Shop Recommendation for Inspecting & Replacing (as needed) OEM Suspension Parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a one-owner '02 LC with 290K miles; I bought it new from Serra Toyota. The vehicle is all stock and the maintenance has been performed by Toyota dealers, Rob'e Mans or Express Oil over the last 20 years.

Other than the occasional dirt road on a farm, it has only been subjected to on-road use and I don't expect that to change. As evidenced by my length of ownership, I'm obviously satisfied by the stock performance for my purposes; my priority is on its reliability.

Despite its mileage / age, the vehicle is still rolling on its original suspension parts (I'm using that term to broadly encompass shocks, springs, bushings, etc.). I subjectively know that the suspension has deteriorated, but it's hard for me to pinpoint the issue. For example, rough potholed roads, railroad tracks, etc. are more jarring than I recall from the vehicle's early life. When Rob'e Man last changed the timing belt / water pump in 2021, I described those same symptoms and asked them to inspect the suspension components. They reported that the suspension looked good.

I have no interest in lifting the vehicle and I don't need a stiffer suspension setup. I just want to keep this old LC around and enjoy it. It's hard for me to believe that nothing within the suspension system needs replacement at this point and thus I wonder if Rob'e Mans is not the right shop for that inquiry.

Given that I would want OEM parts (assuming still available) to replace any worn items, which shop do you recommend for that type effort?

Also, I'm still on the original steering rack. The PS hose assembly was replaced a few years ago, but not the pump nor rack. If one was going to replace certain suspension items, would it be wise to replace the steering rack at the same time?

In advance, I appreciate your advice.

Send a message to @Bama4door he has a shop in Birmingham and does work on Land Cruiser's exclusively. Would recommend him without hesitation.

I have a one-owner '02 LC with 290K miles; I bought it new from Serra Toyota. The vehicle is all stock and the maintenance has been performed by Toyota dealers, Rob'e Mans or Express Oil over the last 20 years.

Other than the occasional dirt road on a farm, it has only been subjected to on-road use and I don't expect that to change. As evidenced by my length of ownership, I'm obviously satisfied by the stock performance for my purposes; my priority is on its reliability.

Despite its mileage / age, the vehicle is still rolling on its original suspension parts (I'm using that term to broadly encompass shocks, springs, bushings, etc.). I subjectively know that the suspension has deteriorated, but it's hard for me to pinpoint the issue. For example, rough potholed roads, railroad tracks, etc. are more jarring than I recall from the vehicle's early life. When Rob'e Man last changed the timing belt / water pump in 2021, I described those same symptoms and asked them to inspect the suspension components. They reported that the suspension looked good.

I have no interest in lifting the vehicle and I don't need a stiffer suspension setup. I just want to keep this old LC around and enjoy it. It's hard for me to believe that nothing within the suspension system needs replacement at this point and thus I wonder if Rob'e Mans is not the right shop for that inquiry.

Given that I would want OEM parts (assuming still available) to replace any worn items, which shop do you recommend for that type effort?

Also, I'm still on the original steering rack. The PS hose assembly was replaced a few years ago, but not the pump nor rack. If one was going to replace certain suspension items, would it be wise to replace the steering rack at the same time?

In advance, I appreciate your advice.
OTM Cruisers is THE go to now for cruisers and have done all of the 180k service on mine as well as replacing everything under the hood with OEM parts (tb/wp, radiator, belts/hoses, starter, plug/coils etc). I used robe mans for years for oil changes too but anything other than that goes to OTM .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom