Builds Won a '74 40 on a coin toss... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well decided it was time to do some maintenance on the transmission and transfer case. Clearly there is at least one leak and I have the equalization hose installed. Not sure when or if the oil has been changed on these two so figured I’ve got the stuff (bought years ago) so let’s get’r done! Plus I can ensure the levels are good.

AB72F241-465A-4A53-89A5-4FB9D8FD48BE.jpeg

The plug for the transmission had some muck stuck to the magnet but didn’t see any metal shavings so that is a good sign.

5EFC8B2D-C46B-4C4D-A90A-169E631E89C5.jpeg

4BAB3025-4C0F-4CC9-9CD4-42B29B4FD76D.jpeg

Going to let it drain for awhile too hot to drive anyhow. This will go in it after full drainage.

FC377C01-D56A-4F61-8523-6B80B4F2A33B.jpeg

Finally got engine oil and tranny and transfer case oil changed.

Date: 9/26/2021
Mileage: 41,041

All seemed good no leaks so I got it out and drove it things seemed fine. Then all of a sudden I hear this weird noise. WTF was that?!! Didn’t hear it again and rest of drive was uneventful. Then got home and found this:

F3DCF648-6D3F-4B44-B372-8ACAC4247A8E.jpeg

Last edited:
Aaaaaand there he is.

Doing some rear strut testing... opens perfectly, has more clearance, and uses existing mounting holes... ;)

Read your entire build thread. Quite an amazing journey! What struts did you end up using as shown in your video? We are still using the OEM mechanical struts with springs. The hatch has fallen a few times on my head and I'm thinking your solution might be an improvement.

Read your entire build thread. Quite an amazing journey! What struts did you end up using as shown in your video? We are still using the OEM mechanical struts with springs. The hatch has fallen a few times on my head and I'm thinking your solution might be an improvement.
Check out @Racer65 ’s website they are awesome fit existing holes. Rear Hatch / Lift Gate Gas Struts for Land Cruiser FJ40 - LH and RH - https://www.cityracerllc.com/products/rear-hatch-gas-lift-struts-for-land-cruiser-fj40-lh-and-rh?_pos=1&_sid=855c8e544&_ss=r

Thanks! Just ordered a pair. I know that you are probably tired of folks asking...but...how is your AC project cming along?

Thanks! Just ordered a pair. I know that you are probably tired of folks asking...but...how is your AC project cming along?
Have made no further progress have little motivation right now and I think I’ve forgotten just about everything about the installation lol

I was in Vegas this week for a big insurance and risk management conference. We had dinner with one of our larger customers one night. First time meeting them, I was introduced to the future controller and before we even got in the restaurant, somehow he shared he had a '77 FJ40 that he wanted to get running again. I think his father-in-law or his grandfather is the original owner. Talk about a small world. We proceeded to talk Cruisers for a couple hours... He lives up in Rocklin, shared with him @Racer65's site as well as another person who I had bought a body panel from.

Okay guess I didn’t just meet a fellow cruiser guy but also met covid sonuva…. Not feeling too badly, but sucks because I will miss all the turkey day festivities with family. :(

So laying around saw a thread about license plates. Decided to pull the trigger on a replica plate, aluminum stamped. I have a front plate holder so this will look great on there.

DB1B9F7B-ABE9-4F5C-B679-089782D9BDE0.jpeg

52E27D4F-286B-44FB-AEFC-626B732A34C0.jpeg

Found my license plate bracket - can someone give me a measurement on location on stock bumper please? Distance of first hole to edge of bumper. I don’t have the stock bumper so no holes. But my bumper was an option with the winch kit. Also, my bumper probably is thick enough to tap the holes - does the stock bumper have fixed nuts? Thanks!

88F4A111-5BD1-458C-8EBD-D0764520ACE1.jpeg

Found my license plate bracket - can someone give me a measurement on location on stock bumper please? Distance of first hole to edge of bumper. I don’t have the stock bumper so no holes. But my bumper was an option with the winch kit. Also, my bumper probably is thick enough to tap the holes - does the stock bumper have fixed nuts? Thanks!

View attachment 3175977
Not sure if this helps but here you go:

Front License Plate Bracket.2.jpg

Front License Plate Bracket.1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom