What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (11 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That is the one…

you should look for Black Friday sale or similar… May be able to save some cash.

BTW- If you look up that amplifier review on YouTube, you will see that the output FAR exceeds the ratings on the box. And it is extremely discreet… Very high audio quality. Be sure to feed it plenty of power

Truck decided to start but run rough couple mornings ago. Chased down a misfire to cylinder 6 (again), where I had put a new cheapo coil just a few weeks ago. Replaced the coil (Denso) and plug (OEM-spec NGK) this time, just in case. I probably should have just swapped the coil, stuck the wires back on and fired up to see, but now I suspect I have 7 other spark plugs and/or coils that are due for some love. I'll probably pick some up and piecemeal this maintenance-mod as I can get to it. It's all running properly now, but if the plugs all look like this - they're due.

Hopped on the Lexus maintenance tracker thing last night to see - this truck has been through some stuff, but I haven't found a likely candidate for "here's the last time plugs were changed out," so I guess these are pretty old. Pretty sure this is carbon fouling from a dying coil more than anything else. Truck doesn't burn oil, but has been known to run a bit rich sometimes. Could be that gas smell is incomplete combustion?
57AA717B-76BC-4AC6-9161-E61B7C58ED2F.jpeg

Last edited:
Truck decided to start but run rough couple mornings ago. Chased down a misfire to cylinder 6 (again), where I had put a new cheapo coil just a few weeks ago. Replaced the coil (Denso) and plug (OEM-spec NGK) this time, just in case. I probably should have just swapped the coil, stuck the wires back on and fired up to see, but now I suspect I have 7 other spark plugs and/or coils that are due for some love. I'll probably pick some up and piecemeal this maintenance-mod as I can get to it. It's all running properly now, but if the plugs all look like this - they're due.

Hopped on the Lexus maintenance tracker thing last night to see - this truck has been through some stuff, but I haven't found a likely candidate for "here's the last time plugs were changed out," so I guess these are pretty old. Pretty sure this is carbon fouling from a dying coil more than anything else. Truck doesn't burn oil, but has been known to run a bit rich sometimes. Could be that gas smell is incomplete combustion?View attachment 3158124
Were any of the plugs loose? or only finger tight? The carbon on the threads would lead me to believe so. It is not uncommon for the plugs on these engines to get slightly loose, causing misfire issues.

Were any of the plugs loose? or only finger tight? The carbon on the threads would lead me to believe so. It is not uncommon for the plugs on these engines to get slightly loose, causing misfire issues.
I’d have to go pull it apart and see, but this one was roughly as tight as it seemed it should be. This cylinder is also the same one as the last time I had this particular CEL, so I just pulled the one plug and coil and replaced em. 🤷‍♂️

Replace 65k mile Falken Wildpeak AT3W with new. Great tires. The new ones are a bit quieter, but the old were by no means loud.

BC20C9C2-2E9B-49F7-B800-266F40526C07.jpeg

A2D32F7F-5B9A-4CD4-A43B-92EBC2DEFF76.jpeg

F99462AF-C13A-44DF-8E36-C6F9CC110E49.jpeg

I'd say you got a good run out of those!
And there was still over a quarter inch of tread. The trails roughed them up enough, especially the sidewalls, that I decided it was time.

So found a 2003 w/ 206K miles in super good shape (came from Oregon and the underneath looks almost new w/ zero rust!!) that I couldn't resist to buy for the price that I got her. So now I own 2001 and 2003 LCs. The 2001 will go to my son when he gets his license, seems like the right & safe vehicle for him. I wanted to baseline the 2003 so got the differential and transfer case fluids, spark plugs, new heaters Ts, new struts for the hood and tail gate and leds for the head and fog lights. Started tonight w/ the heater T's, the hot side was as expected, crumbled in place so that was fun trying to get all the pieces out of the hoses. It took me way too long in comparison when I did it on the 2001...anyways done...thank God. Moved to the rear differential and after PB blasting the fill plug, it didn't want to give. I'm worried that I'm going to strip the bolt so I'll let it sit overnight and try again tomorrow. Moved on to the fog lights and the passenger side bulb doesn't want to come out...so I'll try tomorrow and remove the tire to have some more room. Super excited w/ the new addition to the fam. This place has always been a great source of info!!!

new hundu.jpg

167k miles when textbook ABS failure happened. Limped home with limited braking and buzzer blarring. Heard about Andy Le on FB from @roadstr6. Andy was great - shipped a rebuild right away, responded quickly to noob questions, and talked me through the post install set up when I thought my ECU or a relay was fried. Kid hands + socket extensions & swivels helped avoid removing any dash components.

97F30806-8EB4-47D3-A7B3-11FBA4B5CAF4.jpeg

0C4B881C-0FA8-4A50-A03F-67EEC28308FB.jpeg

Not specifically LCX related but somewhat interesting…
POC: A handy dandy all in 1 motor stand, trolley and transporter. Still to add handles (RED), center the axle (it’s wobbly atm), paint, portable trailer lights (YELLOW) etc. T-piece is for vertical stability when at rest (BLUE)… but could add a few holes, use a tow hitch pin and keep it on for extra security when manual pushing/pulling around. 2 short v cutouts at the end that slides into the tow hitch and a few hammer blows to bend inwards and it slides in like a … (insert your own analogy here 😉 ).
Will probably use extra strapping from motor to car frame as a plan bravo. The seemingly illogical positioning is to safeguard against text&drive idiots and have the natural stress leaning towards the car, not away … still a bit of a work-in-progress but fairly chuffed at the results so far

AC18813F-5FD4-4E8C-AB49-C9B67E161B66.jpeg

7BEB6278-65C6-42B9-8667-CB5F0FBDFF78.jpeg

I spent $2,800 this week on repairs. Took it to the shop for brakes/repacking the wheel bearings and my hub was messed up, and they found a radiator leak that I thought was just a slow evaporation from my coolant overflow. Turns out the thermostat housing was also dorked up and warped because a previous owner used the wrong bolt. But at least they let me use a loaner RAV4 at no cost while they had my LX470 on the shop from Monday through Saturday. My only frustration was that each time they progressed and found something eating, it took another 24 hours to order parts.

They contacted me the second day in to tell me they messed radiator hose and were replacing it for free, but that’s when they found the thermostat housing issue. All in all, even though my brake job turned into as huge repair bill, I can’t be mad because Ralph Hayes Toyota in Anderson SC is a very reputable shop and they were awesome in getting me into a loaner SUV. And I’m very thankful that out the hub and radiator issues were found in the shop and not on the trail.

Now I gotta hit the Blue Ridge mountains tomorrow after not driving it for nearly a week.

Brand new @Dissent Off-road bumper and Smittybilt winch project complete. I got in some more work with the angle grinder, I'm practically a pro now. Worked late into Saturday night in the rain, then took it for a wash this morning. Man its sooo pretty.

PXL_20221105_141153374.jpg
PXL_20221106_202508609.jpg
PXL_20221105_151422266.jpg
PXL_20221105_152159422.jpg
PXL_20221106_202459538.jpg

Brand new @Dissent Off-road bumper and Smittybilt winch project complete. I got in some more work with the angle grinder, I'm practically a pro now. Worked late into Saturday night in the rain, then took it for a wash this morning. Man its sooo pretty.

Look pretty sweet! The wife is already telling me that I need to get a winch and bigger tires, because she wants to go mudding. But I need to get a few more issues addressed first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom