Slinky Stage 4 Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a JDM 80 series. It had the Slinky Stage 4 on it when I bought it. I destroyed the rear shocks wheeling and need to replace them. Are these just a standard Icon Shock or was there something custom about them just for the Australian market? If standard, anyone know which part number they are?

Thanks!

The Stage 4 shocks have an external reservoir and are rebuildable.

Contact Icon for details.
(951) 689-4266

The Stage 4 shocks have an external reservoir and are rebuildable.

Contact Icon for details.
(951) 689-4266

It wasn't a seal, I smashed them. Didn't have limiting straps on and the mounting bolt ripped right out of the shock.

It wasn't a seal, I smashed them. Didn't have limiting straps on and the mounting bolt ripped right out of the shock.
Gotcha…looking for the part number.

Here’s the installation instructions with a part number for the front of 57801P. I’ll look deeper for the original receipt.

0D2A6E75-A8BD-4825-9A0D-93F52410EB44.jpeg

Last edited:
Since I bought the stage 4 kit, the part number is for the entire kit.

Part number (kit) SS70084FR
ICON Stage 4 - 2.5 shock kit 80 series

image.jpg

Last edited:
Ok…I went down the rabbit hole on this one.

After I couldn’t find the exact shock online, I called ICON. They said the Slinky kit shocks from ICON are proprietary and a custom build. The sales people can see the Slinky part numbers, but they don’t correlate with an ICON part number. Short story is ICON couldn’t give me a solid answer or part number.

You might try talking to @boxrocket or Darren at 4XOverland. You may have to order from Australia?

Last edited:
The shocks are the limiting straps on a 80.

Please tell us what you were doing to accomplish that kind of destruction.

And some pictures please

Ok…I went down the rabbit hole on this one.

After I couldn’t find the exact shock online, I called ICON. They said the Slinky kit shocks from ICON are proprietary and a custom build. The sales people can see the Slinky part numbers, but they don’t correlate with an ICON part number. Short story is ICON couldn’t give me a solid answer or part number.

You might try talking to @boxrocket or Darren at 4XOverland. You may have to order from Australia?

Wow, thank you so much for doing all that. I had sent ICON a message but never heard anything (didn't see a phone number anywhere). The problem is I have a trip planned in 3 weeks. I might just get the ICON 2.5's for now...

Seriously thank you!

The shocks are the limiting straps on a 80.

Please tell us what you were doing to accomplish that kind of destruction.

And some pictures please

I'm not really sure which trail I did it on. The funniest part is when it ripped out the remote resi got wedged under the upper control arm so it was still semi-functioning as a shock.

index.jpg

20220731_105514.jpg

Give ICON a call. They might be able to save it for you?

ICON did say they could rebuild the shock to Slinky specs. So somehow the tech department knows what parts to install in the shock.

ICON
(951) 689-4266

Looks like the mounting post only had a few threads of engagement

Bummer about the shock breakage. The Slinky shocks are different valving setup from the standard ICON shocks, that much I know for sure. I also believe the shock body and shaft length are slightly different but I need to see if I have any of that info written down somewhere in all my stuff when I was researching the Slinky stuff.
Currently, the best way to contact Darren at 4xO is through email. I will DM you his email address and you can try contacting him that way. I'm not doing anything for 4xO anymore so I'm not much help beyond that, but happy to answer questions if you have them. I'll do my best with answers.

Thanks for the help everyone! Much appreciated!

I was able to find a pair with Endless Horizon Expedition Outfitters (he just happened to have a set left). I also found out that these can be used as well Icon 2.0 Internal Reservoir Shocks 56512 - https://www.shocksurplus.com/products/icon-2-0-internal-reservoir-shocks-56512

Also spoke with ICON and going to send the old ones back for rebuild so I have spares.

Putting limiting straps on so this doesn't happen again. Hopefully I don't have to go through this again with the fronts.

Bummer about the shock breakage. The Slinky shocks are different valving setup from the standard ICON shocks, that much I know for sure. I also believe the shock body and shaft length are slightly different but I need to see if I have any of that info written down somewhere in all my stuff when I was researching the Slinky stuff.
Currently, the best way to contact Darren at 4xO is through email. I will DM you his email address and you can try contacting him that way. I'm not doing anything for 4xO anymore so I'm not much help beyond that, but happy to answer questions if you have them. I'll do my best with answers.
When you say you arent doing anything for 4xO anymore, were you working with him Darren here stateside for a while to help get products here or??? Not sure how to read this comment exactly...

When you say you arent doing anything for 4xO anymore, were you working with him Darren here stateside for a while to help get products here or??? Not sure how to read this comment exactly...
I was assisting Darren and the past distributors with some marketing efforts. But also since I’ve been running the Slinky kit is a variety of configurations for several years I was helping Darren field tech questions here on MUD. So that meant I was in fairly regular contact with Darren and the distributors and when questions came up here on the forum I could answer them or pass those along to them and often get a quicker response than waiting for them to check forum messages etc. I could also get status updates on shipment schedules and relay some of that to customers.

These days I’m not talking with Darren much at all so I can still try to answer tech questions and the like but I’m not much help when it comes to order status etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom