Airbags on a lifted LC (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I run the firestones which are exactly what the airbag man uses. But without the sleeves. Which airbagman won’t sell separately….

And I run it with an arb dual controlled by the arb Linx.

Works great.

Thanks for the reply. And to be clear, you're running the full airbags, not just the bags in coil springs setup, right?
The only airbags available for the LC are the Firestone or airbagman ones which fit inside the rear coils. To my knowledge there is no full air suspension option available

Here is the full air setup for the rear. In theory it sounds amazing but as mentioned a couple of posts before, nobody on Mud seems to have installed this yet.

Here is the full air setup for the rear. In theory it sounds amazing but as mentioned a couple of posts before, nobody on Mud seems to have installed this yet.

I’ve debated on converting my Conqueror from springs to bags but the fear of a bag failure has kept me from doing it. Idk how common, if at all, a bag failure is with bags like this but in the event of a failure you’d be pretty shafted.

Doing this conversion would be adding a couple new failure points to an otherwise failure proof suspension component. I’m not sure that there is an equation that makes sense to me to make this jump on my truck or camper.

This is indeed what I'm referring to. Still looking for someone who's shelled out $1500 for them and then wheeled the vehicle. I want to tow a trailer and offroad, while keeping my ride level. The "bags in coils" are fine and I do that on my 4Runner but I already have an arb compressor and am willing to do something more elegant as I only take the LC200 on easy trails like Ouray / Telluride, and don't have plans to wheel in big rocks and stuff.

Doing this conversion would be adding a couple new failure points to an otherwise failure proof suspension component. I’m not sure that there is an equation that makes sense to me to make this jump on my truck or camper.
In theory you are correct, but Dave Chapelle has run airbags on quite a few of his builds and even taken them on Ultimate Adventure, which is pretty grueling. 18 wheelers run air suspension for the same reason. I've personally installed some load leveling airbags and they are surprisingly thick/tough.

That said, you're right, springs are more durable. But for the wheeling I'm doing with my LC I feel like it's much less aggressive than the 2 examples mentioned above. I'm valuing a variable suspension over extreme durability.

In theory you are correct, but Dave Chapelle has run airbags on quite a few of his builds and even taken them on Ultimate Adventure, which is pretty grueling. 18 wheelers run air suspension for the same reason. I've personally installed some load leveling airbags and they are surprisingly thick/tough.

That said, you're right, springs are more durable. But for the wheeling I'm doing with my LC I feel like it's much less aggressive than the 2 examples mentioned above. I'm valuing a variable suspension over extreme durability.
I hear ya and you’re making a real compelling argument edging me closer to doing this on my camper…

I don't have them, but have come close a few times. The airbag inside spring setup seems like it is the best of both worlds. It has the relative simplicity and usability of a spring based suspension and the load carrying and leveling capability of the airbags. And if you get some like the Australian AirbagMan ones with a kevlar sleeve (as opposed to the Firestone ones without any protection), it seems like a reasonably durable and protected setup.

I personally don't know of any in the US with Full Rear Air... although in Australia it's done fairly often.. mostly on Touring setups.. Probably not the thing you want for rock crawling... But then again the US is pretty far behind the game with the LC200 modifications.

Yeah I was just chatting with one of the developers for ARB in Australia and a lot of them run the full air suspension and love them. And we were discussing exactly how US just hasn’t adopted them as much as OZ. And they run hard and not running into tons of failures and punctures. But I bet a lot has to do with a good solid install too.

Yeah I was just chatting with one of the developers for ARB in Australia and a lot of them run the full air suspension and love them. And we were discussing exactly how US just hasn’t adopted them as much as OZ. And they run hard and not running into tons of failures and punctures. But I bet a lot has to do with a good solid install too.
Every example I could find was in Aus.

Also, other than air line routing - the install is crazy easy. The bags compress to find in the spring perches so it's easier than springs.

I'll report back if I end up doing this. Once I get over the $1500 price tag for rears, and add a wireless controller to manage them, I'll do it. Might be a year or two.

I would consider this if there is any benefit other than for towing. Looking for a super soft ride.

Every example I could find was in Aus.

Also, other than air line routing - the install is crazy easy. The bags compress to find in the spring perches so it's easier than springs.

I'll report back if I end up doing this. Once I get over the $1500 price tag for rears, and add a wireless controller to manage them, I'll do it. Might be a year or two.

The topic of discussion with ARB was about their Linx control module. It’s a perfect system to do what you looking for.

And we are actually working on the fact that they’ve uncoupled the LINX from the actual hand piece and you can run it on a GROM VLINE or EC Off-road like android.

48E3E994-F815-4A4B-93B0-7D58A0567E46.jpeg

As far as failures go, deflate the second bag and then ride on the bump stops? Wouldn’t be comfortable but would get you to a repair shop in a pinch, then reinstall some factory springs and drive it until you can get replacement bags…

The topic of discussion with ARB was about their Linx control module. It’s a perfect system to do what you looking for.

And we are actually working on the fact that they’ve uncoupled the LINX from the actual hand piece and you can run it on a GROM VLINE or EC Off-road like android.

View attachment 3167997
I still need to get on this with my Linx…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom