Battery Light (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I looked at a Lexus lx470 which had the battery light on even after they changed the battery and the alternator. Apparently it has had some trouble starting over the past several months when the car sits for several days. Suggestions or would you pass on this vehicle. (‘01 with 180k miles and some rust underneath).

I wouldnt let an issue like that deter me, that sounds pretty simple to daignose (either Battery, alternator, or fuse box)
the rust, depending on how bad it is, would be more of a deterrent

I wouldnt let an issue like that deter me, that sounds pretty simple to daignose (either Battery, alternator, or fuse box)
the rust, depending on how bad it is, would be more of a deterrent
Understandable. Here is the best picture I have of the rust at the moment.

B7460E43-4F4E-493A-81B1-4529A4D462F2.jpeg

Initial observation indicates that the undercarriage rust is not an issue. HOWEVER, rust can hide well. Recommend "poke and hope"....that is take an ice pick and start poking. Pay special attention to areas that appear rough (I see that in the picture) and has signed of overcoating. There are spots on the frame that are particularly suseptical to rust. Mud search would help here.

Also, take a magnet and run along the body. If bondo exits, the magnet will reveal.

The battery situation is known as "parasitic draw". Tons of videos on how to diagnose.

FordTechMakuloco has excllent YouTube video on investigating parasitic draw.​

Initial observation indicates that the undercarriage rust is not an issue. HOWEVER, rust can hide well. Recommend "poke and hope"....that is take an ice pick and start poking. Pay special attention to areas that appear rough (I see that in the picture) and has signed of overcoating. There are spots on the frame that are particularly suseptical to rust. Mud search would help here.

Also, take a magnet and run along the body. If bondo exits, the magnet will reveal.

The battery situation is known as "parasitic draw". Tons of videos on how to diagnose.

FordTechMakuloco has excllent YouTube video on investigating parasitic draw.​

If there is flaking in some areas, is it possible that the previous overcoat is flaking off the frame rather than the rusted frame itself? Wish I had a picture to help explain but I don't unfortunately.

That rust isn't too bad, but just know what you're getting into. any job you do on the truck will be more difficult w/ broken bolts, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom