Are these Ambulance Doors restorable? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jarhead0802

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi all

After nine (9) years of ownership and countless hours fixing the mechanicals on the FJ40,

D84C16FD-B5C0-4DD7-929A-C73A56144934_1_105_c.jpeg

I am embarking on un@ss'ing the previous owner's (PO) nonstandard type body work

tempImagefkiBZ7.png

tempImagefMOJZc.png

tempImageVV7EbJ.png
tempImage8vCZiR.png

While leaning towards removing the hardtop and going with a drop down tailgate, can the ambulance doors be restored without donor doors or dissembling the cheap bolt on tailgate from Reel Steel Cruisers?

hard to tell from the above pics.
it looks like someone has filled in the outside of the door, there should be an indent in the lower part of both doors, similar to the inside of the door.

Pull them off, blast them and see what you have to work with.

Here is what 79 rear amby doors look like for reference,in the middle of replacing my tire carrier bushings.
What is going on with that side panel? Those are round bolt heads?
1116221347 rear no carrier.jpg

hard to tell from the above pics.
it looks like someone has filled in the outside of the door, there should be an indent in the lower part of both doors, similar to the inside of the door.
The P.O. reskinned the outside indent with sheet metal on both doors. The indent (or stamp part) is long gone. The inside ident is still there.

Here is what 79 rear amby doors look like for reference,in the middle of replacing my tire carrier bushings.
What is going on with that side panel? Those are round bolt heads?
View attachment 3169771
PO used a range of fasteners to affix the quarter and rocker panels as well as widening the wheel opening to accommodate oversized tires which have since been removed.

Replacing the Frankenstein like quarter and rocker panels is on the list.

The P.O. reskinned the outside indent with sheet metal on both doors. The indent (or stamp part) is long gone. The inside ident is still there.
Ugh, I would be looking for a donor set of doors. Maybe CCOT has patch panels? (I've never looked)

Ugh, I would be looking for a donor set of doors. Maybe CCOT has patch panels? (I've never looked)

Unfortunately, neither CCOT nor SOR (or anyone else for that matter) carry ambulance door exterior patch panels.

On to Plan B - I will go with the bikini top and drop down tailgate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom