Poll on total brake failure in 100 series (2 Viewers)

Has your 100 series LC experienced total -or near total- brake failure?

• No.

Votes: 1,195 74.1%
  • Yes. My truck had between 0 and 50k miles at the time.

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Yes. My truck had between 50k and 100K at the time.

Votes: 13 0.8%
  • Yes. My truck had between 100K and 150k at the time.

Votes: 69 4.3%
  • Yes. My truck had between 150k and 200k at the time.

Votes: 129 8.0%
  • Yes. My truck had between 200k and 250K at the time.

Votes: 119 7.4%
  • Yes. My truck had between 250k and 300k at the time.

Votes: 68 4.2%
  • Yes, My truck had over 300k at the time.

Votes: 32 2.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

City Racer's new brake booster pump with accumulator is now available:

It should be updated to include the 03-09 GX470s as they are the same as the 100 and 4R

You can just replace the accumulator motor without having to replace the whole assembly, assuming its just the motor, which it normally is.
However, if you can hear the motor coming on, and it never stops, or takes way longer than normal to turn off, chances are its the accumulator pump or reservoir, and not the motor.

The motor is attached to the accumulator pump with two allen key bolts.
I removed the air intake filter box first to gain more access.
Disconnect the power cables by undoing the phillips screw first.
You need some long handled allen keys, the standard ones are too short to reach the two keys.

Its a bit of a PITA, but easier and faster than taking out the master cylinder, and no need to bleed the brakes afterwards.

Hello guys I have quite a different issue with my brake booster. The pump comes on about every 5-6 brake presses, and I can feel it vibrating though the brake pedal when the pump is running. But no codes, I am sure you are not supposed to feel the pump running right?

Hello guys I have quite a different issue with my brake booster. The pump comes on about every 5-6 brake presses, and I can feel it vibrating though the brake pedal when the pump is running. But no codes, I am sure you are not supposed to feel the pump running right?
Pump should come on every few times, brake pedal pressed.

If vibration felt when stationary (not driving). Could be bearings in pump or it's motor.

If vibration in pedal, is while driving. This if called brake pedal pulse. It's due to brake rotor disk, run-out exceeding limit. The hotter the brake (actively use), the more you'll feel.

Pump should come on every few times, brake pedal pressed.

If vibration felt when stationary (not driving). Could be bearings in pump or it's motor.

If vibration in pedal, is while driving. This if called brake pedal pulse. It's due to brake rotor disk, run-out exceeding limit. The hotter the brake (actively use), the more you'll feel.

Thank you for the reply, since the pump running interval is ok, so the accumulator is ok I guess. The vibration is happening only when the pump is running no matter the car is stationary or not it will vibrate as long as the pump is running. So I am sure it is not brake rotor or pads

Air in the lines can cause the pump to come on more. I replaced my brake assembly and couldn’t activate the ABS to evacuate the air. Toyota dealer was more than happy to listen to my request (activate abs in techstream) and more than happy to charge me for exactly what I already did (bleed as much air out without activation the ABS).

Bleed the brakes if you gave any doubt.

Thank you for the reply, since the pump running interval is ok, so the accumulator is ok I guess. The vibration is happening only when the pump is running no matter the car is stationary or not it will vibrate as long as the pump is running. So I am sure it is not brake rotor or pads

The pump/accumulator assembly is on rubber mounts to isolate vibration. I wonder if yours has come loose or the rubber has deteriorated and is now hitting metal to metal. Unfortunately, the mounts are at the bottom of the booster unit and probably not easy to see or access without removing it from it's location.

The pump/accumulator assembly is on rubber mounts to isolate vibration. I wonder if yours has come loose or the rubber has deteriorated and is now hitting metal to metal. Unfortunately, the mounts are at the bottom of the booster unit and probably not easy to see or access without removing it from it's location.

I will check this, thanks for the hint.

So the unit I have the bushing is a bit different from ebay ones, oem should be white bushing with small holes all around, however mine is a black one, and seems it is solid, not sure about the material busing.

So the unit I have the bushing is a bit different from ebay ones, oem should be white bushing with small holes all around, however mine is a black one, and seems it is solid, not sure about the material busing.
Rubber cushions in ring around accumulator, should not touch it.
Accumulator.JPG

I believe this is the piece he's referring to, where the motor attaches to the booster main unit.

1668691791766.png

Hey fellas,

I finally got around to replacing the entire unit with a refurbished ebay unit. Fired the rig up and nada from the accumulator motor. Anybody ever had this happen? It'sa super bummer as the ebay'er is on vacation and I am now without a vehicle.

1st buying a refurbished, master assembly w/booster. Is a bad idea. Some parts of it are not refurbish-able, and will likely fail with 24 months.

You can test booster motor, by jumping. You start by jumping at ABS unit (black box of side of master). Than jump at motor. If motor jump works, and ABS jump did not. You've a dead ABS.

Warning: Do not reversing -+, or you will cause a short.
Motor test at ABS .5mb.jpg

Motor wire 1mb.jpg

One good thing. Toyota drop prices on our Brake Master w/Booster assembly. The best deal I've seen, on them ever.

This is unheard of. As Toyota was raising all prices 1/4ly. Than in 2020, started monthly increases on most all parts.

We were having difficulty getting these, and some years master were NLA. Now we can get all years without waiting more than a day or two. I suspect they've greatly increased orders, to their supplier and not just for 100 series!

Improper Pm is number one reason for earl failures IMHO. Even most Toyota shops, much less any INDY nor do many DIY. Read what is print on the reservoir, on how to top. It's a big deal IMHO. But I suspect, use of non Toyota brake fluid has increased fail rate. Which not even Toyota dealership shops use Toyota fluid. They had to dust off cases, for me back a few years ago, when I switched to only using their bottles.

You'd think! Toyota shops, would have learned their lesson. After the 2005-07 recall on master (not land Cruiser) for seal failure. They blamed, people putting in off the shelve (non Toyota) brake fluid in reservoir.

No weep or leak anywhere, bone dry. The bleeders on all for corners even have a silicone cap on them. Didn’t touch the brake system at all since last full flush/fluid exchange on April 2021. Curious to hear your experience on your 100s if this is ab/normal.
225E6F60-1868-40A8-AEDF-2FCA5E91C52C.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom