What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (105 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Please take pics of this area after the gasket and glass is pulled so I can get an idea what to expect on mine, as mine looks just like this.

Just spoke with the shop...the rust was minimal and they were able to replace the gasket without any issue.

Pics coming as soon as I pick her up.

Put it to work.

20221114_120248.jpg
20221114_120816.jpg
20221114_121008.jpg
20221114_132026.jpg
20221114_131958.jpg

My favorite tire!!!!

Yeah seems like everybody loves this tire. My Mud Grapplers have done great off road, but they are terrible for pavement. And they're going on 9yrs old so it's time for a new set. Nice to see more 38/17 sizes as I wasn't really impressed with what I read about the Milestars.

Yeah seems like everybody loves this tire. My Mud Grapplers have done great off road, but they are terrible for pavement. And they're going on 9yrs old so it's time for a new set. Nice to see more 38/17 sizes as I wasn't really impressed with what I read about the Milestars.

I am on my 3rd set. They last long and they are bomb proof. They are such a strong tire and I have never had a flat on one.

Please take pics of this area after the gasket and glass is pulled so I can get an idea what to expect on mine, as mine looks just like this.
Ok! For you and COYS - here you go!

They said the rust wasn't "too bad" and didn't need to add any filler or do anything special...it was "just enough" to apparently allow water to seep through. They said the new OEM gasket will prevent any leakage and gave a lifetime warranty on it, provided I keep the LC.

I asked him about the gasket and glass. He confirmed, again, that it wasn't OEM glass and the gasket was decidedly CHEAP (but wouldn't give me the brand name), and he was surprised it stopped any water at all. In looking at the new gasket being installed...it looks leaps and bounds better (It's OEM).

If you need to replace it, the OEM Part number (For US models) is: 56121-60100 and is currently $79 (plus shipping)

I'll probably write up a post about this tonight or tomorrow sometime.

(Pardon the PS seat mess)

20221114_080314.jpg

20221114_080320.jpg

20221114_080324.jpg

Last edited:

They said the rust wasn't "too bad" and didn't need to add any filler or do anything special...it was "just enough" to apparently allow water to seep through. They said the new OEM gasket will prevent any leakage and gave a lifetime warranty on it, provided I keep the LC.

I asked him about the gasket and glass. He confirmed, again, that it wasn't OEM glass and the gasket was decidedly CHEAP (but wouldn't give me the brand name), and he was surprised it stopped any water at all. In looking at the new gasket being installed...it looks leaps and bounds better (It's OEM).

If you need to replace it, the OEM Part number (For US models) is: 56121-60100 and is currently $79 (plus shipping)

View attachment 3168155

View attachment 3168156

View attachment 3168157
Thank you so much!

I've been freaking out because my glass is cracked and I know it was replaced before with cheap materials and I'm sure they scratched the paint causing that rust issue. I've been worried about opening it up to rusty cheesecloth under there.

Epic 4.5 day trip through Anza Borrego, Bradshaw Trail and Joshua Tree, almost added a little Death Valley detour, but had to get the kids back to school.
The old girl just ticked over 226KM, no drama on the trails, just awesomeness out there. Nailed the weather. 75 day / 45 at night. Couldn't ask for more!
It had just rained so the trails we're so dusty and bloom was popping up in a few places.
Best camp site was way up in the Hills of the Moon...hard to pick the best trail, we hit so many washes, canyons and dropoffs.

rig note: Added a 27F Duralast platinum EFB the day before we left, and so far super impressed. Ran fridge, accessories, camp lighting (4pm - 9a everday) never dropped below 12.6v My old 24F duralast AGM (5 years) was just not taking a charge well anymore...Alternator and Starter tested perfectly.
1668472974952.png

1668471965700.png

1668471850862.png

1668471822942.png

1668471789421.png

View attachment 3168155

View attachment 3168156

View attachment 3168157
You didn't put the glass back on without doing something about that rust did you???!!!!!! 😩😳

The glass shop took care of it 👍

So they cut the rust out and welded in new steel? Maybe my eyes are bad this morning but that is what I see it needed.

Cheers

So they cut the rust out and welded in new steel? Maybe my eyes are bad this morning but that is what I see it needed.

Cheers
They are sending me a write up on what they actually did to remove/take care of :)

This weekend I dropped my 80 series off at the shop to have all of the hoses/cooler on the power steering repaired, and have an exhaust leak that seems to be occurring at the manifold repaired. I'm thinking of adding headers, but I'm not sure how much effort is required to remove the PaIR and EGR plumbing.

Cheers

Not everyone can afford to spend $50,000.00 on a full restoration.

If that rig were mine I would have the glass shop buff all the rust with a wire wheel, treat with primer, and install the new glass. Than I would keep using it.

As long as the windshield doesn't leak for another 5 years why does it matter? Maybe the OP just needs to use this 80 for a few years until he can afford a new car.

Some people still use these rigs as work vehicles and daily drivers.

Why worry about spending $$$$$$$$ to repair something like this. For all the OP knows he might total the rig in 3 months.

If somebody has the $$$$ and their rig is a resto project than go for it but not everybody is in this boat.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom