need help adjusting carb (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you decide you just don’t want to F around with points and dwell any more, these are very popular. Third one this month
20E4035A-6F6A-41C7-BB74-1E84D8C4D3A0.jpeg
I think @Rigger is on track for one of these too. ;)

Last edited:
Vacuum is at 17 inches, but the needle bounces alot, up to an inch up/down. Gauge plugged into booster hose from manifold.

Will post results of dipstick sniff test......

65- i will contact you re: dizzy

Thanks to everyone for their ideas/guidance/suggestions.

My coolant overflow bottle is always empty. I thought that was normal.

Gasoline in my oil.......sniffed the dipstick this morning. That dont sound right.

Who took over for cdan? He was my go to guy for oem parts that my local dealer would hold hostage.

How many bananas is a fuel pump change? Any other items while Im in there?

Mech fuel pump.
Oil change plus filter.
Might as well change fuel filters while Im in the vicinity.
Plugs and wires.
Cap n rotor.

I have all those parts in stock.

Gasoline in my oil.......sniffed the dipstick this morning. That dont sound right.

Who took over for cdan? He was my go to guy for oem parts that my local dealer would hold hostage.

Mech fuel pump.
Oil change plus filter.
Might as well change fuel filters while Im in the vicinity.
Plugs and wires.
Cap n rotor.
And while you’re changing fuel filter...you might as well change out any soft fuel lines.

And while you’re changing fuel filter...you might as well change out any soft fuel lines.

That’s a really good call. :)I’ve had more than one customer get a freshly rebuilt carb messed up from grunge coming off of a deteriorating old hose.

Fuel pump changeout is easy peasy. Only slightly tricky part is getting the right pump-if I recall there are different spacer thicknesses, etc. If you get it from Mark, you’ll be good to go.

image.jpeg
Changed out fuel pump, fuel filter and housing, cap n rotor, wires, oil 15/40 delo, oil filter. Ran okay with alot of smoke for about 15 minutes, then less smoky. I will change the plugs now that the oil has been burned out. Fuel lines were replaced when I cleaned the tank a few years ago. I got a new filter and housing from marks off road, but I like the original glass bowl. Can i just put the paper filter and spring in the old housing ?

Still hesitating upon acceleration from dead stop. Assume vacuum leak. Going to spray carb cleaner on manifolds and investigate.

Still smoking, though not nearly as bad. Will attempt to fine tune carb, set timing, adjust valves, not necessarily in that order.....

Will report back.

Changed plugs, pulled choke, started up. Let her warm up for 2-3 minutes.
Smoking. Alot. push in choke. Fire alarm going off, dogs barking, neighbors getting worried. Call fire dept, cancel them. Call alarm company, cancel them.
idling at 600.
Using my idle speed screw, adjust to 650.
Screw in brass fuel mixture screw all the way, engine won't die. All the way in idle is at 500, smoke disipates, but still smoking.
Vacuum at 17 hg.
BB just below pointer.
Still hesitating.
Back out fuel mix screw 2 x
More smoke, idle at 600.
Vac at 16 hg.
Check timing. BB just below pointer.
Do I concentrate on finding the elusive vacuum leak? Or Chase the smoke issue?

Been quite a journey. Eventually tuned the carb, timed, adjusted valves, then found gas in oil, fixed with new fuel pump, then crazy spy hunter smoke from tail pipe so... Refreshed the F with new rings, seals, gaskets, etc., twice because I'm an idjit...lol...2022 heading into 23, got her back together, and running.

My main issue is the gas leaking from the shaft at carb base.
image1.jpeg
image0.jpeg

Idles well at 600 rpm, 18 inches of vacuum. Timing is advanced, I think, BB is below the window, seems happiest there. I think I read another thread where someone suggested grease on the shaft, but wouldn't the gasoline thin through that?

The throttle shaft joint is not very tight, so a little vacuum leak or gas leak is not unusual.
That said, you should not have gasoline dropping on the throttle butterfly at idle. At normal idle, the gasoline should be going through the idle circuit and entering below the throttle butterfly. Three things to look at. 1. When you adjust the idle mixture screw, does that affect the idle? If not, your idle circuit is not doing its job. 2. If you disconnect the idle solenoid wire, does the engine stop? It should. 3. If you look down the throat of the carb at idle, is there gas dripping on the throttle butterfly?

1. Idle mix screw will affect only if its almost all the way in, around 1.5 to 0. Right now set at 2 turns out.

2. Solenoid is working. Disconnect black wire, engine dies.

3. No gas at idle, that pic was taken after adjusting my throttle cable, working the pump to get that little barrel end into the linkage. I noticed a vacuum leak there prior, and carb cleaner after spraying into idle solenoid circuit.

If that's acceptable, I will carry on, booster leak and suspension are next. Thanks edwjmcgrath!

1. Idle mix screw will affect only if its almost all the way in, around 1.5 to 0. Right now set at 2 turns out.

2. Solenoid is working. Disconnect black wire, engine dies.

3. No gas at idle, that pic was taken after adjusting my throttle cable, working the pump to get that little barrel end into the linkage. I noticed a vacuum leak there prior, and carb cleaner after spraying into idle solenoid circuit.

If that's acceptable, I will carry on, booster leak and suspension are next. Thanks edwjmcgrath!
You’re fine. Go find something else to worry about! ;)

There isn’t supposed to be any liquid gas at the primary throttle plate to leak out. The reason that there is a “leak” may be because of a manifold vacuum leak or primary fuel circuit clog so you had to adjust the idle speed screw to draw fuel out of the main nozzle at idle. Take the air cleaner off and look for fuel dribbling out of the nozzle at idle. If so, this is Evidence of an idle fuel problem.

There was a leak at the gasket just above the nozzle. No fuel from the nozzle, jet, spray or otherwise. Clogged. Instead the fuel would dribble/gush from the gasket where the two plates meet. Took apart the carb (thanks to your YouTube vids, which are awesome btw!) dipped, cleaned, blew, reassembled with new gaskets. Runs really good, I will try taking off the Air cleaner and peeking down there, if it dribbles at idle i will remove the solenoid and try blowing air through.

No dribbling at idle and the leak at the throttle shaft seems to have disappeared, even if I work the throttle and flood the carb.
Engine idles great but I'm having some stumbling, popping and hesitation on acceleration, trying to figure this out before I go crazy. I took off the idle cut solenoid and tested its operation, it moves in when grounded, but not much, 5\16 of an inch. I can push it further with my finger, just wondering what is required for proper operation. I heard mention of an o-ring on the solenoid, is that a thing?

I got new filter element for my glass fuel filter, put that in, fuel looks clean and clear.
Fuel window on carb is at half way.
No vacuum leak that I can find.
Valves are adjusted.
Timing is set for best vacuum, 18 inches with BB at bottom of window.

Are you getting a good solid squirt from your accelerator pump when you step on the accelerator? A weak flow would cause the symptoms you describe.

/\/\/\

Getting a good squirt. I will try to get a pic or video.

I also tried jumping the coil straight to the battery, that didn't change anything, then I swapped in another coil ( not new), no change. Everything went back to original.
Removed the jets, cleaned them with a small wire and reinstalled. No change.
Removed plugs, black, but dry, cleaned and gapped ( they were all very close 0.86 mm) and reinstalled. No change.

Right now, I have the idle solenoid out, I was planning on carb spray, then compressed air, before my wife derailed me. Will start with that first thing in the morning.

EDIT. I was in the garage trying to capture a pic of the spray and I noticed it looks like something stuck in there....sprays out in three directions. I will report back after a thorough carb cleaning a la pinheads videos.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom