What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (31 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

...will operate winches, generators, compressors, bench saws, pumps, etc. for multitudes of operations.
1668549753079.jpeg

Oh nice! I have been hiking there many times. I live all the way out on the coast. On Ocracoke Island. But its always good to see fellow north carolinians on Mud.
It is some of the best hiking in the state. I actually plan on making a outer banks trip this spring or summer in the FJ40 going from Kitty Hawk down to Cape Lookout. If you have any recommendations on where to camp or good places to eat I'll gladly take them.

I especially like the monster rear winch option.... not just for the king sized winch but also for the Gifu conversion half cab :)

You need this type of winch when you have to fix all the power lines that Godzilla takes out on his typical rampage :meh:

rear pto winch.jpg

829d8439872372ab51386366e6394613.jpg

...will operate winches, generators, compressors, bench saws, pumps, etc. for multitudes of operations.
View attachment 3168976

View attachment 3169382
What could possibly go wrong.

View attachment 3169381
Could be handy.

It is some of the best hiking in the state. I actually plan on making a outer banks trip this spring or summer in the FJ40 going from Kitty Hawk down to Cape Lookout. If you have any recommendations on where to camp or good places to eat I'll gladly take them.
Yeah I can tell you a couple of good spots. If you get down to Ocracoke let me know and we can meet up! I always recommend the National park service camp grounds they are usually really close to the beach (just behind the dunes). I know a couple of good places to eat for sure. when you are getting close to making your trip let me know and Ill send some info your way.

When we lived in Alexandria a few centuries ago (kid then) we’d vacation out on Nags Head, in cabins on the beach. Only other things around were the Jennette’s pier and Wright Brother’s memorial at Kitty Hawk. Took a trip back there about 20 years ago and I can’t believe the development, hardly an inch of open space left. Nearly drove past Wright Brothers entrance, it used to be out in the middle of nowhere in the Kill Devil hills, now it’s surrounded by… everything 😣.

When we lived in Alexandria a few centuries ago (kid then) we’d vacation out on Nags Head, in cabins on the beach. Only other things around were the Jennette’s pier and Wright Brother’s memorial at Kitty Hawk. Took a trip back there about 20 years ago and I can’t believe the development, hardly an inch of open space left. Nearly drove past Wright Brothers entrance, it used to be out in the middle of nowhere in the Kill Devil hills, now it’s surrounded by… everything 😣.
Ocracoke is still very much like it was 20 maybe even 40 years ago. KDH and Nags Head have been majorly developed. Buxton and Avon still have some of the old charm left too.

PTO for splitting wood, fire equipment? I've never heard of a winch on the rear bumper?

JDM has had Land Cruiser fire trucks back to the FJ2X series. They had a snorkel that would be dropped on a pond or other water source and used a PTO driven pump to pump water thru a fire hose.

Picture of a saw blade to cut wood logs is scary to say the least. Besides the lack of any blade guard with a free standing base not secured to the Cruiser and lack of mass is just asking for trouble.

Ocracoke is still very much like it was 20 maybe even 40 years ago. KDH and Nags Head have been majorly developed. Buxton and Avon still have some of the old charm left too.
I was station at Hatteras Inlet back in 84-87. Ocracoke is pretty much the same as it was back then. When I was in Hatteras, there was not much there nor in Buxton. No franchise business types back then. Local Mom and Pop type stores . Only Hospital was in Elizabeth City. Times have changed a little since then. Family has a couple places up in Kitty Hawk and Kill Devil Hills.
Ocrakoke is the loan hold out! I hope it never changes and with the Park Service owning the northern section it shouldn't.
If you are in Kill Devil Hills or close by hit up Two Roads Tavern. Small place but very good food. 5.5 milepost. Sea Village Shops.
Bunch of other good places there in that area also.

I especially like the monster rear winch option.... not just for the king sized winch but also for the Gifu conversion half cab :)

You need this type of winch when you have to fix all the power lines that Godzilla takes out on his typical rampage :meh:

View attachment 3169794

View attachment 3169801

With a purposeful grimace and a terrible sound
he pulls the spitting high tension wires down.

Helpless people on subway trains
scream bugeyed as he looks in on them.

He picks up a bus and he throws it back down
as he wades through the buildings through the center of town.

Oh no, they say he’s got to go,
Go,go Godzilla….🦎 😎

I just bought/received my 1971 FJ40 about two weeks ago. So, far I have replaced the tires (BFG KO2 33 10.5 R15), the old ones still had a lot of tread but were very hard due to the 10 year age, replaced the oil, oil filter, air filter (the oil was black as coal and the data tag indicates it was last changed in Dec 2016), the amp meter needle is constantly moving from negative to positive and the voltmeter and the headlights seem to agree, so to begin the search for the electrical problem I have removed (a lot of) most of the electrical tape loom in the engine compartment, it seems like miles of electrical tape were used, still more electrical tape loom to remove, I'm replacing the electrical tape with spiral cable wrap for now, until I figure out where all the wires are going and if there are any frays or breaks, replaced the rear hatch locking mechanism and added on a modification to improve the lockability, lubed (this FJ40 hasn't seen lube in many years) all parts that move (hinges, pedals, carb, window mech., etc), still left to do is to figure out the surging electrical system and removal of the miles of electrical tape loom, the braking issue where after the FJ40 has been sitting an hour or two the brakes pull violently to the left and lock up on first application and are quite mushy until lockup, this continues for about ten times as the pedal comes up, and then they operate well, weather stripping is completely loose to floppy in many spots, the diff's and trans need the oil replaced. BUT, the engine runs well and the FJ40 is fun to drive around town. All these issues noted above are fixable and will be soon. Keep driving and smiling

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom