Builds Saved from scrap - '97 LX450 build thread (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Since I never shared the comedy gold pictures of the first time I had this challenge when I was on the WABDR:

I drove 4 of 6 sections of the BRD with my hood open in an effort to reduce overall engine bay temps and let more air down the transmission tunnel. Actually worked pretty well. It's why I decided on hood louvers as a permanent fix.
View attachment 3168612

A Wavian fuel can fits perfectly in a bus tub full of ice. Figured cooling the fuel ass much as possible before adding would reduce the overall temp in the tank and extend the time I had before the next shutdown. Had some interesting looks doing this on the side of the road.
View attachment 3168613

@Pascoscout Thanks for putting up with me on the trip! It was exciting, but frequently for the wrong reasons. :flush:
I added louvers before moving the filter and whatnot, helped some. Once I moved the filter I drove it for a few days and than put it on a trailer and went to the Rubicon. Did the entire trail w/ the hood popped "just in case". Figured anything would help.
70.jpg

Last edited:
I added louvers before moving the filter and whatnot, helped some. Once I moved the filter I drove it for a few days and than put it on a trailer and went to the Rubicon. Did the entire trail w/ the hood pooped "just in case". Figured anything would help.
View attachment 3168749
I'm strongly pondering a Rubicon run next year, assuming I get my to-do list on the truck complete.

The only time I have had this happen is shooting across Texas/Arkansas in August running 80-85mph for the entire day.

I didn’t notice the issue was even occurring until I got off the interstate to refuel. Was running kinda funny and I could hear it bubbling when I shut the truck off.

My lines are AN from tank to rail (along the stock route) with a canister style fuel filter under driver seat area.
I've actually had no issues at highway speed. Been on a couple of long trips in the high 90 - 95F range and I haven't heard boiling when I refuel. I assumed there was enough airflow down the tunnel to keep everything a little cooler. I've noticed that when I have challenges wheeling coincides with the "Toyota rust proofing" melting off the shield at the front of my tank, which only happens when I'm on the trail moving much more slowly.

I've actually had no issues at highway speed. Been on a couple of long trips in the high 90 - 95F range and I haven't heard boiling when I refuel. I assumed there was enough airflow down the tunnel to keep everything a little cooler. I've noticed that when I have challenges wheeling coincides with the "Toyota rust proofing" melting off the shield at the front of my tank, which only happens when I'm on the trail moving much more slowly.
Ha! I have noticed that too.

I'm strongly pondering a Rubicon run next year, assuming I get my to-do list on the truck complete.
I strongly suggest you do. It was great.
We are headed back next summer (2023) and we hope to do Fordyce as well. All depends on how the creek is flowing.
We don’t have dates nailed down yet but I’ll let you know once we do.

We are headed back next summer (2023) and we hope to do Fordyce as well. All depends on how the creek is flowing.
Awesome! Would definitely be interested.

I'll bring my IR thermometer so we can take the temperature of everything along the way :cool:

Last edited:
Fordyce is right up there as my best trip ever can’t wait to go back.
Take’s a well built Reg and a willingness
to risk body damage.

Fordyce is right up there as my best trip ever can’t wait to go back.
Take’s a well built Reg and a willingness
to risk body damage.
We wheeled together in Moab. I was the gunner on "The Pickle".
I'm lacking some RCV's (winter project) for the rear and that's about it. I'm ready (I think) for some Fordyce action.

I've noticed that. One person has an issue and suddenly everyone has to check for a problem they've never even heard of.
OCD Bingo is a real thing.

@ajordan1975 It's good to see full cladding out on the trail. I've just fallen into the flare/de-flare debate with myself.

@ajordan1975 It's good to see full cladding out on the trail. I've just fallen into the flare/de-flare debate with myself.
That will most likely change if he runs Fordyce next year 😝 gets real tight in there !

I’m missing the passenger rear over the tire and the pieces that are where the 4x4labs bumper side protection is.
Thing is i’m lazy and don’t want to mess w/ all the holes so they will stay till more break off.

Last edited:
I have a sneaking suspicion I'll have to de-flare at some point based on inevitable trail damage and the plastic being both old and brittle and NLA.

Not looking forward to it.

I have a sneaking suspicion I'll have to de-flare at some point based on inevitable trail damage and the plastic being both old and brittle and NLA.

Not looking forward to it.
same here.

If you could do it all over again, would you guys who went with 37s go to 35s?
It's the other way around, Guys start with 35s then go to 37s and beyond !

37s are the sweet spot for a 80 !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom