just bought a 96 80.... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i have been at least 30 times lock to lock. it hopefullt is getting closer to done.
To give you an idea, I went 100 each direction with it off, then another 100 with it running.

What are you doing with your amber corner lights and turn signal lenses that you removed?

To give you an idea, I went 100 each direction with it off, then another 100 with it running.

What are you doing with your amber corner lights and turn signal lenses that you removed?
they are sitting on a shelf right now

is there any way that the oil pump could scrub the oil pump cover?
It’s not retained in any way so I’m pretty sure it can rub against the cover. But there should be a film of oil that prevents that.

Don’t forget vacuum hoses, most are easily changed, except a couple under the intake manifold.

Don’t forget vacuum hoses, most are easily changed, except a couple under the intake manifold.
I have replaced every vac coolant, fuel, transmission, and power steering hose on the vehicle. oh, and evap system hoses. all new rubber.

It’s not retained in any way so I’m pretty sure it can rub against the cover. But there should be a film of oil that prevents that.
I think i will remove accesory belts and stsrt engine to eliminate some things.

i put stick on alternator and pwr steering pump today. the sound is definitely coming from the pump. i am continuing to bleed system, as well. crossing my fingers......

maiden voyage today....13 miles and a car wash. she is definitely a 50 yarder! drives tight, good power, no squeaks or suspension noises, shifts like butter, ice cold AC.....

negatives......still has noise from under the hood, brakes are stiff as they can be, like the booster is not working, and the sunroof leaks....alot. the sunshield on the sunroof holds exactly 2 gallons of water in case you were wondering...and sliding it back when full causes it to cascade on top of you like Niagara Falls.

any helpful tips on the brakes? engine noise actually got better after driving.

20221026_172551.jpg

...sliding it back when full causes it to cascade on top of you like Niagara Falls.
My rig sat at Oskar Blues in Brevard in a spring storm for an hour filling up that cavity... upon reversing from a parking spot when it's full..oof. my poor kids in the back seat strapped in car seats had no escape from the deluge...😂

I never use the sunroof...I attacked the outer perimeter with some 3m marine sealant...no more leaks!

and the sunroof leaks....alot. the sunshield on the sunroof holds exactly 2 gallons of water in case you were wondering...and sliding it back when full causes it to cascade on top of you like Niagara Falls.
For a "temporary-permanent" fix on the sunroof leak.....

The cables on my 96 sunroof have broken so the rear of the sunroof sits down about 1/2" below the roof line so it would leak a LOT.

I have not had time to pull the headliner and replace it, so this has been my fix to make it so I don't end up with a wet crotch every time I drive it.
Pulling the headliner on the 91-94 (for other people) will be LOT more involved than the one in my 96. The 91-94 uses the bows and clips. The 95+ uses the molded fiber board with cloth covering.

Magnetic Sheet

I trimmed it to fit and kept it as wide as possible (52") for the most magnetic contact. Then I used silicone caulk to caulk it to the GLASS ONLY of the sunroof. I can now drive through car washes, and it will hold on at 75 MPH with a 25 MPH headwind.

1666875323674.png

1666875371411.png

i thought about going around the perimeter of the sunroof with a 1" strip of my epdm roofing tape that I used on my camper. I am not sure how easily it would be to get off though, when the time came.

maiden voyage today....13 miles and a car wash. she is definitely a 50 yarder! drives tight, good power, no squeaks or suspension noises, shifts like butter, ice cold AC.....

negatives......still has noise from under the hood, brakes are stiff as they can be, like the booster is not working, and the sunroof leaks....alot. the sunshield on the sunroof holds exactly 2 gallons of water in case you were wondering...and sliding it back when full causes it to cascade on top of you like Niagara Falls.

any helpful tips on the brakes? engine noise actually got better after driving.

View attachment 3151703
BTW, i cranked engine and checked brake booster for vac, and had exactly none. The hose adapter that screws into the intake has a fairly narrow opening, and it was plugged, presumably when i was cleaning intake with brake Kleen, which dissolved some the carbon, and allowed it to run into the port and then re-harden. brakes are great now.

My rig sat at Oskar Blues in Brevard in a spring storm for an hour filling up that cavity... upon reversing from a parking spot when it's full..oof. my poor kids in the back seat strapped in car seats had no escape from the deluge...😂

I never use the sunroof...I attacked the outer perimeter with some 3m marine sealant...no more leaks!
did you disable the electrical going to sunroof?

also, I think one of my first trips in it will be up to Table Rock, and from there on to the Hurricane Trail and a few other places around there. I got to gind an old campsite I used 30 years ago in Pisgah that was on a creek. Somewhere around yellow gap road.

after 50 mikes of "breaking in" , I had 9ne small radiator hose leak, which was fixed in 30 seconds....and I think, a power steering cooler leak. this is the only component in the entire system that i did not replace, and I have drips accumulating on the tubes when parked. Any suggestions? I am thinking about taking it off and silver soldering the hole and reinstalling. You have a better idea?

after 50 mikes of "breaking in" , I had 9ne small radiator hose leak, which was fixed in 30 seconds....and I think, a power steering cooler leak. this is the only component in the entire system that i did not replace, and I have drips accumulating on the tubes when parked. Any suggestions? I am thinking about taking it off and silver soldering the hole and reinstalling. You have a better idea?
Better idea:
1667043460470.jpeg

The leaked turned out to be the transmission line elbow that screws in the radiator. the problem is when you tighten it, it points to the top and touches fan shroud. i guess i will put some teflon tape on ot and see if it will snug up and be more horizontal. it was dripping down on the pwr steering cooler.

also, thinking about selling my oem front bumper and running boards. I dont see ever needing them again.

on closer inspection, the elbow connects to the radiator with a compression fitting and will swivel. so , I loosened it up, rotated it to where i want it, and the tightened it with a 17mm wrench. pretty much problem solved.

Also, got the local Toyo stealership to warranty the power steering pump purchased from their competitor. The new one should be here tomorrow. I just need to remove mine so that we can swap.

I went the cheaper route on a winch purchase. i deliberated over this for several weeks and decided that i will likely use the winch once every 6 months and will not be taking serious risks on holes that I go through. I purchased the Smittybilt XRC 9500. It mounts fairly straighforward to the ARB Deluxe winch bumper.....except for the solenoid. I have been debating this for about a week now. I have decided to relocated the solenoid under the hood. A.) It does not not block airflow through the radiator there B.) Road grime debris, water, mud will not contaminate the control box if It is out of the way. C.) Smitty does not sell a relocation kit for the winch.

I will either make or have made some 4(O) wire leads to relocate it somewhere near the battery and call that a win.

Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom