Trip counter broken - can anyone help with parts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The trip counter in my 80 has finally given up after about 600. A plastic lever that connects to the reset push switch has sheared off, and while I've glued it back together, suspect it won't last.

I don't expect this is the most common failure mode for a speedo, but this assembly doesn't seem to be spareable, and pricing on complete speedo/odo assemblies is prohibitive :(

Does any, by any chance happen to have a speedo assembly that's broken in some other way, and might have the bit that I need? it basically clips into the odometer assembly.

I'm in Australia, but I'm happy to cover postage and a couple of beers :)

Cheers.

not an uncommon problem.
I ended up buying an entire cluster. Hope you have better luck finding the part.

IMG_4088 2.JPG

exactly that. Thanks :)

I posted in that thread ^ but never updated. The fix failed because I forgot to be gentle and gave the reset plunger a quick push one time. Oops. Redid it.. got a little piece of fine sandpaper on each surface, cleaned with rubbing alcohol, then tried DAP rapidfuse superglue. So far it has been working, so long as I remember to reset it gently.

I also bent the little arm thing (coming off the plunger) out of the way, which normally gives the plunger its tactile "click"... with it out of the way, there's less resistance when resetting.

I'm curious which other vehicles use the same trip gear assembly - no way they'd only use this one in an 80 series.

If anyone is doing this or removing the speedo assembly for any other reason, make sure your speedo needle went back on correctly to show accurate speed. I wrote in the other thread about what worked for me.

Last edited:
I'm curious about other models too. Sadly salvage yards don't work like they should here, there's no rummaging around a yard for the parts you need. I do have a 98 hilux which I'll check.

Re the speedo needle, I refitted mine while driving on cruise at thirty (fifty). I don't recommend this approach, but couldn't see a better option.

its a very finicky (if thats how you spell it) job but if trying to fuse the broken bit with super glue, put a layer of bi-carb soda where the two pieces have broken and then a precise drop of super glue on the bi carb. it fuses extremely well in a split second but you have to be very precise with the drop

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom