Builds 1988 BJ74 “Number 1” (13 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

More travels and a few more pictures.
Heading over the canyon again back home.

46359598-FDA9-467E-BF85-9E7A27947FA1.jpeg

1F55BE56-A4A7-4F1E-B4FC-5460CD72C303.jpeg

B0EA93F8-DB09-4195-86EB-ED73781A52D4.jpeg

0058EADD-B3CF-4649-B410-0AD4B2B221ED.gif

Had an oil leak. I always watch under my cruiser to make sure nothing leaking/dripping etc. i noticed some oil underneath yesterday that wasn’t my slight I put shaft drip.

Climb under, clean it off seems around filter but that whole area, possibly even turbo drain.
Drove a quick bit and found out it’s the oil cooler bolt. Took it out and put sealant on it and going to test drive it. Hopefully that fixes it.

My 25 year old arb line cracked on the front locker right at the connector. It’s Probabaly time to change that up to the newer style or find a splice kit.

How are people upgrading or working with the older arb blue lines.

Edit: my picture didn’t show up.

A44B8E11-BDB3-48E1-9519-CA31C14CE15B.jpeg

Last edited:
Just a proof of concept here. Routing my crank case vent to atmosphere down by the a/c. I plan on getting a better hose setup. I was just venting under the hood and only very minimal oil residue ever since I swapped turbos. I guess that’s a good sign!

7E77A862-D248-4ED5-9E41-6BF7A81A5743.jpeg

3D269C0B-054A-42B3-AB4E-97E6F7ADBA35.jpeg

Not much to report. Busy coaching basketball season. I need to get that hard top on soon, it’s getting chilly and that FRP really helps keep the heat in.

We’ve been below freezing most nights for the past couple weeks, and my cold weather starter issue has come back. Not sure if it’s a ground or what, but the colder it gets below freezing, I get a pause of 1 to 2 seconds after turning the key before the starter engages. No noises or anything, just nothing.

It was mid 20s last night and it had sat for a couple days but the glow screen only came on for about 4 seconds. In contrast, my 98 jetta will glow for 15 seconds in the same temp.

Not sure if I need to get my starter checked/rebuilt or if my batteries just aren’t that great.

B0A4319B-0D01-4581-A59B-AEB220ACD519.jpeg

Bet its the starter contacts. Our 80 does the same thing. I take them out and clean them, or replace them every few years...or I just wait the few seconds.

Bet its the starter contacts. Our 80 does the same thing. I take them out and clean them, or replace them every few years...or I just wait the few seconds.
I remember doing that with all my 80s but I always remembered the click. I don’t hear any clicking or anything just the pause. I should just pull it and take a look.

It’s possible my battery isn’t handling the load in cold, I should swap my second battery and clean connections. Just interesting it’s only in the cold.

I think it would be worth looking at dem contacts.

And possibly getting the battery tested. I just put a new battery in the LX. It was down to about 300 CCA. New spec is >900.

I think it would be worth looking at dem contacts.

And possibly getting the battery tested. I just put a new battery in the LX. It was down to about 300 CCA. New spec is >900.
Yeah this battery is about 2 years old and a Walmart everstart maxx or something. I haven’t been impressed yet. It is the replacement. The first one lasted less than 2 years.

My secondary battery is an old optima red top but it’s still chugging. Not a fan of those but so far it’s good. It was on vehicle we got so I swapped it.
I might swap it just to see if cranks any better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom