Sasquatch Expedition Campers - Smuggler (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.durangomagazine.com
I got a new trailer and figured I'd post up. It's the "Smuggler" model from Sasquatch Expedition Campers out of Silverton CO. All aluminum construction. Dry weight is about 1600 lbs witth the awning and RTT. The Smuggler | Sasquatch Expedition Campers - https://www.sasquatch-campers.com/smuggler

Ask any questions you have. I'll get some more photos posted but most of their marketing photos are of this very trailer.. Working on my modification punch list for the winter.

Right now it includes:
Solar panels and controller.
PVC Fishing Rod Storage tube.
Power supply for RTT and Awning lighting
Bike rack for the rear
Eezi-Awn shower inclosure for under RTT
Awning walls from 23Zero
Jerry Can Mounts - initial thought is on top of nose box.

Screen Shot 2022-11-13 at 7.14.11 PM.png

Last edited:
I think 23Zero makes a pretty slick shower enclosure...probably for a lot less.

I'm sure your camping season ic close to over, would love to see it setup...👏👏

I think 23Zero makes a pretty slick shower enclosure...probably for a lot less.

I'm sure your camping season ic close to over, would love to see it setup...👏👏
my Eezi-Awn opens over the shower side of the trailer. It's inside the smaller diver side cabinet. There is a 23Zero 270 degree awning on the opposite side.

I'll post a pic of the whole thing set up once I bold down the RTT. I just pulled it off my truck and set it on top for now. Playing with exact placement.

Teaser pic for now. Kitchen is teardrop style in the back. Door opens with a fridge/freezer on a shelf on the door. The tire carrier will have a fold down prep table that I've ordered and just waiting on production. Picture is with original tent it came with. I sold that to a friend as my Eezi-Awn is larger.

thumbnail_IMG_6575.jpg

Last edited:
Silverton seems like an odd place to start a mfg company, but I applaud their choice.

Does the shelf for the fridge have anything that it rides on when all is closed?

I had that conversation with them regarding location. They decided it was a great choice on the back end of the sale. What better place to take delivery of the trailer than in the middle of the states largest 4x4 trail network. Manufacturing logistics are not too bad. They get raw materials out of Montrose. The biggest part of it was simply lifestyle choice. They wanted to live in Silverton.

The fridge shelf itself does not sit on or engage anything but the door sits on a Teflon pad inside the jam to support it when closed. I do have some concern there over time. We’ll see what happens once it’s loaded up and I hit the trails. They advertise a lifetime warranty. I’m yet to read the specifics or even know if my trailer qualifies as technically I’m the 2nd owner after the raffle host.

Trying to get good shots of the camper deployed on my driveway has been hard. Between other vehicles and shadows cast by the trees. But here you go.

0457CB5C-B2D7-40AA-9CD4-4F914189DCCA.jpeg

3EA2C5AB-6B04-40AD-97D0-7C7EC4D90EB3.jpeg

2A39DC1C-B22E-451B-88CE-4329B2CC902D.jpeg

Wife has Covid so I’ve been sleeping out here a couple nights. So night shots.

9A69E89F-0CB9-4971-9931-2C9FA4A00DE9.jpeg

7333D529-65FC-416F-94BB-16F3A417ECD5.jpeg

I'll be interested to hear your long term appraisal of the independent suspension.

As well thought out as the rest of the trailer seems to be I'm a bit surprised at this, but I suspect that the battery might want some cleats at each end to keep it from sliding back and forth. Looks a bit like an after thought.

Thanks to Cyber Monday a 200w suitcase style solar panel has been sourced. As well as a solar controller. Wiring supplies were not on sale so I’ll source those later and write a post on the controller install at that time. When not in use I’ll store the panels in the main cargo compartment.

629AE877-E30C-415F-8F36-C52B04340B6C.jpeg

E867D1E7-2F98-448A-9260-793AF531ED04.jpeg

18A7E778-4E10-404A-B386-C716F11404DE.jpeg

Last edited:
I suspect that the battery might want some cleats at each end to keep it from sliding back and forth. Looks a bit like an after thought.

You are the 2nd one to comment on that. It feels very well secured as is with some rubber pads under the battery and strap but some additional stabilization can’t hurt. I’ll do that over the winter. Sasquatch has even offered to handle that for me.

Last edited:
Took a trip up to Silverton over the weekend. Sasquatch asked to put my trailer on display at the SkiJoring event. While it was there I had the stainless steel fold down prep table upgrade installed.

This is the furthest I’ve towed it to date and it rode like a dream. 3 passes between here and Silverton. Wits End turbo gave me plenty of power. Trailer was just as stable and smooth as the 80 at speed.

FAEDFF62-26A8-4E48-B174-37E420D79BD3.jpeg

Deployed

7341DA4F-4DFA-49E6-9522-2B8D23E08F6B.jpeg

Folded for transport

2AA7994E-D06D-48D6-92A0-25FABCE1F2A1.jpeg

Cam lock latch secures it agains a small rubber pad

39AAA067-7DF3-452A-8E2F-55C7831757FB.jpeg

Swing arm closed

E8093CF2-20F6-4F62-852C-21D7147C19B4.jpeg

Up on Molas Pass.

Bike rack sourced. 1Up HD model. Nothing to add, everyone who owns bikes knows what it is. Only downside is that it will not fold into the full vertical storage position. It contacts the spare tire. If the Sasquatch receiver was 1-2” longer that issue would be resolved along with making installation easier. The rack contacts the spare but I can get the receiver locking pin in.

9BF496EF-07AC-4759-81B2-EF9892E22386.jpeg

1BF7CD27-21C4-4858-8AF4-A11D1EBE3C74.jpeg

3363B08C-4BAA-4EB2-A169-D8A20117BA72.jpeg

Drill a new hole for the hitch pin in the rack?

Could but then the probably wouldn’t engage the receiver enough. The aluminum swingout has a steel receiver sleeve inside the aluminum square tube. I think I’ll pull that out and source a longer sleeve to extend it out a little. Then drill two new holes. One to secure the sleeve and one for the hitch pin that holds the rack.

I guessed that it couldn't be simple, I just have no experience with those racks so no idea how complex it might be.

If you needed a lot more then a hitch extender could be used, but even the shortest of those is going to push the rack way out there!

Man that thing is super sexy! How high is the 270 awning off the ground? Enough head room to use the galley without bending over?

Man that thing is super sexy! How high is the 270 awning off the ground? Enough head room to use the galley without bending over?
I'm 6'0" tall with Zero issues. The bottom of the awning cover/bag is 75" to the ground. Actual awning fabric is probably 4" higher than that. My trailer has 33's. I've been told 35's fit if you wanted to push the height. But unless it's parked on really uneven ground I don't ever foresee an issue. You could always park the trailer on some rocks to gain height but then the drop down feet may not be long enough or need similar "stilts".

About the only issue I've found with the height and no fault on the trailer is that my RTT ladder hits at the end of an adjustment position where I have a near vertical or too much angle at this height. That is just blind luck.

I'm 6'0" tall with Zero issues. The bottom of the awning cover/bag is 75" to the ground. Actual awning fabric is probably 4" higher than that. My trailer has 33's. I've been told 35's fit if you wanted to push the height. But unless it's parked on really uneven ground I don't ever foresee an issue. You could always park the trailer on some rocks to gain height but then the drop down feet may not be long enough or need similar "stilts".

About the only issue I've found with the height and no fault on the trailer is that my RTT ladder hits at the end of an adjustment position where I have a near vertical or too much angle at this height. That is just blind luck.

That’s awesome. Looked a bit low from the pictures. If only I could justify that cost for one 😩

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom