Lets play devil's advocate and say you can afford a brand new genuine Toyota motor (or step back in time and are buying a brand new 80)... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Don't consider cost. As I've never bought a new vehicle ever in my life, I have totally no idea what the early-life servicing requirements relative just to the engine of any brand new vehicle are.

Does anyone with experience at this know what had to be done with a brand new 80 series fresh off the boat for engine servicing and what the time/km intervals were and what Toyota required to be done at each service interval to maintain warranty coverage for the engine up to expiry of the warranty period?

I'm guessing this varied a bit depending whether the 80 has a petrol or n/a diesel or turbo diesel engine fitted at the factory.

What actually was the warranty period when 80's were being made just out of interest? 1 yr? 2 yrs? 5 yrs? what was the km (or mile) limit for expiration of the warranty? Did the warranty period vary between countries (ie. say for USA vs Australia)?

My mother drove a new 1997 off the lot. It was the standard toyota warranty. 3 years comprehensive, 5 years powertrain. Nothing broke. In order to keep warranty coverage you had to change the oil every 5,000 miles and keep up with consumables. like brake jobs.

I bought mine new in 95, fzj80r auto
To be honest I dont think I would have changed anything from what I got being factory tint from Japan except for alloy wheels however in hindsight was probably a good move cause I have alloys now and Mud tyres on the original steel rims. Back then, and probably now, you do the paperwork etc and then the sales person dissapears for a bit and the attractive young girl comes along trying to sell you all this overpriced stuff most of which was 3rd party supported etc. i was polite so let her go through everything but in the end no.

Servicing every 10k @ Toyota and every 4th service was a 'bigger service' to maintain warranty which was the same as the previous post.
If i recall correctly, the smaller service back in 95/96 was around $280 and the big one $700 odd
what was done as part of each service, small & big, I will have to dig out my warranty and service booklets and then update this post but its pretty much inline with what the service manual says

When I was considering LPG I spoke to them and they said anything potentially damaged by LPG would not be covered under warranty which is fair enough. Ive had LPG on it since the beginning of 98 and still going strong. Afterall, these motors are also used in forklifts that run straight LPG

Don't consider cost. As I've never bought a new vehicle ever in my life, I have totally no idea what the early-life servicing requirements relative just to the engine of any brand new vehicle are.

Does anyone with experience at this know what had to be done with a brand new 80 series fresh off the boat for engine servicing and what the time/km intervals were and what Toyota required to be done at each service interval to maintain warranty coverage for the engine up to expiry of the warranty period?

I'm guessing this varied a bit depending whether the 80 has a petrol or n/a diesel or turbo diesel engine fitted at the factory.

What actually was the warranty period when 80's were being made just out of interest? 1 yr? 2 yrs? 5 yrs? what was the km (or mile) limit for expiration of the warranty? Did the warranty period vary between countries (ie. say for USA vs Australia)?
Are you jaymar’s burner account?

Ok so getting back to the point - brand new engine (in brand new 80 or not) - for warranty coverage just related to the engine the oil changes are the critical factor? When the motor is brand spanking new is anything special needing to be with services say in the first 10000 km?

What does Toyota actually do to 'test' new motors when they are manufactured? What is done when a vehicle is built with a new motor besides driving it a few km at the factory to where it sits before loading on a boat?

They were ran on a stand after assembly. This to check for any issues. This is why if you could still get new long blocks you would find the odd freeze plug has been changed after paint and so forth.

I built a brand new one for my 95 two years ago. With all new engines we build in the shop we break them in with conventional oil and then do the “break in” oil change going to full synthetic.

There is nothing you really need to do with a new engine other than maintenance regularly. As per the FSM and owners manual. Although I change my oil when it’s dirty and or by 4-5,000 miles max. Depending on how I use the Cruiser it gets dirty faster.

Cheers

Ok so getting back to the point - brand new engine (in brand new 80 or not) - for warranty coverage just related to the engine the oil changes are the critical factor? When the motor is brand spanking new is anything special needing to be with services say in the first 10000 km?

What does Toyota actually do to 'test' new motors when they are manufactured? What is done when a vehicle is built with a new motor besides driving it a few km at the factory to where it sits before loading on a boat?
Some folks also dump the first batch oil after a few hundred miles. Some after running for 30 minutes. Some both. Idea being to flush out any metal bits from first start, along with any residual lube/sealants/what-have-you from assembly. Not Toyota-required, but not a bad idea.

None of them are run. Zero. (And I know this for a fact: IE: I’ve seen Land Cruisers manufactured).

Toyota doesn’t need to. Zero engines are run after manufacture before placement into the frame.

Toyota has created a manufacturing system where they basically don’t need to check anything after the design and prototype phase.

They are manufactured, installed, 2.5 gals of fuel in the fuel tank, and then they are run on a dyno for about 20 seconds, and then they drive 500 feet to the holding yard before being shipped off.

How could anyone think that a company as large as Toyota that manufactures 9.5 million vehicles a year globally needs to run any engine before manufacture? That’s insane. A Land Cruiser comes off of 3 different manufacturing lines, at two different plants (at least in Japan: Yoshiwara and Fujimatsu) every 90 seconds, 16 hrs a day, 5 days a week.

Do the math.

The entire system assumes that the product (an engine for example) is already basically perfect from the POV of manufacture. That’s the whole point of the Toyota Production System: quality control and assurance is built into the design phase before anything even gets to mass manufacturing.

We are talking about global (IE: the entire ****ing planet earth) manufacturing. Every single little piece of the puzzle is corroborated well before the mass production stage.

Last edited:
None of them are run. Zero. (And I know this for a fact: IE: I’ve seen Land Cruisers manufactured).

Toyota doesn’t need to. Zero engines are run after manufacture before placement into the frame.

Toyota has created a manufacturing system where they basically don’t need to check anything after the design and prototype phase.

They are manufactured, installed, 2.5 gals of fuel in the fuel tank, and then they are run on a dyno for about 20 seconds, and then they drive 500 feet to the holding yard before being shipped off.

How could anyone think that a company as large as Toyota that manufactures 9.5 million vehicles a year globally needs to run any engine before manufacture? That’s insane. A Land Cruiser comes off of 3 different manufacturing lines, at two different plants (at least in Japan: Yoshiwara and Fujimatsu) every 90 seconds, 16 hrs a day, 5 days a week.

Do the math.

The entire system assumes that the product (an engine for example) is already basically perfect from the POV of manufacture. That’s the whole point of the Toyota Production System: quality control and assurance is built into the design phase before anything even gets to mass manufacturing.

We are talking about global (IE: the entire f***ing planet earth) manufacturing. Every single little piece of the puzzle is corroborated well before the mass production stage.

This is how I understood the process.

Manufacturing tolerances are so consistently managed, they are ready to fire up and drive away

I doubt any car manufacturer today would dyno each and every engine. As part of a QA system, I could them sampling engines at periodic intervals for conformance which might include dyno testing. We dyno tested every assembled engine (Detroit Diesel 6V53) when I was at General Motors Diesel Division where the Light Armoured Vehicles (LAVs) were built. However, production volume would have been 1-3/day.

Interesting feedback. I've never worked in any sort of job where stuff is manufactured en-mass as a highly-integrated electro-mechanical system, especially not in the way that Toyota does it.

OGBeno I hope you don't think I was being disrespectful. As a lay person with a strong interest in electrical and mechanical systems (as a train driver aka 'in field fault finder' when stuff goes wrong), I'm fascinated by insights into things like motor vehicle production as there's so much more to it than meets the eye.

As 80's are now 'vintage' discovering more about the methodology behind the design and manufacturing as well as the after-sales service and support is very interesting. That's part of why I find it incredible that places like amayama, etc. exist as they are a 'tap' into the vast after-sales support net built around Toyota's vehicles.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom