Patina Appreciation: Show Us Your Rusty Land Cruiser! (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Background scenery isn’t as good…..

image.jpg

Background scenery isn’t as good…..
Are you referring to the stack of pavers or retaining wall rocks that you still haven’t put in place by wife’s orders? 😝

It is all about how rough you want the surface finish to be. How much light should it reflect? How smooth is it to the touch? Can you get beads of water to stand up with just wax?

20221128_142545.jpg

There is a good chance that this one will get a minimal coat of gloss grey enamel. It will unfortunately hide the spot welds. However, I'll sand out where I see rust cavities and highlighted areas so it doesn't appear that I painted over pitted rust. If I go even further, I bring out this purple black oxide that is natural to the material, and it looks like it should be a paint-code enamel. I'll use just a bit of rattle can so I can restore what you see above if the back of the already distressed Cruiser looks like wet paint and cheap plastic.

Something had to be done about the absence of reflectivity on the right side. After a few years of ownership, it really gets old pushing around that much distressed barn look when you are supposed to convince people that the truck is well maintained and road worthy. Keeping it from rusting that bad in the first place should have been part of the agenda.

Anyone sell just the plastic lenses?

Trying out the Fluid Film.
I’ve used Penetrol and BLO for years on aluminum travel trailers, tools etc…

CAB5DD93-0A34-44C4-ABD9-44C3D38955E5.jpeg
DE85E433-AF06-42F8-BD72-92C387125297.jpeg
E8BF56C9-2D3C-4582-82AC-352C991FE988.jpeg

Trying out the Fluid Film.
I’ve used Penetrol and BLO for years on aluminum travel trailers, tools etc…

View attachment 3249201View attachment 3249203View attachment 3249202
A very huge thanks to @wngrog for the extraordinary write up and encouragement to preserve the patina. My original hood is a work of patina art but also almost completely cheesed out along the front lip, hence the off year red job on it now. Would love to scab on the front of this one to that but there are a host of mechanical needs in line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom