Events/Trails After Thanksgiving Trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Overlandeffex

SILVER Star
Threads
Well friends I hate to go places that have tons of people, but I need to get the truck out and get dirty. We are thinking of a run starting up with a meet at Lake Henshaw resort for breakfast on Saturday morning and then head out to Anza area with some back roads. Spend the night on Saturday someplace away from the crowds and then head back late Sunday. Who's in??

Well friends I hate to go places that have tons of people, but I need to get the truck out and get dirty. We are thinking of a run starting up with a meet at Lake Henshaw resort for breakfast on Saturday morning and then head out to Anza area with some back roads. Spend the night on Saturday someplace away from the crowds and then head back late Sunday. Who's in??
Anza or Borrego ? They are 2 different locations.

Anza or Borrego ? They are 2 different locations.
That geographic area of the Anza Borrego State Park aeras.

Last edited:

Here's a guide. I was just out there two weeks ago, it was beautiful.

I'm down, I was just thinking about going out anyways. Just wanting to avoid the crowds, but there's a lot of places to get away.

@bicycleagent003 did you go to Diablo Dropoff? How was it? Still washed out from the rains or has it been smoothed out by now?

Were by chance going UP the Diablo Drop Off? Not being a Karen but things like this provide ammo for the Just Close It crew.

Yeah that was my issue with this "discovery trail". Going the wrong way up not one, but two designated one-way sections. Last time I was out at Diablo Dropoff, there were a few new routes made that I am almost positive were not legally made.

Yeah that was my issue with this "discovery trail". Going the wrong way up not one, but two designated one-way sections. Last time I was out at Diablo Dropoff, there were a few new routes made that I am almost positive were not legally made.
The bright side was there were no boulders to paint their Nom de Guerre on

I might be able to make it out there for day trip with you all. I am hoping to have the 80 back from the shop and it will need a good shake down run.

Frank

They figure out the issue??

Agree, the video timeline was a bit jumbled up for the order of travel they took, and should reduce the emphasis on going the wrong way. At least they put a note in the beginning that it should be traveled from south to north and clarified later in the video that they were incorrectly labeling the trail earlier in the video.

Either way it appears that a new trail is now being used on the diablo drop off to the west of official trail again, and fish creek and surrounding areas actually got better after the rain since the wash boards were knocked down significantly when I was out there over Halloween weekend. We camped in the fish creek wash just east of Hapaha Flats and only saw one vehicle at 4AM coming down from heart attack hill. Heading back out to Borrego Springs their were about 20 groups of people camping near the wind caves in all kinds of cars, even saw an Audi A6 quattro with street tires camping their with a Porche Cayenne. I would avoid camping at this area unless necessary.

They figure out the issue??
They did. Intake valve and seat damage on cylinder 4. The head was not rebuildable. They found some other small stuff unrelated, the 5 year old radiator was starting to seep, anyway, I am having them rebuild the whole engine since it's not much of a step up in price to do the low end. $$$. Upside is after visiting Valley Hybrids for new diffs, rebuilt front axles, rebuilt part time t-case, and with the engine the trans is the only old part left on the truck. Hopefully I can get many more good years out of it.

Frank

They did. Intake valve and seat damage on cylinder 4. The head was not rebuildable. They found some other small stuff unrelated, the 5 year old radiator was starting to seep, anyway, I am having them rebuild the whole engine since it's not much of a step up in price to do the low end. $$$. Upside is after visiting Valley Hybrids for new diffs, rebuilt front axles, rebuilt part time t-case, and with the engine the trans is the only old part left on the truck. Hopefully I can get many more good years out of it.

Frank
Sounds like dominoes.

I might go out Friday, so let me know where you were thinking about starting Saturday morning?

Rathtar's cylinder head is taking longer than expected so I am likely out unless I wanted to take the Suburban.... while that is exciting, even nerve wracking, it's the only vehicle I have running that seats all 6 of us.

Frank

Ok... So thinking of meeting at the Henshaw resort at 10 in the morning and then heading out from there. Will run club frequency on ham.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom