Weather stripping info (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Blackknight1

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello everyone,
I am a bit frustrated by this. I finished restoring my 78 fj40 and got to weather stripping the doors. Imust have taken althea doors off 3 times.... cleaned everything well and used that 3M black weather strip glue but they just will not stay on. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong . This is really getting me tired. Thanks in advance !

IMG-20221109-WA0187.jpeg

IMG-20221109-WA0189.jpeg

I was just reading about this yesterday. This is a great thread: Help, I'm in FJ40 door weatherstrip replacement hell - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/help-im-in-fj40-door-weatherstrip-replacement-hell.1191240/

After reading through all of it, I think there are a few major takeaways:

1. Be sure to clean the weatherstripping with denatured alcohol. Apparently some weatherstripping has an anti-fungal treatment that does not play well with the adhesives until it's removed.
2. Most new weatherstripping is EDPM rubber, which bonds well with 3M 8011 weatherstrip cement, but not many of the others, including the 3M "Super" weatherstrip adhesive. Make sure it's 8011 or it will come off.
3. Less is more - the youtube video posted above shows this concept very well.
4. It sounds like people have had success and a lot easier time using 3M VHB Tape 5952. But, you need to use a 3M primer made for the tape, or the strength is lessened. The tape is also a lot more expensive than the glue method.

in Haiti it might be too humid to get a good cure? Try a blow dryer (short sections) maybe to get it good and tacky? this will require at least 4 hands.

i just did this with the 3m black wx strip adhesive and the tube says:
-use sparingly. I kinda smeared it to a thin film. Make sure you have the correct contact surface, it can be confusing where it actually bonds
- apply both sides
- clean both surfaces ( I would use acetone if I were you. Only thing I know of that gets stuff totally clean-usually)
- wait until tacky to attach ; it was ready for me in like 3 minutes
-press firmly to ensure it sticks; press out air bubbles, use clothes pins if need-be. Dont shut door it will move it too much

to confirm, no this is not a fun job, and yes it will frustrate you. Just wait until the doors don't shut right when its on. o_O:bang:

I had the same trouble as many have had with the black sealant / cement not working. The glue loved to stick to the doors but the weatherstripping - not so much. I peeled all the stripping off and removed as much as the old black cement as possible. Next, based on advice from others here on Mud, I used super glue and activator. I started by wiping the weatherstripping with denatured alcohol to get it clean / prepped. Next, I placed glue on the rubber a few inches at a time, sprayed the activator on the door and then pressed the two together. Held for a few seconds and repeated. It only took a few minutes for each door. The results were great and nothing has come loose since.

Here's a link to the glue and activator on Amazon:
Amazon product ASIN B07Y6HG8B6
If you run out of glue, the activator will work with any tube of CA glue

I had the same trouble as many have had with the black sealant / cement not working. The glue loved to stick to the doors but the weatherstripping - not so much. I peeled all the stripping off and removed as much as the old black cement as possible. Next, based on advice from others here on Mud, I used super glue and activator. I started by wiping the weatherstripping with denatured alcohol to get it clean / prepped. Next, I placed glue on the rubber a few inches at a time, sprayed the activator on the door and then pressed the two together. Held for a few seconds and repeated. It only took a few minutes for each door. The results were great and nothing has come loose since.

Here's a link to the glue and activator on Amazon:
Amazon product ASIN B07Y6HG8B6
If you run out of glue, the activator will work with any tube of CA glue
Thank you very much ! I am buying this now.

in Haiti it might be too humid to get a good cure? Try a blow dryer (short sections) maybe to get it good and tacky? this will require at least 4 hands.

i just did this with the 3m black wx strip adhesive and the tube says:
-use sparingly. I kinda smeared it to a thin film. Make sure you have the correct contact surface, it can be confusing where it actually bonds
- apply both sides
- clean both surfaces ( I would use acetone if I were you. Only thing I know of that gets stuff totally clean-usually)
- wait until tacky to attach ; it was ready for me in like 3 minutes
-press firmly to ensure it sticks; press out air bubbles, use clothes pins if need-be. Dont shut door it will move it too much

to confirm, no this is not a fun job, and yes it will frustrate you. Just wait until the doors don't shut right when its on. o_O:bang:
Thank you !

Aftermarket.
I got my aftermarket WS from CityRacer and had zero luck with any of the 3M stuff. I ended up using this and it has held up really well. There is a channel on youtube called the40channel and he shows how he did it using a similar product. Good luck, weatherstripping sucks no matter what you use...

Amazon product ASIN B002N507I0

I got my aftermarket WS from CityRacer and had zero luck with any of the 3M stuff. I ended up using this and it has held up really well. There is a channel on youtube called the40channel and he shows how he did it using a similar product. Good luck, weatherstripping sucks no matter what you use...

Amazon product ASIN B002N507I0
Thank you ! I'll keep you guys posted on how things turned out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom