What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (27 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

On the topic of using rollers vs spraying for the frame. I contemplated this a ton but realized how much gap there is between the two interlocking C channels so I decided to go with a foam roller because it allows you to squish the paint on the inside and have it flow between the sections. You have to flip the frame to allow gravity to do its job. Much better than spraying. You would never get paint into the gaps if you spray it

Busy weekend. Scored some new fenders. Would think all the holes are there and in the right place. Not even close. Made a mistake on one and did some extra welding. Came out well. Both sides were missing stuff for the emissions equipment. Also started painting the frame. 4” cabinet rollers are the bomb. They allow you to get in everywhere, they lay the paint down thick and without drips.
View attachment 3167355View attachment 3167356View attachment 3167357View attachment 3167359View attachment 3167358
I WAS going to post about the fact (that most people fail to consider) that the replacement fenders are for the 79 and newer. But then I noticed that your frame is ‘79 or newer, so I’m surprised that things like the coil bracket would be missing.🤷🏻‍♂️

I WAS going to post about the fact (that most people fail to consider) that the replacement fenders are for the 79 and newer. But then I noticed that your frame is ‘79 or newer, so I’m surprised that things like the coil bracket would be missing.🤷🏻‍♂️
Agreed. Granted these fenders came by way of Alberta Canada so who knows…? I ended up drilling a total of 3 holes in each side and I’m hoping I got everything aligned correctly

Are they not diesel-fenders?

The usual Forest Service gathering / lineup. I have hours to hike before the state highway dept. will apply salt.

20221113_164027.jpg

You only get a week or so in autumn to enjoy just frozen north exposures, and I rarely get to see it. The same condition in spring lasts for months.

20221113_172710.jpg

Not perennial, here, but it is still a neat stream. This post is my reminder to try and make it here once a week until spring eventually gets me focused on yardwork and turning wrenches.

20221113_163740.jpg

Basically, I'm on a quest for natural light. No drug other than being in the sun, or staring into a hearth, will fix the misery we are about to enjoy.

20221113_164242.jpg

Installed the new rear springs from Alcan.
20221112_104652.jpg

He said missing stuff for emissions which makes sense. Probably general market fenders not US specs.

View attachment 3166006

Not the right audience, but I guess they look a bit similar… 😂
In that one is probably the best looking 4x4 vehicle ever made and the other is not?

To be fair, they're not too bad these newer ones, so long as they don't go nuts with those silly angry eye bumper kits

In that one is probably the best looking 4x4 vehicle ever made and the other is not?

To be fair, they're not too bad these newer ones, so long as they don't go nuts with those silly angry eye bumper kits

How long a suspension???

I used to feel for $10-15k you could run circles around newer 4x4s costing 3,4,5 times as much. How things have changed :(

At some point, the market will be primed for a conservative look on a 'jeep.' But, why has no one discovered how having the brim of a protruding ball-cap-style roof makes for lot less glare on the already awesome optics of a flattish, very vertical(ish) windshield? People drive with sunglasses because of light that is indirect or that their adrenal glands are kinda tired and makes them light-sensitive. Obscuring the view just slightly with a darker /slightly dirty lens. The roof is one of the best features on a 40, better yet when it protects the wiper arms not operating from the bottom of the pile of snow and ice (pre '75). Let's put those two trucks (Jeep and 45 above) in ping-pong hail, then go wheeling.

Last edited:
The roof is one of the best features on a 40, better yet when it protects the wiper arms not operating from the bottom of the pile of snow and ice (pre '75). Let's put those two truck in ping-pong hail, then go wheeling.

This is true up to a point. December 1983 I was driving from Phoenix to Flagstaff on I-17 in a heavy snow storm. Snow was packing up under the cap and limiting the wiper arm movement. I kept having to pull over and clean it which wasn't easy being packed up under the lip. In this rare case would have been easier to clean it off the cowl. I actually went on the hunt for a later windshield after that. While Toyota had stopped importing the 40 series by then all the 40 series with wipers on the bottom were less than ten years old. If I could I find a wrecked later FJ40 it had been rolled or wanted to much for the windshield. It was late eighties into the this century that was a hay days for buying 40 series parts. Now it's everything is gold plated. I stocked during the hay days with a few spare parts. This is less than half of what I've collected over the years.
PXL_20221107_214908707.jpg
PXL_20221107_214900993.jpg
PXL_20221107_214652644.MP.jpg
PXL_20221107_215042587.jpg
PXL_20221107_214934740.jpg

This is true up to a point. December 1983 I was driving from Phoenix to Flagstaff on I-17 in a heavy snow storm. Snow was packing up under the cap and limiting the wiper arm movement. I kept having to pull over and clean it which wasn't easy being packed up under the lip. In this rare case would have been easier to clean it off the cowl. I actually went on the hunt for a later windshield after that. While Toyota had stopped importing the 40 series by then all the 40 series with wipers on the bottom were less than ten years old. If I could I find a wrecked later FJ40 it had been rolled or wanted to much for the windshield. It was late eighties into the this century that was a hay days for buying 40 series parts. Now it's everything is gold plated. I stocked during the hay days with a few spare parts. This is less than half of what I've collected over the years.
View attachment 3168631View attachment 3168632
Looks like a parts wonderland!!!

"This is true up to a point. December 1983 I was driving from Phoenix to Flagstaff on I-17 in a heavy snow storm. Snow was packing up under the cap and limiting the wiper arm movement. I kept having to pull over and clean it which wasn't easy being packed up under the lip. In this rare case would have been easier to clean it off the cowl."

I'd see the problem on the freeway. It is just that on '75 and later windshields, the ice locks the wiper blade to the glass, every morning. The roof cap could have prevented some of that on earlier Land Cruiser 40(ish). Dust accumulates up there because the rain doesn't wash it off.

Address please… 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom