the wait time for a top from Dirt Road Tops and then decide.
Were you able to get ahold of Julie? Any idea on her Lead Time? I'm ready to place a soft top order from somewhere, but not in a huge hurry to get it...

Were you able to get ahold of Julie? Any idea on her Lead Time? I'm ready to place a soft top order from somewhere, but not in a huge hurry to get it...

I have not but only submitted a request through her website. I should have just called and might try to do that this week.

I have not but only submitted a request through her website. I should have just called and might try to do that this week.
The reason I'm asking is because I'm trying to get ahold of them as well. I've called a few times, with no luck. The website looks to be unfinished. Let me know if you get ahold of them.....I'll do the same!

Saw a post on Instagram (not from Dirt Road Tops) that said wait time is 18 - 24 months.

Oh Wow! I had heard there were abnormally long lead times due to supply/labor issues. What are you going to do?

I'm not in huge hurry but not sure I want to wait that long. Hoping she'll get her lead time under control, I've heard nothing but good stuff about her tops! I'll snag a DRT one day, may have to run my hard top for a little longer....

Oh Wow! I had heard there were abnormally long lead times due to supply/labor issues. What are you going to do?

I'm not in huge hurry but not sure I want to wait that long. Hoping she'll get her lead time under control, I've heard nothing but good stuff about her tops! I'll snag a DRT one day, may have to run my hard top for a little longer....
They are worth the wait. There is a reason she is busy.

Picture.

54A23630-2928-4373-995A-CC8485AC6A97.jpeg

I had also emailed TROA and I'm a bit confused because this is their reply, "This b-pillars are not included with the frame kit... the elements included are shown in this image".

The arrows are pointing to the B pillars, correct?

View attachment 3103413
Earlier this year they told me the kit came with b-pillar but not a windshield channel. I'm about to pull the trigger. Messaging them now and I'll let everyone know what they say. NO REGERTS!

They are worth the wait. There is a reason she is busy.
Yeah, like she's the only one there. I considered taking my summer vaction in Easley, and offering to run her sewing machines for a couple of weeks, just to get my top done.

Earlier this year they told me the kit came with b-pillar but not a windshield channel. I'm about to pull the trigger. Messaging them now and I'll let everyone know what they say. NO REGERTS!
I ordered the soft top and bow kit earlier today. They informed me it comes includes b-pillars and the windshield channel. I used the make an offer option to reduce the price by the cost of shipping. I think if you wanted to get cute you might be able to harness a larger discount than that.

Saw a post on Instagram (not from Dirt Road Tops) that said wait time is 18 - 24 months.

Thats my IG post. And I still have not received my top. She promised me 6 or 7 months and its been 16 months now and I can not get her to reply to any messages or calls... has me a bit worried at this point!

Thats my IG post. And I still have not received my top. She promised me 6 or 7 months and its been 16 months now and I can not get her to reply to any messages or calls... has me a bit worried at this point!

Nice 40! Bummer it has taken that long and hopefully she gets you your top. I left a message to get on her waitlist and never heard back. I'm going to order from Troa when ready.

That's my old FJ40! I've been wondering for years where it ended up! Looks great! Do you have a build thread for it?

Hit me up if you want any history, I have a lot of great memories with that truck, regret selling it every day.

Last edited:
It's been 12 months since I placed my order, and I haven't had an update from July since May. Has anyone heard an update from her recently on their order? I'm getting worried too.

Checking in on a report on the TROA soft top - considering buying the package w/ the bows and top for my 74. Any update or anyone else had any experience with TROA?
I haven't had time to put together a good set of photos with a write-up. I think the top is just OK. The material is thick and sturdy however there is some extra material on the sides that will create some waviness once I get the turnbuckles installed. I think this will prevent it from having that super taught appearance of OEM. I'm waiting to get the grommets in until its warm because the material will wind up stretching once we hit 100 in Texas. I do have some stretch on the passenger side windshield grommet. The material was very tight and difficult to stretch and this grommet hole is pulling out a little to the side of the metal grommet.

The bows are another can of worms and I knew going in that there would be some massaging needed. The door bows in this kit don't attach to the normal windshield captured nut and instead are bolted through the outer edge where the soft top snap or bolt would be. I believe OEM door bows are two pieces and this is a single piece. I opted for the roll up rear window to work with the barn doors. On the rear bow there are two "frames" so to speak. The outer frame is what you would think of as the bow supporting the top and the inner frame is where the window or doors will latch and be supported. On the bow kit I received this frame was made too short to connect to the tub so I have a large nut to span the gap. The seller worked with me on the price here and refunded me around $490 after some back and forth. This doesn't directly affect the function as long as I have a long enough bolt and a spacer but it's not exactly ideal either.

On the positive side the top looks pretty good. I think for the money it's still a very viable option given the trouble with US made tops and bows currently. I think the Dirt Road top alone costs as much as this kit and if you can get ahold of her you still may never receive what you ordered. If you buy US made bows they're going to come raw metal. You'll still be on the hook to paint or powder coat them at an additional cost. The TROA bows had a good powder coat on them and I took the exposed pieces that can be seen with the doors closed and painted them to match the body. The seller was very responsive but I could never get him on the phone to directly discuss the problems. I used ebay for all communication in case we came to a point that I felt a refund or other action was needed.

If you're very handy you can install this yourself. I had it at a shop and because they were doing so many other things I wound up paying quite a bit in labor to get the top on correctly. I only have a carport so doing projects myself on the cruiser has been challenging.

I'll try to get some detail photos this weekend and update this thread for everyone to see. Sorry if the post is a bit rambling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom