Why Buy a Prado vs. ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New forum member: I own a 2006 Tacoma and a 1998 4Runner (which my son drives). I have had the Land Cruiser bug for awhile and am hoping to buy one in the next year or so.

I originally was after a 60 series... not no sure now. I am flipping between a 70 series or a Prado now, and wanted to hear why the 90 series might make sense. For me, off roading is not really on the list. I love Toyota, and I want something fun that looks different and will make me look cool hauling my cool dogs around lol. I am mechanically inclined but not interested in a project vehicle. Thanks for your input!

the 90 series Prado wasn't sold in the US so sourcing parts won't be as easy compared to vehicles that are sold in the US.
I would get a LC200 or a LC100. next options would be the GX460 or a GX470.

Interesting. Was hoping there might be some proponents here, particularly with regard to the aforementioned 60/70 series.

Interesting. Was hoping there might be some proponents here, particularly with regard to the aforementioned 60/70 series.
I’ll take the pro side…

The 90 series is the sweet spot (right now) for drivability, reliability, parts availability, “it” factor and price.

I was in a similar spot to you last year… wanted a LC, started looking at the 60s and the 80s and got turned off by the pricing and condition of the trucks I could find. Plus, I might get kicked off ‘Mud for this, but a 80 series build is pretty me-too at this point. Hard to do something that hasn’t been done before.

So we fell down the rabbit hole of Japanese auctions. Originally started looking at 70 series - and would eventually still love one - but again condition and price were an issue. I don’t mind paying for something in great condition, but the 70 series I could find all looked a little sketchy and were still priced premium. If you’re going to import something, getting something truly weird seems necessary. The 90 series ticks that box. They’re uncommon and never sold here, and certainly scratch the “it” factor for me.

If you get a gasser, almost all the running gear is shared with the 3rd gen 4Runner. I wanted a diesel, and have run into some parts delays, but never a full availability issue. Shoot, my local Toyota dealer just ordered a new sunroof panel for me. Accessory availability is a crapshoot, but again there’s a lot of commonality with the same era of 4Runner. 95% of my parts have come from NAPA or my local Toyota dealer. Multiple sources stock suspension kits. Full disclosure some of the diesel specific parts have required shipping from Amayama or eBay sellers outside the US, but even those have been available if you can wait a couple of weeks.

Last- the 90 is a much more drivable truck at modern highway speeds vs. the 70. It’s not a Hellcat but it’ll do 80 mph with the AC on full blast all day.

Appreciate the details apexwerks. Where did you get your Prado from?

Appreciate the details apexwerks. Where did you get your Prado from?
I went through The Import Guys. Bought at auction in Japan and had it shipping into Newport News. Took about 5 months but was significantly less than Duncan.

I went through The Import Guys. Bought at auction in Japan and had it shipping into Newport News. Took about 5 months but was significantly less than Duncan.
Good to know. I'm in central Virginia so Newport News would make sense!

If you get a gasser, almost all the running gear is shared with the 3rd gen 4Runner
And if you get a diesel it will be shared with a diesel 4Runner ;)
In Europe 4runner were sold (along side the light duty 70 series) until 1995 and the 90 series replaced both in 1996.

Note that the 90 series are AWD and exist in SWB if you really want to differentiate yourself in the US.

Compared to a Station Wagon, the Prados are slimmer (less wide) and lighter.

The 2000 model 90 gasser VZJ95 is reliable and cheap to maintain.
Only issue I had was a radiator failure. Mixed coolant with auto trans. oil. Needed flushing and a new radiator . No damage to the auto transmission.
I own it since 2006 and still drive it almost every day summer and winter time.

If you're familiar with the 3rd gen 4Runner, and like it, then get a V6 90 series and be done with it. As mentioned, the 3rd gen 4Runner and the Prado are exactly the same beneath the body. Same engine, trans, TC, suspension, running gear. Parts availability will only be an issue with body parts.

If you get a short wheelbase model, they will still share most of it anyways. I've had both SWB and LWB. The LWB is increidbly spaceous and comfortable, but the SWB is incredibly fun and driveable. My SWBs were all 3RZ 4 cylinders (same as the 4cyl 4Runner) and went pretty good as long as you didn't overload her.

The only true downside I can think of for a 90/95 Prado is the dash tends to loosen up and rattles and moves like crazy. They're a pain to take apart and readjust, although there are a couple fixes on the internet.

I've owned my 1996 Prado 5 door (Long wheel base) for a little over a year now. I like that it's different, but wasn't expecting so much attention from the RHD + Land Cruiser factor. Lots of friendly waves from Land Cruiser/4Runner drivers and gawking from little kids on the highway. Somehow, I get 10x the attention in this car compared to the red 1969 Mustang I drove in high school (even when that car was occasionally running lol because it was definitely Fixed Or Repaired Daily).

Mine has the 3.4L gas V6, so the drivetrain is identical to what was sold by Toyota in the USA and is legendarily reliable. Most parts match something in the US-domestic Toyota world. One notable mechanical exception is I believe the radiator on 5-door versions that have the dual zone Air con. Also pray you don't sustain any body damage or need any glass. OEM replacements for windshield, large body panels, and bumpers especially were impossible or so insanely expensive it doesn't make sense. Recently just purchased @buggyboy7 's stock bumper after somebody damaged my Prado while parked in a parking lot and am super, super grateful. Several businesses that had bumpers, glass, etc posted online in Dubai, Europe, and Japan either flat out won't ship or you have to pay fedex oversize rates, that were in the $3000 area just for shipping. The Japanese brokers I spoke with specifically don't do glass and bumpers.

As far as comfort and daily drivability - it's modern enough to not feel like a classic car and it starts every time. Seats are decently comfortable. It isn't fast but has enough power to get by (way better than the 3.slow engine from my 1990 4Runner experience). I enjoy driving it to go camping, forest road "off roading," and ferrying around my drunk friends on weekends for the shock value, when I call it the "school bus" and open up the 3rd row. Downside here is not being able to use the drive thru - but that's not a loss for me. A little annoying when you need to enter a code for an apartment complex gate, or pulling a ticket from a parking deck machine, but worth it overall.

I've come to learn the the auto service world is about a 50/50 split between shops that get excited and want to work on something unique, while the other half of shops will chase you away because they need to have a 17-digit VIN number to enter your car into their system.

I'm also really anal about only using Ethanol-free gasoline, which right now hovers around the price of 93 octane, but during the gas price spike in June was about $1 more than 93. Finding it can be difficult within certain city limits as well. Modern engines and fuel systems are designed with the 10% ethanol mix in mind but definitely wasn't being considered in 1996.

I feel like if you're just commuting around town and riding with your pup, with no intention of family road trips/camping etc, then the short wheel base 3 door version with the 3.4L V6 would be a lot more fun. Get better gas mileage, a lot easier to park, and still spacious enough for groceries, and it might even feel fast since it's small. I had the option to buy a 3-door and ended up going with the 5-door because of my camping habit and it was lower mileage.

I should also mention that the Prado is not my daily driver, but it's nice to have as reliable backup when my Volkswagen GTI inevitably needs more service.

Last edited:
I was in the market for another cruiser about a year ago to adventure travel and modify and found the same thing, a bunch of overpriced, worn out rigs and wanted something a little more unique. I settled on a 1996 KZJ78 (Prado) I like the newer style too but fell for the solid axles on the 78. There are many cross compatible accessories within the 70 series and other land cruisers if you go this route, you will absolutely love that 1KZ-TE turbo diesel engine, quite peppy and a blast to drive around town. Most of the KZJ90's are intercooled too, that is a plus. I have found brake parts, a heater fan blower and rebuilt my alternator all at the local Napa in a small town in Wyoming without issue. I am sure there are other maintenance or repair items that would have to come from overseas. For reference, I have owned many variety land cruisers 40's, 60's etc and if I ever crash or sell this one, a JDM KZJ90 is my next rig. There is a reason why everyone that owns a 60 or 80 is swapping their drivetrain, because they are slow and miserable to drive on modern highways. The KZJ78 or KZJ90 is an excellent choice, just maybe not your only daily driver as parts delays could be problematic, really not that big of an issue though. Parts are just as hard if not harder to find for older 40's 60's and 80's. The Prados are a nice balance of retro and advanced enough to enjoy daily driving.

Last edited:
I recently sold a BJ73 to purchase a 90 series Prado. The Prado is a vastly superior highway vehicle. I also made the change because the Prado - being newer - has updated safety features and was better to haul my kids around in. The 70 series was a tank off road but most of what I drive off-road is logging trails and dried up river beds, the Prado handles everything I need it for with ease. Mine is a UK spec "colorado" version and has both the center and rear differential locker, which other similar models do not have. I am not sure how useful it is yet but for now I am much happier with the Prado as its more practical for my day to day and still very capable when it needs to be. It's my DD in Ohio.

Can you provide some more insight to what it's like to daily drive one? My wife and I considered selling her 2022 tiguan to grab a kzj78 turbo diesel. Wondering how it does on the highway (4 hour drives max and up to 80 mph).
Daily driving the 1KZTE is fine. We have an 80mph (signed at 70) that my 90 does fine on. There’s one hill where it drops to ~75mph but that’s it, and EGTs are within boundaries the whole time. It’s not a speed demon, but I don’t fret about merging on the highway.

One question - does the 78 run the same 3.0L 1KZTE the 90 does?

Daily driving the 1KZTE is fine. We have an 80mph (signed at 70) that my 90 does fine on. There’s one hill where it drops to ~75mph but that’s it, and EGTs are within boundaries the whole time. It’s not a speed demon, but I don’t fret about merging on the highway.

One question - does the 78 run the same 3.0L 1KZTE the 90 does?
@apexwerks The older Prados (1989-1993) have predecessor engines to the 1KZ-TE, you have probably heard of LJ's. They had less power and seem to be more problematic but still cool rigs. The last year or 2 (1994-1996 I believe?) of the "box Prado" 70 series looking wagons the 3.0 1KZ-TE engine was put in them hence the designation - KZJ78. With the update to the 90 series Prado, the engine remained the same, they got IFS front suspension and the intercooler started showing up on 1997+ models. I have seen some 90 series with top mount intercooler and some without. I am pretty sure Toyota used the 1KZ engine well into the late 2000's model years. It's a nice turbo diesel engine with decent power for a vehicle this size but is indirect injection, so prone to some heat and head issues if everything isn't working right to keep it cool. I have heard people talk about getting 350-450k km out of these engines before needing rebuild so if you take care of them it sounds like they can be very durable. The KZJ78's have solid axles and would be best described as having driving characteristics similar to an early 1990's 4runner. I can't speak to the improvements of the 90 series because I don't own one yet but I can only imagine it is an improvement with IFS and a refined design. IFS could be considered a pro and a con I suppose. I wanted solid axles so I went with the KZJ78

@TheEngineer The last thing I would want is for you to be disillusioned with a Prado purchase, especially comparing it to a 2022 Tiguan. While that is an entry level vehicle for the most part, I know VW's along with most German automobiles drive very nicely. It's all perspective I guess. I had a 1982 FJ45 pickup prior to my Prado purchase and so this was a major upgrade in ride quality, power and handling for an older adventure cruiser. I also own a Range Rover and newer pickups and cars and it doesn't compare to modern vehicles, but I think is a good mix of retro and modern. It isn't excessively noisy on the highway, coil suspension front/rear so the ride is pretty soft. The engine is torqey and peppy enough to accelerate with most modern cars. I have driven mine down to Moab from Wyoming with mt bikes, gear and 4 people and was pleasantly surprised with its performance if I'm honest. I was able to maintain 70-85 mph pretty easily on the freeways. Most older USA cruisers would be major road hazards trying to drive roads with any significant incline and thats without people and gear along with atrocious gas mileage. I have 33" tires and a 3" lift and estimate my mileage to be in the 16-19 mpg range. Diesel fuel is much more expensive nowdays, owning multiple diesel vehicles is an indulgance I love so I'm ok with it. If you know, you know. Drawbacks might be it is going to have a little wind noise being a tall boxy SUV and susceptible to high winds and cornering or emergency maneuvers will be on par with SUV's from this time frame (not great). My main concern about recommending one for your wife or family use is the lack of ABS, traction control or Airbags as these are significant safety feature improvements on any modern vehicle. Anything legally imported to the US has to be 1997 or older so 25 year old cars have their limitations but for the right situation they are worth considering for sure! I would say a Prado is easily daily driveable, but make sure it isn't your ONLY vehicle that you rely on exclusively. if you don't mind the RHD, which for me really wasn't that hard to get used to. If you spend excessive amounts of time on the freeway and gridlock traffic of a large city I'd be less inclined to recommend one I guess. I live in a small town, pop 3,000 and work only 10 minutes away from home so it really isn't an issue if I were to have a breakdown or waiting on parts to drive. I hope that helps!

I recently sold a BJ73 to purchase a 90 series Prado. The Prado is a vastly superior highway vehicle. I also made the change because the Prado - being newer - has updated safety features and was better to haul my kids around in. The 70 series was a tank off road but most of what I drive off-road is logging trails and dried up river beds, the Prado handles everything I need it for with ease. Mine is a UK spec "colorado" version and has both the center and rear differential locker, which other similar models do not have. I am not sure how useful it is yet but for now I am much happier with the Prado as its more practical for my day to day and still very capable when it needs to be. It's my DD in Ohio.
do you mind explaining what safety features there are on the 90 series? I'd be curious. Airbags? ABS brakes? traction control?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom