Builds Do I have your attention.... I call it VERA. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What do you all think about the SCS Ray 10 on this project?

The come in a 17x9 -38 which i think is similar to stock wheel that I have been using for mockups.

deep dish design...

View attachment 3164434

View attachment 3164435

View attachment 3164439

That is an inch wider than stock with a half-inch less backspace. That pushes the tire out an inch and a half wider than stock. Might that be too wide for the fenders/flares? I don't know, just thinking about it.

That is an inch wider than stock with a half-inch less backspace. THat pushes the tire out an inch and a half wider than stock. Might that be too wide for the fenders/flares? I don't know, just thinking about it.
I’m so glad that someone’s paying attention!!!

Tire backspacing and offset always gets me confused!

Yes I need something with the same offset as Stock, or be able to put spacers on it to put it in the same position.

I’m so glad that someone’s paying attention!!!

Tire backspacing and offset always gets me confused!

Yes I need something with the same offset as Stock, or be able to put spacers on it to put it in the same position.
Check out US wheel. They do custom offset steel wheels on request. Oem hub caps can be adapted to them as well. Unless you want more aftermarket looks.

If you want stock 80 geometry you want an 8 inch wide wheel with zero offset. That puts the backspace at 4.5 inches.

Offset and backspace are not the same measurement. They are two different ways of identifying the distance between the inner flange of the wheel and the wheel mounting surface. If backspace is not stated in the wheel specs you have to calculate it based on stated wheel width and offset.

If you want stock 80 geometry you want an 8 inch wide wheel with zero offset. That puts the backspace at 4.5 inches.

Offset and backspace are not the same measurement. They are two different ways of identifying the distance between the inner flange of the wheel and the wheel mounting surface. If backspace is not stated in the wheel specs you have to calculate it based on stated wheel width and offset.

ok, need to make sure I understand this.... assuming that the wheel wells were done assuming the zero offset stock rim, that to me means that I need a zero offset rim and the tire -regardless of the width of my rim - will be in the same location.

If I am looking at a 17" rim, that is wider, is this math correct for the tire to be at the same place as a stock 80?

8" wide, backspacing needs to be at 4.5 - this is a zero offset.

8.5" wide, backspacing needs to be at 4.75 this should be a zero offset.

9" wide, backspacing needs to be at 5.00, this should be a zero offset.

ok, need to make sure I understand this.... assuming that the wheel wells were done assuming the zero offset stock rim, that to me means that I need a zero offset rim and the tire -regardless of the width of my rim - will be in the same location.

If I am looking at a 17" rim, that is wider, is this math correct for the tire to be at the same place as a stock 80?

8" wide, backspacing needs to be at 4.5 - this is a zero offset.

8.5" wide, backspacing needs to be at 4.75 this should be a zero offset.

9" wide, backspacing needs to be at 5.00, this should be a zero offset.

Kinda. If you want the outer edge of the wheel rim to be in the same place as it is stock, the outer edge needs to be at 4.5 inches from the wheel mounting surface.

If you want the inner edge of the wheel to be in the same place as stock, the inner edge needs to be 4.5 inches from the wheel mounting surface.

In the case of your 8.5 inch example you have moved the inner lip .25 inch in and the outer lip .25 inch out. If you wanted the outer rim edge in the same place you would need a backspace of 5 inches. The "offset" of such a wheel would be listed as "-13mm", not zero.

Last edited:
Can’t go wrong with steelies. 17 or 18”. With the 37 you have a lot of versatility and they’re pretty inexpensive. Getting ready to put a 285/75R18 on the Tundy. Pic(s) to give you and idea.

9C7EC95A-2678-4CAD-BCDC-3B2E3B7C209C.jpeg

1D8DCCF4-9A7B-41E5-BA63-47A1ADDEE0E9.jpeg

Kinda. If you want the outer edge of the wheel rim to be in the same place as it is stock, the outer edge needs to be at 4.5 inches from the wheel mounting surface.

If you want the inner edge of the wheel to be in the same place as stock, the inner edge needs to be 4.5 inches from the wheel mounting surface.

In the case of your 8.5 inch example you have moved the inner lip .25 inch in and the outer lip .25 inch out. If you wanted the outer rim edge in the same place you would need a backspace of 5 inches. The "offset" of such a wheel would be listed as "-13mm", not zero.

Man, this is too confusing... so, do I ignore the offset and just focus on the backspacing???

So, for example, the SCS Ray10 shows -10mm offset, but now shows a 4.3" backspacing. Seems like we really want the 4.75" backspacing....

previously I said that for 8.5" wide, backspacing needs to be at 4.75 this should be a zero offset.

1668440949026.png

the hutchinson monsters show this.... -.394 offset, 4.51" of backspacing.
1668441185054.png

The walker evans is interesting, as they list 4 different backspacing. 3.75" , 4, 4.5" and 4.75" on the 8.5" rim.

1668441474557.png

If I remember correctly the Hutchinsons with a 12.5” tire came right to or just slightly past the edge of the front widened fenders. If I didn’t post a picture in the my original build thread I am sure I could dig one up showing the side profile looking at it from the front.

Not that you have to with the Hutchinsons but it would give you and idea of what the 4.51 backspace would look like.

If I remember correctly the Hutchinsons with a 12.5” tire came right to or just slightly past the edge of the front widened fenders. If I didn’t post a picture in the my original build thread I am sure I could dig one up showing the side profile looking at it from the front.

Not that you have to with the Hutchinsons but it would give you and idea of what the 4.51 backspace would look like.

My concern is really in the rear tub. I should have been patient and found the rims/tire combination and designed off of that; however, I did not. I used a 12.5" wide 37" tire on our stock 16x8 tires, and it polished the frame, but sat nicely in the narrow fender flares of the bed, so the inside of the tire should not be any further inboard. The outside of the tire is about 1/2 from the front edge of my new flares on the bed, so in my mind, about perfect.

So in my feeble little mind, I need to find rims that are similar, or combination of spacers and rims, and we are good to go.

I am confused by the -13 comment by @cruiserdan -- however, he has never steered me wrong before...

I might have to find some local rims and try them out..... once I get the tub back on. I think we have a local member with -10 offset SCS rims on 37" tires.

Can't chime in too much with the offsets and such, but I'm also one for a steel rim.

Pro whites to me give it such a period correct vibe :grinpimp:
20221107_134855.jpg

Can't chime in too much with the offsets and such, but I'm also one for a steel rim.

Pro whites to me give it such a period correct vibe :grinpimp:
View attachment 3168398

This is such an epic build for me, really wanted something with some punch to it; however those wagons look really nice! Thanks for sharing!

On the hunt for 17x8.5 with 4.75" backspacing.

KMC has several options...

1668529507271.png

Icon rebound

1668529838790.png

1668529877671.png

method has some... terrible site to navigate
1668530289997.png

method again
1668530411828.png

another
1668530529140.png

My son and I are thinking about the 312 method or six speed Icons.

Going to be watching for black friday/holiday specials on wheels!!!

Riot Beadlock?

I am very visual learner, so trying to find these rims on J##ps or FJ40's to see what the look like.

Riot is really hard to find on anything.... the pic below has riot on the front and stock on the rear even....
DSCF0253.jpg

found this video...

method 312...

1668608975133.png

1668609039205.png

1668609145907.png

The 312s look good.

Got the bed all scuffed down and seam sealer applied

3B795E2D-3BB1-4647-877F-2A2156A1AFCF.jpeg

475F87AC-876F-456B-B6E1-78167AB9C55C.jpeg

Bought one of these two test fit.

F850207B-4C58-45A8-B046-70A56BCCC1D5.jpeg