Rubbing/vibration and squeak sound from steering wheel... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, I have a couple issues here both when turning which appear to only happen when the truck is cold.

I have a squeaking sound when I turn, it's not terrible loud and only happens when the truck is cold and it sounds like it's coming from the wheel itself.

The larger issue is that I have a rubbing sound and a vibration from the wheel when making a tight right, it's not constant and only when the truck is cold it sounds/feels as if it's coming from the driver side wheel well or even direct from the wheel itself. I thought I simply had some rubbing in there due to saggy old shocks, taller than OEM wheels and cut snake flares but I've since upgraded the suspension all around with a slight lift and it hasn't changed. It's more of a rubber or plastic type of vibration/rubbing, not metal.

Anyone have any idea where my half banana ass needs to start on this?

Grab a buddy and find a parking lot. short a buddy? I would start with wheel bearings, brakes (dust cover, caliper bolts) shre it’s not the steering column plastic rubbing? I’d work through the whole steering system beginning with the wheel and on down…

That sounds really annoying. Sorry dude.

Thanks for the reply fellas, honestly the squeak is not a big thing I'm just nitpicking and trying to be thorough in case it's related. It only does it when the truck is cold and for the first couple turns I make, I'll research the silicon thank you @COYS.

The real issue is the rubbing/vibration just because I'm worried it may be indicative of something that needs to be addressed mechanically. I made a little short video in the parking lot just now, it only does it on right turns when coming out of the turn....correctly the wheel.

That's a pretty significant groan/shudder. I would be looking at the power steering system or maybe something that's binding during rotation, like maybe a Birfield going bad (could one even go bad in such a way that it intermittently binds?).

Do you hear anything out of the ordinary from outside the vehicle?

That's a pretty significant groan/shudder. I would be looking at the power steering system or maybe something that's binding during rotation, like maybe a Birfield going bad (could one even go bad in such a way that it intermittently binds?).

Do you hear anything out of the ordinary from outside the vehicle?

Thanks for the reply Gummy, no I haven't been able to grab anyone to help me with that yet. I'm thinking if maybe I can leave the wheel at that position, I'll try that tonight....

Thanks for the reply Gummy, no I haven't been able to grab anyone to help me with that yet. I'm thinking if maybe I can leave the wheel at that position, I'll try that tonight....
Many of the trucks have this issue when cold. I first tried graphite down between the sections of plastic.

It's actually up from the bottom. You need to stand on your head and look up under the column and see a bearing that is up under there, there shoot some lube on it. There is a thread that details this, but I don't recall the name of it. I'll look for it and maybe post some pics.

Many of the trucks have this issue when cold. I first tried graphite down between the sections of plastic.

It's actually up from the bottom. You need to stand on your head and look up under the column and see a bearing that is up under there, there shoot some lube on it. There is a thread that details this, but I don't recall the name of it. I'll look for it and maybe post some pics.

Hi BILT thanks so much brother, you referring to the squeak or the rubbing?

Hi BILT thanks so much brother, you referring to the squeak or the rubbing?
The squeak inside the cab of the steering wheel to the column. It's actually a bearing under the column.

The big sound (BRRRTT!) right at the end of your video clip.

The squeak inside the cab of the steering wheel to the column. It's actually a bearing under the column.

My steering squeak sounds NOTHING like that in the clip. It's literally a light "squeak" like sneakers on a basketball court noise.

And that thread has no visuals. I took off the plastics in the column, looked up and all I could see was a maze of metal, cables and other random plastics.

My steering squeak sounds NOTHING like that in the clip. It's literally a light "squeak" like sneakers on a basketball court noise.

And that thread has no visuals. I took off the plastics in the column, looked up and all I could see was a maze of metal, cables and other random plastics.

The video isn't the squeak, the video is the vibration/rubbing.....my "squeak" is also like you described. I have both, was thinking perhaps they were related.

Would be awesome if that's all it is, tried searching but didn't come up with much.....any pointers as to what terms I should be searching for?

The video isn't the squeak, the video is the vibration/rubbing.....my "squeak" is also like you described. I have both, was thinking perhaps they were related.
That's what I'm saying. You have bigger problems than my annoying mouse squeak.

Would be awesome if that's all it is, tried searching but didn't come up with much.....any pointers as to what terms I should be searching for?
Found it. Go to all the links listed. This one has all the solutions.

Francis, the 80 is not your Ferrari. Maybe you should lower your expectations.
Also, when you guys describe that sound, "Brrrrttt". the only Brrrrt that I know of comes out the front of an A-10
brrrrt.jpeg

Thanks for the reply fellas, honestly the squeak is not a big thing I'm just nitpicking and trying to be thorough in case it's related. It only does it when the truck is cold and for the first couple turns I make, I'll research the silicon thank you @COYS.

The real issue is the rubbing/vibration just because I'm worried it may be indicative of something that needs to be addressed mechanically. I made a little short video in the parking lot just now, it only does it on right turns when coming out of the turn....correctly the wheel.

Sounds like the little squeak is a gonna be fixed with either some lube or some clock spring thingy that @BILT4ME linked thread describes.

The groan/binding noise sounds worthy of pursuing. So far you have said that:
- It is inconsistent
-happens on R turns only
-when the vehicle is cold (or is it when the ambient temp is cold?)

Questions:
1. Can you find evidence of rubbing? eg scuffs/ marks in the wheel well? You initially had concerns that it was rubbing form the tire...but it seems unlikely as you have changed your suspension etc and the sound persists.

2. Does it happen only once or can you make it happen multiple times when its cold?

3. Does the sound only happen when you are moving? Or can it happen when you crank the wheel to full lock while stationary?

4. When did the noise begin? Does it correlate with any events? eg (forded Lake Superior/ bought new 33" tires/ changed my PS fluid)

5. What's your PS system like? Have you gone through it ever?

Sorry for no update here fellas, the holidays are my busy season and I've been stupid slammed. Need to run some more testing to determine that weird rubbing sound and also lube up that spring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom