Trying to locate previous owner of 1997 40th Anniversary (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
7BBF4F05-BDAB-439E-97DC-42937DEAFBE9.jpeg
So first time posting on 80’s forum, about three years ago i our bought a 100 series even though I really wanted an 80 series. Long story short I traded the 100 series for an older Tacoma and began my search for a clean 80 series 40th anniversary. After a few years I think I finally found what I am looking for. I am in the process of purchasing this 1997 Land Cruiser 40th anniversary #2815 vin #JT3HJ85J6V0171170, it appears that it was fully restored and that is what current seller is telling me he was only owned it a few months. I am curious if anyone here recognizes or remembers this beauty. It am assuming it was restored in the area of Rancho Santa Margarita, CA around 279,000 miles. Currently the truck resides in MI and is awaiting transport to me in WY. If anyone believes they recognize the truck or could supply any information that would be awesome.

if not enjoy the pics and I can always post more

D3C61D7C-A97C-41A3-AA79-01466B4316A4.jpeg

83519C7C-E4AA-4665-A902-08ED61101173.jpeg

9317F822-B6BA-4245-8915-66368CE4B572.jpeg

E1657601-310B-4244-A31F-53F6872BB7A4.jpeg

Very nice, but don't know the previous/current owner. no rust so must not have been in WI very long.

Post up some engine bay and interior photos.

One question you want to ask is about maintenance items already completed. The head gasket is a big ticket item if it's already been replaced that's a plus.

Do you want to share the price range the seller is asking?

Have you tried to enter the VIN number in Toyota's owner online system to see where it was serviced and what was done to it ? It typically will show you where it was registered first, too - you have to sign up for an account as the owner (or pretend) with the VIN number

which is a great way to check the history on any Toyota vehicle you are considering to buy or have the VIN number of - Lexus system offers the same info on their VIN numbers, too

View attachment 3170689 So first time posting on 80’s forum, about three years ago i our bought a 100 series even though I really wanted an 80 series. Long story short I traded the 100 series for an older Tacoma and began my search for a clean 80 series 40th anniversary. After a few years I think I finally found what I am looking for. I am in the process of purchasing this 1997 Land Cruiser 40th anniversary #2815 vin #JT3HJ85J6V0171170, it appears that it was fully restored and that is what current seller is telling me he was only owned it a few months. I am curious if anyone here recognizes or remembers this beauty. It am assuming it was restored in the area of Rancho Santa Margarita, CA around 279,000 miles. Currently the truck resides in MI and is awaiting transport to me in WY. If anyone believes they recognize the truck or could supply any information that would be awesome.

if not enjoy the pics and I can always post more

View attachment 3170698

View attachment 3170703

View attachment 3170773

View attachment 3170778
"Fully restored"

I call BS. The front axle wasn't even rebuilt.

This looks like a truck that was purchased, power washed underneath, did a highly detailed cleaning on the paint and maybe interior so it looks pretty.

I still go back to "Who did the work?" and whether it was worth it.

You need to ask more questions. It looks like a nice truck but I'll bet you're paying more than you think you are.

Just make sure you're not paying for lipstick on a pig.

Get a list of parts replacement and brand during the "restoration"........

Attaching a few more pictures a lot of what I have are videos of the truck. so not a full restoration part partial restoration of some areas. What areas don’t know specifically. Hence why I am trying to track down the original owner. This is a california truck for all but this last year. This is what the service records show. I did add the vehicle and read through the work done at a Toyota dealership no clues on head gasket. I did have the vehicle inspected compression test looked great all around 180-185 psi, there was a bad valve gasket on #4 cyclinder.

asking price $30k

F2702844-B709-45D9-9BDD-745273391508.jpeg

546D1818-0D98-48D5-AA5C-1CC45232E5A0.jpeg

7E78543A-3BFE-4427-9B19-EB821698FF0C.jpeg

42777CB5-D1DB-4DE2-AD1D-5EC67917E676.jpeg

573212ED-A6CE-4C46-98C6-E3202396710B.jpeg

The 40th fender badges are not even close to being in the correct position.

The front door body side mouldings are also incorrect. The originals are plain, less the "FOUR WHEEL DRIVE" lettering.

The transmission mount is shot. I'll bet the engine mounts are also shot.
Looks like the original catalytic converters.
The original floor mats are also missing.

Based on the amount of goo that's still stuck to the bottom of the crossmember, this truck was pretty messy underneath. A few of the major leaks may have been fixed, but mostly it was polished up, had some new seat leathers installed, and made to look nice.

30K sounds like a lot unless there's some serious documentation to go with it.

You do what you want, just know that it's a resto-mod and PM work that's been done, NOT a restoration.

You are still going to encounter PM that will have to be done to this truck in order to drive it regularly.

it is also not accurate enough for it to appreciate significantly, any more so than my 96 LC.

If you want to see what a RESTORATION looks like, look through the threads by @citadel

CDan or any one Lee with more knowledge than me, can you give any insight off the VIN decal if this is even legit in any form

View attachment 3171571

That is an original label that does not appear to have been painted around or masked off. 1B2 is antique sage pearl. That color was only available on the 40th.

Based on the amount of goo that's still stuck to the bottom of the crossmember, this truck was pretty messy underneath.

Actually that's consistent with the original wax coating that applied at the factory. Dust and road dirt tended to stick to it just like that.

Actually that's consistent with the original wax coating that applied at the factory. Dust and road dirt tended to stick to it just like that.
I guess mine's just "extra waxy!"

@erniejenna23

Main advantage IMO is that it appears to be rust free.

Main disadvantage is the price.

Definitely had the undercarriaged and engine washed off.

Appears to have new FIPG between the valve cover and the top of the half moons (but not all around?) so maybe the valve cover has been replaced at some point and the half moons were left in place.

Looks like a relatively newish OEM radiator.

New hoses/hoses clamps around the heat control valve but the valve itself
doesn't look very new??

Throttle cable rubber coating is peeling, very common.

Signs of previous oil leaks (ie: check distributor and valve cover closely) so would want to know if all the usual leaks have been fixed (valve cover, distributor O-ring, oil pump cover gasket, ----).

Signifcant build up of grime around steering knuckles (already mentioned) that was not all cleaned off indicating chronic leaks. Transmission mounts do look a bit funky (magnified photo), coated in thick grime or ??

All the above IMHO/IME are what's often found on any 80 with 270,000 miles that needs catching up on it's preventive maintenence, but not one selling for $30,000.

The comment about a bad "valve seal" on #4 cylinder is the most concerning, does this mean that the valves are not sealing on one cylinder (burned valve/ valve seat)??

Would need more details: engine running rough??

Unfortunately someone will likely buy this 80 without coming to the forum for help and then end up spending $$$ to complete all the deferred maintenance.

As mentioned previously, looks like someone dolled this 80 up for a quick flip/profit.

FWIW

I have a rust free 97 in Michigan with 240k on it and just put 20k of work and mods into it....you can have it for 25k 🤦🏻‍♂️

Sorry that's not a 30k truck, it's your money though good luck with it.

Appears to have new FIPG between the valve cover and the top of the half moons (but not all around?) so maybe the valve cover has been replaced at some point and the half moons were left in place.

The sealer on the moons is definitely original.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom