Wind Noise is Driving me Bonkers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The right side of my window on my '13 LC is super loud at high speeds (about 80 mph). It's like a crackling sound that's coming from underneath my right wiper. When I drop the speed to 70 mph, though, the sound pretty much goes away.

Here's a video of the problem:

Any idea how to fix this?

Sounds like something is fluttering. Replacement windshield?

Maybe the plastic cowl trim is missing some clips or is not on correctly?

Get some 2” blue painter’s tape and start taping stuff like the cowl and right side windshield trim to see what makes it quiet. The goal is just to change the way air flows over parts.

Also attach a picture from the side of the trim across the top of the windshield. Body shops often use incorrect parts here and it can do strange things to the airflow across the top of the panel.

Get some 2” blue painter’s tape and start taping stuff like the cowl and right side windshield trim to see what makes it quiet.

Also attach a picture from the side of the trim across the top of the windshield. Body shops often use incorrect parts here and it can do strange things to the airflow across the top of the panel.
Great idea! I'll do that!

Attached are more pics:

IMG_3613.JPG

IMG_3614.JPG

IMG_3615.JPG

I have a 2013 Cruiser and have this same annoying crackling noise under my right wiper. I only experience it during very windy conditions and driving at freeway speeds like when driving over mountain passes. I‘m on original windshield and no missing clips on the cowls. The only thing i can think of is it has something to do with airflow in that area. Prob not the air box, but in the area between the cowl and the cabin air filter. Hope you discover an easy fix as this does become annoying on long road trips!

That top trim doesn’t appear to be installed correctly. If you look closely the drivers side is folded back down, which is correct, but it seems to be transitioned to lifted up and over on the passenger side.

I doubt that’s the source but it doesn’t seem right and may need attention. It is the correct part though.

I have a 2013 Cruiser and have this same annoying crackling noise under my right wiper. I only experience it during very windy conditions and driving at freeway speeds like when driving over mountain passes. I‘m on original windshield and no missing clips on the cowls. The only thing i can think of is it has something to do with airflow in that area. Prob not the air box, but in the area between the cowl and the cabin air filter. Hope you discover an easy fix as this does become annoying on long road trips!
This! I notice the sound when the wind appears to be sheering across the windshield. Something like what you’re describing, unfortunately. I’ll try taping pieces down to pinpoint the problem.

Any idea how to fix this?

When I drop the speed to 70 mph, though, the sound pretty much goes away.
I think you answered your own question. :p

The other thing to carefully try is to listen as you are behind other traffic (semi truck vs passenger vehicle).

Off topic: where'd you get that cool SawStop poster? I need one for my woodshop.

I have / had this issue. Previous owner replaced windshield, I assume not everything was perfectly re installed. I found the plastic cowl / corner cowl piece (under the wiper) was fluttering at high speeds and transferring a good amount of noise into the cabin. I used some thick double sided 3m tape under the plastic. I didn’t even try to secure both sides. I left the plastic cover on the tape and essentially used it as a padding…. I was doing this to trouble shoot the sound, I got rid of 90% of it and haven’t gone further. All that’s to say, I’d start taping this down or adding padding between the windshield and cowl pieces to see where the sound is coming from

Off topic: where'd you get that cool SawStop poster? I need one for my woodshop.
I went to my local SawStop dealer and asked for a banner! He gave me one and a Powermatic sign, too. They look great! I have lots of Festool, but no sign…

I have / had this issue. Previous owner replaced windshield, I assume not everything was perfectly re installed. I found the plastic cowl / corner cowl piece (under the wiper) was fluttering at high speeds and transferring a good amount of noise into the cabin. I used some thick double sided 3m tape under the plastic. I didn’t even try to secure both sides. I left the plastic cover on the tape and essentially used it as a padding…. I was doing this to trouble shoot the sound, I got rid of 90% of it and haven’t gone further. All that’s to say, I’d start taping this down or adding padding between the windshield and cowl pieces to see where the sound is coming from
Any way we can get you to attach a picture showing specifically where you added tape?

I’m starting to remember my previous windshield may have made this noise too. It was aftermarket and installed too low. The new panel was installed by an absolute master of the craft and is OEM, no noises now. But I suspect this may be a common issue.

Any way we can get you to attach a picture showing specifically where you added tape?

I’m starting to remember my previous windshield may have made this noise too. It was aftermarket and installed too low. The new panel was installed by an absolute master of the craft and is OEM, no noises now. But I suspect this may be a common issue.
I circled where I added tape. I think it certainly helped, but I’m unsure if it’s because I limited the wind from flowing underneath the right wiper or preventing wind from entering the plastic piece.

D6259019-0501-4C84-8A14-2458703BF0CE.jpeg

FWIW you are not running stock wiper blades. Could that be the cause?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom