200 Owners, How long did you keep your last vehicle? (1 Viewer)

How long did you keep your last vehicle?

• Less then 10 years

Votes: 28 46.7%
  • 10-20 years

Votes: 27 45.0%
  • 20-30 Years

Votes: 5 8.3%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
this a is a piggy back question to this poll.

I am interested in seeing how many of the 200 owners around here have a history of keeping your vehicles for a long time.

1668099956708.png

I had an 80 series for a little over 10 years. I plan on keeping the LX at least that long.

First 4 wheel vehicle was 1977 Ford F100 I got from my dad in 1988 it lasted till 1995 when 1st and 6th cylinder lost rings (4.9 I6). Next was 1988 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe purchased used in 1994 it lasted till I wrecked it in 1997. Purchased new in 1997 Toyota T100 SR5 4x4 3.4v6 5speed still own still runs. My next daily driver was 2006 Honda Pilot that we purchased for wife in 2006 and I took over using in 2009. We sold it in 2018 to purchase the 2016 LC 200 that I still have.
Wife lists is Pontiac Grand Prix she had when I met her 1999. We replaced that with 2002 Infiniti G35 4door first year model. The G35 was replaced with 2006 Honda Pilot (that I took over driving) and that was replaced with 2009 Infiniti G37S Coupe we still have.

Bought my first car myself in 1987. A new FJ60. Still own it and occasionally drive it. Bought my second, a new 100, in 1998. Still own it and drive it at 450k miles. Bought my 200 new in 2015. Still own and drive with 102k miles. I have bought a lot of toy cars over the years but my daily drivers and fun vehicles are LCs and I never sell them.

Dunno if this keeping vehicles a long time or not...
  • Chevy K5 Blazer 1985-2000
  • 100 series LC 2000-2019
  • Still driving the 2006 Avalon

All of my cars hung around between 2 months and 1.5 years.

My ‘16 Tacoma was around for 2.5 years.

My LX will be 4 years in December.

Beyond finding the “right” vehicle, my age (maturity) was also a factor. The 20’s did not include a lot of good financial decisions.

First car: 1973 BMW 2002Tii. Bought in 1978, sold 2018. Around 300,00 miles. Broken speedometer.
1985 Nissan Pathfinder. Bought new and sold in 2004. 330,000 miles.
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 5.2L. Bought new and gave away in 2010. 220,000 miles and absolutely the worst and most unreliable car I have ever had.
2004 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition with V8. Bought new and traded in on my 2021 Land Cruiser Heritage. 230,000 miles. Loved that car.
2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 with TRD Off-Road option, TRD exhaust and CAI. Bought new and also traded in on the Land Cruiser. 240,000 miles. Drove it across country three times. Really miss that one too.

Both the 4Runner and Tundra ran like the day they were new when traded in. Wish I could have kept both but can't afford to have five cars.

Last edited:
I've had my 80 Series for 10 years, and I'm expecting to buy a 200 Series in a few years.
Lord, please don't make me sell my 80 Series in order to make that happen...

I've had my 80 Series for 10 years, and I'm expecting to buy a 200 Series in a few years.
Lord, please don't make me sell my 80 Series in order to make that happen...
No kidding. I sold mine even though I didn't really need to and I regret deeply.

No kidding. I sold mine even though I didn't really need to and I regret deeply.
Ouch, I'm sorry for your loss. Seriously, my 80 is slow, probably unsafe in an accident (compared to modern vehicles with multiple airbags, crumple zones and stability control), not that comfortable for more than a few hours... and I don't ever want to get rid of it.

I have a '94 80 I bought in 2001 which has 362K miles which I still drive regularly and love. So I've had it almost 22 years. Bought a '00 HE in January and unless something happens I'll still be driving it in 2050. Have a '97 Tacoma with 212K miles that I got from my dad after he passed. He had it a couple decades. He also had a '96 BMW he bought new. I get the maintain it and keep it mentality from him. I also have a 2008 mercedes ive had for 12 years with 166K miles now that still looks pristine except for front bumper rock chips. Drives like new and is still a machine so why get rid of it? Buy good stuff and maintain it and you don't keep getting depreciation hits and you don't keep paying taxes and fees to the government.

1998 LC bought new, traded it with 225,000 miles for CPO 2016 LC(8,000 miles) in 2017.

1983 Mercedes 300TD purchased new and still driving it(stored in winter) with 217,000 miles.

1971 BMW R60/5 motorcycle bought used in 1973--still riding it, but no more 500 mile days.

I just bought a 2019 LX. It’s a keeper. Up until now usually 6-8 years then I move to something else. I have a Miata 23 years, I’m never selling it!

Long term car owner here, however the rust belt area never allowed me to keep the vehicles as long as I wanted them...
The LX570 is out of service during winter months in hope of keeping it forever (MY Tundra takes over as the winter mobile until the salt is gone)

Well I am 38 and I have owned over 40 vehicles in my lifetime so it's safe to say that the turnover is pretty high. I keep track of it all and it appears that on average I keep vehicles 1.5 years. The longest I've owned a vehicle was just shy of seven years and that was a Jeep that was retired to trail use only the last few years that I had it. Our current 200 has been around for two years now and I plan to keep it for the foreseeable future. If I had to put an estimated time to keep on it I'd say at least 10 years if not more.

Sold my '90 Audi 200 turbo quattro avant with 250k on it, miss that one. A couple VW quantum synchro wagons that were each killed by deer at over 200k. A couple 80-series that went over 200k. '03 4Runner sold with 260k. Still have my '03 100-series with 260k, sitting in Hayden Idaho.

My boat has 48 years on a pair of 350 V8s, 600 hours or so.

I carry a lot of tools and heavy coat and stuff, for roadside repairs. Mostly end up stopping for other vehicles broke down, not often mine break down.

I've owned my 80 for 8 years and still own it, although it is currently inop with a blown motor. That's pretty much the longest I've owned any vehicle--I might have kept my old honda racecar a little longer, but it spent at least half of that time sitting in pieces in the front yard. Over the years I've had a ton of different Toyota 4x4's and lots of various other cars too. I buy and sell a lot and I usually keep a few at a time. I'd really have to rack my brain to say how many cars I've owned. My job requires a relatively new/fresh DD, so there is some turnover that happens due to that and not just because I'm restless when it comes to cars. But I am :eek:

Last edited:
The LC was my first toyota, and first brand new vehicle. Got it with around 24-30 miles on the clock. August 2018. I've always modified cars, mostly for going faster, and never had a plan to get rid of them, so much as them no longer being viable to put money into, or just wrecking them outright. Flipped a coupla pathfinders, blew up a Plymouth, things of that sort. Having started from scratch on this one, the same plan applies, modifications have begun, love the vehicle, so when my now 7 year old gets his license, hopefully he's taking it. Think it'll be fun when he's "the kid with the gas powered vehicle "

I'm not flippant with cars and I do usually keep awhile to get the most value out of, rather than any sentimental value. My favorites are the vehicles I can tinker with to see them through their full potential. Those I keep around for awhile.

2002 IS300, kept for 12 yrs. 2x motors, 3x transmissions, 5 sets of wheels later, she was a full blown Toyota Supra underneath with 2JZ-GTE with v161 getrag 6-speed.
2003 996TT, going on 10 yrs now. 2x big snails, 6x big injectors, and still tinkering with more intake and maybe meth injection. This one might stay a long time because new stuff doesn't drive this way anymore.
'09 LX570 will stay around so long as nothing else can replace its capabilities. Cybertruck might be that, and allow the LX to go full toy status.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom