What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (21 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

B75FC251-CB80-4F5E-9A9A-98C21E141155.jpeg

Cape lookout for a lil date with Nicole

Sorry man buy you got further than I ever did. On my old 91 I got the cable removed, cleaned it and re-installed because I couldn't find a replacement.

I suggest posting a dedicated thread to this topic and maybe someone will have some experience and good advice for you.

My only other tip would be to clean and lube your replacement cable before you install it.
@leonard_nemoy Thanks! I just saw this post and I did not lubricate the brand new one before I installed it. Saw this post after I did it.
Did I upload my after photos? I don't recall. Also, I was gonna toss the old cable but was wondering if I should keep any parts or see if anyone else needs them.
Thanks!

Finished my summer project of wrapping and painting my truck. Wasn't sure about the two tone look but I’m happy with the results.

35BB06AA-9D47-47BE-A02C-EE8421AE147E.jpeg
F13E0A60-DF52-4539-8C03-F9A2A6737246.jpeg

This is how it started a couple months ago.
616AEEC2-4A25-4EBA-A643-2D262D37C14A.jpeg

Took the family for a weekend getaway to a tiny house with some family friendly off-roading :)
348650DC-C792-4E60-BFB7-4046EC5F3D01.jpeg

Last edited:
Fall freshening!

Front and rear prop shaft grease
IIRC, there's 4-5 zerk fittings in the front double cardan shaft and 3 in the rear

Engine oil exchange
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30 (8 US qts)
Hand tighten oil can
Torque bolt/washer to 18ft lb

Front and rear differential oil exchange
Front w/ differential lock 2.65 liters (2.8 US qts)
Rear 3.25 liters (3.4 US qts)
(2) Steel crush washers 12157-10010
Torque bolt/washer to 39ft lb

Transfer case oil exchange
1.7 liters (1.8 US qts)
(2) Aluminum crush washers 90430-A0003
Torque bolt/washer to 27ft lb

Transmission fluid exchange
Only 2 gallons precisely as I stashed 2 gallons worth of synthetic ATF
Torque bolt/washer to 15ft lb

I think I see thanksgiving dinner :cool:

:edit: how challenging was it to remove and put back the engine while leaving the transmission in place? Would you do it again, or pull the tranny together if you had to do it over?
You're spot-on ... "Thanksgiving" and "Christmas" hanging around the work site :)

It is tough, or at least was tough doing it by myself. To get to the top trans/engine bolts, I had to pull the transmission cross member and lower the whole drivetrain. A consequence of that was that I unintentionally slipped the whole thing forward about 4 inches and had to use a come-along hooked on the rear axle to pull it all back into position to line up the engine mounts.

I think you'd also need to pull the radiator to get the engine+trans in and out, and I was happy to not have to do that.

In a perfect world I'd pull the trans with the engine, but then I am working on gravel - so I am far from a perfect world situation. :(

Reinforcing the rear lower links.

I have bent a few sets, this is the $20 fix.
Going to print some new bushings.

20221111_181040.jpg
20221111_170717.jpg

Aslo added the tailgate strut, thanks to @Obrokoff

I ended up finding a cable that is the right length 15in. Dorman 38536 Then put the bolt on a lathe so it can hold the cable and strut.

I made a kit to sell, so you can choose your own adventure.

Reinforcing the rear lower links.

I have bent a few sets, this is the $20 fix.
Going to print some new bushings.

View attachment 3165716View attachment 3165717

Aslo added the tailgate strut, thanks to @Obrokoff

I ended up finding a cable that is the right length 15in. Dorman 38536 Then put the bolt on a lathe so it can hold the cable and strut.

I made a kit to sell, so you can choose your own adventure.

Oh that’s SEXY!

Went to visit LC yesterday and it is looking very nice, looks like my next visit will be to take her home. All that's left is bumper, gull wings, window tinting, finally buff and detail. Guys have been doing great. I will post more after I pick it up next week.
0-1.jpg
0.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom