Builds OL'BETSY ZX: 1991 HZJ77 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Today was a pretty long day spent under my truck. But the end result was very good ..

My BOSS airbags are now installed. Here are a few terrible pics...
IMG_20221029_190331_222.jpg

IMG_20221029_190324_555.jpg
i tee-ed them together and currently have a single valve in the side of my plastic inner bumper cap.

IMG_20221029_190352_446.jpg

They are capable of levelling the truck (loaded) without having too much pressure. I'll need to do some experimentation to find the sweet spot, for both load carrying and ride quality, but for now I was able to easily bring up the rear to match the front, despite having most of my gear onboard.

Eventually it'd be nice to have the option of airing up and down from inside the cab...

A few install notes for the BOSS airbags on a 70 series...

Because I didn't have a lot of room, I deflated the bags and close the valve to make them as compact as possible. Then I put a floor jack under the leaf spring u-bolt base plate (after cracking loose those nuts! OMG they were tight!). Finally, I put my hi-lift under my hitch receiver, so I could raise the body away from the leaf springs a bit.

These airbags clamp under the rounded part of the u-bolt on top of the axle, which means you need to loosen the u-bolts. On top at the frame side, they bolt in in place of the bumpstops. My bumpstop rubbers were already missing in action, so it was simply a matter of unbolting the left-over plates. Wait, did I say "simple"? Yeah, not so much. One side unbolted with some liberal penetrating oil, but on the other side BOTH bolts broke off in situ, leaving me hours of quality time with a drill, various bits, and a thread tap. Once that was sorted, I put the bags in place, slowly let the air IN so they'd fill the space, then bolted the uppers to the frame. Finally, I tightened up the u-bolts and ran the air lines. Lots of faffery to get them there, but it'll be obvious if you ever tackle this job...

Note: The LHS unit fits right in, no issues. The RHS had some interference from the diff breather fitting. It was too tall. I ended up removing it, and will be ordering a smaller right angle 1/8" NPT fitting to replace it. I also shortened the tubing that clamps to the axle just a bit, so the breather hole wouldn't be covered.
Also, these bags came with a simple 1/8NPT to valve stem fitting. I certainly didn't want to crawl under there with an airline every time I wanted to fill or empty them, so I bought a 1/8 to 1/4 adapter, and an airline kit, with tees and valves.

51uPIKGyD9L._AC_SX679_.jpg

711HJt9K-1L._AC_SX679_.jpg

Where the airline came close to the exhaust, I sleeved it. Both lines join in front of the fuel tank, and for now one schrader valve comes through the bumper for adjustment.

One last note on the airbags - mine were purchased used, and were originally on a 60 series, which also fits (almost) perfectly on the 70 series. This 'Mud thread was very helpful in helping me decide to go ahead... Note that the OP used a different type of bag early in the thread, and later switched to the type I put in. The thread becomes a clearing house of airbag type installs and questions, and is super helpful.
Rear FJ60 Airlift/Boss airbag install

Well, at risk of taking a step back in time (as if I haven't already with this rig) I ordered tires today. But not some fancy 17 or 18 inch with 20 ply sidewalls. Nope.

Fifteens. In quite possibly my favorite size. 33x1050. On my favorite tire: BFG ko2. Load range C.

Cue the music!

Going back to my factory wheels. Spacers get pulled. And I'll save 15 pounds per corner.

I'm excited like it's 1995!

I am still running the original 15X7 OEM alloys on mine as well. IMHO, it is best to stick with OEM and even better to stick with the OEM wheels intended for that vehicle depending on your intended use of the vehicle.

Oh boy. Parts are beginning to arrive for what was originally going to be a "someday, maybe" project.
IMG_20221107_145832_515.jpg

This is pretty exciting! And the fact that this stuff wasn't a king's ransom for brand new makes it even better.

I'm currently waiting on some oil lines, a manifold adapter flange, and a sump bung from Mitch Simpson at Simpson Offroad engineering. Super nice guy, and I love to support small companies, even if they are across the world from me. Once this package comes, I'm about ready to start getting serious. Maybe over Christmas holidays, if all goes well?

I'll still need a few bits - boost gauge for sure, and likely a few other small pieces?

I just came across this thread, and I've got to say, it's absolutely awesome. Thank you for taking the time to write this all out.
Dude. Those of us who document our progress mostly talk to ourselves. Clearly someone reads it (the stats are there) but it does feel sometimes like you're talking to yourself... Lol. So I definitely appreciate the feedback.

I've found more info in searches from this forum and all its subs than anywhere else. So if I can contribute even a tiny bit, through my blunders, then that's a help, right? 🤣

This doesn't really belong in a build thread but...

Not too long ago we lost our second girl to old age (both within two years) leaving us dogless for the first time in 17 years. You might remember my older one from my avatar. Well... Today we have a new baby 4 wheeler! She is also a Shiba Inu like our last two, but she's the rare cream variety.

Welcome Frosty Shimo!

IMG_20221112_163556.jpg

Anyways, she'll be my wheeling/camping buddy hopefully for a long time to come, but while she's a puppy my progress will likely slow down a bit. Lol. Not that it was ever quick. Or progress! 😂

Her first Landcruiser experience was this morning in our 100 series, because the 77 might have been too advanced for beginner? 🤣

Pupper has been keeping me busy but she's learning fast.

Meanwhile, Mitch Simpson sent me a couple of boxes of beautiful bespoke 1hz turbo converting bits that I can't wait to get after! Also, my acsd blanking plate and gasket came. I just wish there was a new acsd going in instead. Started much better when it was functional.

Christmas holidays might be prime for boost! 😆

Oh, pizza cutters are on. Trying to decide if I sell the 17" combo or not.

This rig, as I mentioned, has some rust from 30 years of wearing the factory flares. Here's what was under there (flares were pulled before I bought it, so I knew what I was in for)
View attachment 2495547

Front fenders could be repaired I suppose, but they are bolt on, so I've bought new ones. One is now onhand, the other one will be delivered soon (shop I bought them from thought they had a pair, but turned out they had a lot of lefts, no rights). So I'll soon be able to replace these.

The rear quarters are also done for. The LHS is the worst one... rust on the outside and inside panels.

View attachment 2495548

I pulled the bumper endcaps so I could see exactly what I was in for. I'm still shopping around for options here. Landcruisers direct has FULL quarters, but I only need the lowers. Everything else is solid. And shipping to Canada would be pretty pricey on such a large piece. Still investigating possibilities here. Right now I'm thinking patch panels (if I can find them) and a rear bumper from Coastal to wrap around them.

Here's the right side. Much better, in comparison...
View attachment 2495550

This is the only serious rust on the truck, so once I get this sorted, I'll be good to move on.

I put the front porch on it, but OMG I just couldn't stand it! It was there a week, and I had to pull it again. I'll figure out another way to bolt up the PTO...
View attachment 2495551

No offense to those who have and enjoy the factory bumper. Just not for me.
This rig, as I mentioned, has some rust from 30 years of wearing the factory flares. Here's what was under there (flares were pulled before I bought it, so I knew what I was in for)
View attachment 2495547

Front fenders could be repaired I suppose, but they are bolt on, so I've bought new ones. One is now onhand, the other one will be delivered soon (shop I bought them from thought they had a pair, but turned out they had a lot of lefts, no rights). So I'll soon be able to replace these.

The rear quarters are also done for. The LHS is the worst one... rust on the outside and inside panels.

View attachment 2495548

I pulled the bumper endcaps so I could see exactly what I was in for. I'm still shopping around for options here. Landcruisers direct has FULL quarters, but I only need the lowers. Everything else is solid. And shipping to Canada would be pretty pricey on such a large piece. Still investigating possibilities here. Right now I'm thinking patch panels (if I can find them) and a rear bumper from Coastal to wrap around them.

Here's the right side. Much better, in comparison...
View attachment 2495550

This is the only serious rust on the truck, so once I get this sorted, I'll be good to move on.

I put the front porch on it, but OMG I just couldn't stand it! It was there a week, and I had to pull it again. I'll figure out another way to bolt up the PTO...
View attachment 2495551

No offense to those who have and enjoy the factory bumper. Just not for me.
Where did you pick up your fenders? I need a set for my HZJ73. I live next door in Manitoba, so anything Canadian would be great.

4 wheel auto in Edmonton got me the fenders. The flares bits were from partsouq.
Excellent. I’ll call them. I already have a tonne of items that I’m planning on getting from them. I’m not doing flares. I’m running 31x10.5 on 15s; they fit nicely underneath without them.
Thanks!

Well in an unbelievable turn of events I have bought myself another, newer 70 series so this one will soon be going up for sale. 😱 I'm still a little in shock. But also excited.

Most of the bolt ons will go to the next truck, but the bones are still fine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom