any practical way to add a cabin filter ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 80 has no cabin filter - Dunno if any 80's ever got one? On mine, outside air draws in via vents on the scuttle plate then via three clip-in plastic 'grilles' under it to the intake path that goes via the cabin fan and out vents in the dash. No filtering.

Curious if anyone's ever worked out a practical solution to this? I wonder if it's even necessary?

Not really, there have been numerous posts and approaches, none are what anyone would call simple or easy to maintain or practical...or at least not on par with an OEM provided solution.

Solvefunction has a kit. But you may want to check that you can get in contact with Outsane before ordering. I have been trying to contact him about a gull wing window kit that I ordered for a couple of weeks now.

I cut a sheet of HVAC filter material to fit and placed it under the black plastic grills located under the windshield cowling. It won't filter all the air coming into the cabin as there are other smaller openings into that area, but it might get some of the dust??

Nice to see there are some ideas. On the RHD 80's the cabin fan is under the left side of the dash.

I think the hardest issue is coming up with ways to create filters that are actually functional but also fairly easy to remove/replace. I can't get all of the black plastic 'grilles' that sit under the cowl plate as new parts (in case I break any) but I think that generic AC filter material is fairly available.

The idea isn't to be a HEPA-style filter (but with the right filter material that might be possible) but capture most of the dust and debris particles in a way that means the filters can be easily cleaned (or the material just replaced with some new stuff).

Discussion from past years here. Ends with some pics and a vid of solve functions product as well.

Received this morning. Thank you.

I installed the @Outsane ‘s cabin air filter a couple weeks ago and added cut Filtrete HVAC paper filters under the plastic leaf guards at the same time. Holy crap it makes such a difference! Car is so much cleaner. Highly recommend. Still blows my mind that it shipped without a filter.

I installed the @Outsane ‘s cabin air filter a couple weeks ago and added cut Filtrete HVAC paper filters under the plastic leaf guards at the same time. Holy crap it makes such a difference! Car is so much cleaner. Highly recommend. Still blows my mind that it shipped without a filter.
Did I forget to pack the filter?

I installed the SolveFunction filter this past week. Haven’t tested it much yet, but excited to not have to keep the car on recirculate all the time to keep dust out.
2FDB322E-DB71-445D-9FA5-3802BACD9FA2.jpeg

Nice... on RHD 80's the cowl area looks like this with the plate removed

The air intake for the fan is way over on the left side (right side in the picture) and is practically impossible to reach.

Nice... on RHD 80's the cowl area looks like this with the plate removed

The air intake for the fan is way over on the left side (right side in the picture) and is practically impossible to reach.

The LHD is the same just mirror image. Install is a reach, but not too bad. @Outsane has a YouTube video of it.

Though I wonder if the air intake is a mirror image also and needs a mirror imagine of the filter, too

I noticed the lower cowl plate has a section that would be the air intake opening on a LHD 80 'filled in' as part of the panel pressing. ;) But I also noticed (with the LHS outer guard off) that the space under the main cowl plate actually drains out into the fender space on both sides so it's quite good at not having standing water sitting around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom