Diesel Fuel Grades - Which Do you Use/Prefer ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When filling up, you basically have two choices: diesel #1 and diesel #2. The different grades reflect the content of cetane in the fuel, which is the volatility of the formula.

Grade #1 is generally more volatile and flows more freely, which causes it to work well during winter.

Grade #2 is more viscous and lubricating. Vehicles that use this variety benefit from lower operating temperatures, extended rpm, and enhanced torque used to pull their loads. The benefits that come with this grade allow for increased MPG and extended maintenance life of the engine. Diesel fuel #2 is recommended for general highway use.

Winterized varieties of fuel are a blend of diesel, light distillates, and kerosene. Using winterized types often results in reduced fuel economy. Some diesel engine manufacturers warn against using any additives.

For whatever strange reason, my Hilux has always delivered its best fuel mileage running winter diesel in winter conditions. I distinctly remember recording 6.9 L/100 km one time in the dead of winter in icy conditions. That's better fuel economy than an older Rav 4.

I do use a diesel fuel additive, but how does that explain how I get better mileage using winter diesel?

I never bother searching for expensive diesel #1, although I know of a couple local retailers' that offer it. The diesel additive I use contains a cetane booster, so there is no need.

I filled up the other day only to discover that diesel prices here had suddenly increased .35 cents/liter........:mad:

Rocky Mtn Hilux

Last edited:
I've never seen more than one diesel option at any station I've ever been to.

Diesel #1 isn't offered at very many gas stations. In my region, the select few fuel retailers that do offer #1 that I know of are Shell, Husky and UFA. Even then, it's only available at a small number of stores.

1_and_2_diesel_1024x1024.jpeg

100% of the diesel fuel sold in Alberta is refined at the Imperial Oil Refinery north of Edmonton in Strathcona.

Rocky Mtn Hilux

Last edited:
Here in NZ we get normal diesel in most places around the country year-round. In winter, winter diesel is what comes out of the pump (mostly on the south island), and the further you move south the more additive is in the fuel.

I've heard all sorts of BS here about different fuels from different stations making trucks run funny or have more power. Excluding that storage can have a impact (water etc), all our fuel comes from the same place, excluding one chain that imports their own. They even trade stock between each other, so there's a very high chance that the diesel coming out the pump at BP, Z, Caltex, Mobil and others is exactly the same.

The picture below is a bit out of date given that the refinery is closed so now all refined fuel will be imported. Its pretty likely that will come from the same place.

1668023525696.png

Diesel #1 isn't offered at very many gas stations. In my region, the select few fuel retailers that do offer #1 that I know of are Shell, Husky and UFA. Even then, it's only available at a small number of stores.

Rocky Mtn Hilux
I've only seen it offered at Shell in my area. I think rather than different grades of diesel the more expensive (which I'd guess is Diesel #1) is labelled "V-Power." I tried it recently and noticed it burns cleaner than the other diesel at Shell. However, in general, I find my truck smokes more when running on the #2 diesel from Shell. I haven't run my numbers on fuel economy to see if there was any difference from a few tanks of the #1, but in general, I usually see fuel economy drop 5-10% on winter diesel. In general, I prefer to fill up with diesel from Husky, Mobil/Esso, or PetroCan as they seem to result in a less smokey exhaust from my truck. I don't think I've ever noticed a significant difference in fuel economy from one station to the next though.

I usually fill up at Centex, and always use Xp3 as a fuel additive. Our old Toyota diesels were never designed to run on s***ty non-sulphur 40 cetane fuel, which is what you will find for the most part at pumps all across Canada. All diesel fuel in Alberta comes from the Imperial Oil Refinery in Strathcona, close to Edmonton.

IMHO, the benefits of an effective and scientifically proven fuel additive far outweigh the added hassle and expense.

1972 Honda Z 50 e .jpg

Most diesels for standard vehicles and general highway usage normally require a cetane rating that falls between 45 to around 55. The table below outlines the different grades of cetane numbers that correspond with various diesel fuels that are compression ignited.

Types of DieselCetane Numbers
Regular Diesel48
Premium Diesel55
Biodiesel (B100)55
Biodiesel Blend (B20)50
Synthetic Diesel55

Cetane number is a measure of the fuel oil’s volatility; the higher the rating, the easier the engine will start and the smoother the combustion process will be within the ratings specified by the engine manufacturer.

Current 1D and 2D diesel fuels in Canada have a cetane rating between 40 and 50.

Rocky Mtn Hilux

Last edited:
you get both options for winter? we only get #1 in winter, which is a good thing. I am surprised you get better mpg with #1 vs #2. usually you loose mpg with #1. one station here offers a pump with a 10% bioblend which I try to use during the summer for the added lubricity. I also use additives when filling up.

I run B20 with pretty good results. Full synthetic has only recently become available. There is a place in Bend that is selling it so I was thinking of trying it when I am over there later this month.

Diesel #2 has more energy content per gallon than #1. More paraffin if I remember right. #1 is usually better in really cold climates because it doesn't gel up like #2 does. Cloud point is the spec.

I worked in an underground mine that used #1 diesel in the equipment for emission reasons and the engines had less power compared to #2.

So there is more difference between #1 and #2 diesel than cetane rating.

I could only guess that since cetane affects the ignition quality of the fuel that it probably affects timing somewhat.

Some fuel suppliers here have two grades of diesel (normal or 'truck diesel' and a 'premium' one) but most outlets only have one.

I fill up my 80 with Ampol (formerly Caltex before Chevron ended the brand license agreement) 'vortex diesel' (now called 'Amplify diesel') and the last time I filled up two weeks ago it cost me $2.349 per litre when I bought 105 litres. Some outlets locally right near where I live are A$2.399 a litre, and I saw an Ampol close to my work in Newcastle (NSW not UK!) just the other day with diesel at A$2.439 per litre. In rural areas it can be a lot higher in price.

But we have it easy compared to places like the UK, or New Zealand.

Fortunately my 80 has 140 L capacity across the two tanks and I'll get probably 1200 to maybe 1300 km out of that. The old 80's 1hz isn't great on fuel - I think it works out around 11 to 12 L per 100 km if I'm not doing any high speed (like 100 kph average) highway driving.

Here in NSW there are no fuel refineries any more - all fuel is bulk-imported pre-refined (I believe mostly from Singapore?) and all distributed by bulk pipelines to big sites in a couple of places but otherwise all to retail outlets by road transport (rail transport of bulk fuel in NSW ceased in the mid-2000's). A couple of the other Australian states do still have operating oil refineries but I don't know where the input crude oil comes from.

A couple of days ago I paid $1.92 per liter for diesel #2. I can still remember in the early 1990's when diesel was .19 cents per liter..... :censor:

The average price of diesel around the world is $1.36 U.S. Dollar per liter as of November 07, 2022.

There are oil wells in Manitoba that pump out diesel that is so pure there is no need for refinement. It can go straight into to your tank..... :hmm:

Always try to fill up at a station that is constantly busy. Stale diesel can be a killer to injectors.

Rocky Mtn Hilux

Last edited:
Cetane Numbers

BP (Amoco branded), 51
Chevron, 49 (51 with Techron D)
ConocoPhillips, 48 (California 48-53)
PetroCanada, 47-51
Shell, 46;
Sinclair, 46
Marathon 45
Exxon/Mobile, 43-46
BP, 40-42 (Powerblend 47)
HESS, 40-45
Husky, 40 (Max 41-45)
Sunoco, 40 (Sunoco Gold 45)
Holiday Stations, 40-43
Love's: 40
Pilot: 40
Valero: 40
Sheetz: 40
Flying J, 40

All diesel fuel sold in California is 55 Cetane - mandated by law

Brands that claim to EXCEED the minimum requirements:
Amoco - 51
BP – Powerblend ONLY - 47
Chevron - 49; or 51 with Techron D labels in select markets Confirmed 8/2012
Countrymark fuels labeled Diesel-R - 50
Centec - 42
Conoco & Phillips 66 & Union 76 – 48 - 51
Exxon/Mobile - 43 Confirmed with 800 phone # call 12/2012
Kroeger (Fry’s) in AZ only is Shell - 46 confirmed 12/2012 other states – 40?
Shell - 46;
Sinclair - 46;
Sunoco Gold - 45 (often 1-5 higher)
Texaco 46-51 (Chevron)

Brands that claim only the minimum of 40:

BP - NOT Powerblend 40-42. Confirmed 12/2012
Citco - 40 – 42
Country Mark- 40
Flying J - 40
Holiday Stations - 40-43
HESS - 40-42, can be up to 45 if labeled.
Husky - 40 +
Irving – 40 in New England Confirmed 8/2014
Love's - 40
Murphy’s at some Walmarts - 40
Pilot - 40
Quick Trip (QT) – 40 but added lubricants and cleaners. Confirmed 6/2014
RaceTrac – 40, confirmed directly with company 11/2012
Sheetz – 40, confirmed directly with company 10/2012
Sunoco regular diesel - 40.
Speedway & Marathon - 40 (same company)
Valero – 40
WaWa - (northeast states) 40

1668144285734.jpeg

Rocky Mtn Hilux

Last edited:
There are oil wells in Manitoba that pump out diesel that is so pure there is no need for refinement. It can go straight into to your tank..... :hmm:
🤣🙄

Please try this and report back.

Sincerely,
Somebody currently sitting 100' from an oil well being drilled in said location.
IMG_20150127_195524.jpg
IMG_20150127_202131.jpg
IMG_20150128_021033.jpg

Last edited:
I know this to be true because the mechanic that works on my Hilux also designs pressure containment vessels for the oil patch.

I distinctly remember him showing me pictures of the sight, and him telling me how all the crew and its diesel powered machinery filled up directly from the well.

Rocky Mtn Hilux

Last edited:
I've never felt power differences with different diesels. What I do notice, is some give easier starting, and some burn clean where occasionally I'll get a tank that gives a bit of blue smoke.

Some fuel suppliers here have two grades of diesel (normal or 'truck diesel' and a 'premium' one) but most outlets only have one.

I fill up my 80 with Ampol (formerly Caltex before Chevron ended the brand license agreement) 'vortex diesel' (now called 'Amplify diesel') and the last time I filled up two weeks ago it cost me $2.349 per litre when I bought 105 litres. Some outlets locally right near where I live are A$2.399 a litre, and I saw an Ampol close to my work in Newcastle (NSW not UK!) just the other day with diesel at A$2.439 per litre. In rural areas it can be a lot higher in price.

But we have it easy compared to places like the UK, or New Zealand.

Fortunately my 80 has 140 L capacity across the two tanks and I'll get probably 1200 to maybe 1300 km out of that. The old 80's 1hz isn't great on fuel - I think it works out around 11 to 12 L per 100 km if I'm not doing any high speed (like 100 kph average) highway driving.

Here in NSW there are no fuel refineries any more - all fuel is bulk-imported pre-refined (I believe mostly from Singapore?) and all distributed by bulk pipelines to big sites in a couple of places but otherwise all to retail outlets by road transport (rail transport of bulk fuel in NSW ceased in the mid-2000's). A couple of the other Australian states do still have operating oil refineries but I don't know where the input crude oil comes from.
Costco Diesel here in Auckland is hovering around NZ$2.45/l. At the big retailers is anywhere from there to $3/l

Worst bit is that there’s less tax on diesel at the pump than petrol, (we pay tax on a per km basis), where as tax is included at pump on petrol.

I know this to be true because the mechanic that works on my Hilux also designs pressure containment vessels for the oil patch.

I distinctly remember him showing me pictures of the sight, and him telling me how all the crew and its diesel powered machinery filled up directly from the well.

Rocky Mtn Hilux

Mechanics don't design pressure vessels. Engineers design pressure vessels and while many do their own mechanical work I've never met one who works as a mechanic.

Mine does both...... :cool:

Putting up with the SOB is another story...... :censor:

Rocky Mtn Hilux

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom